Re: Note Editor Macros

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2008
      > > I'm having some trouble with John's Note Editor macro. I've used this
      > > before, but it's been awhile. I'm attempting to copy endnotes to a
      > > separate file. The first few times I did this, I succeeded in creating the
      > > note editor file and copying the notes, but they all came out as Roman
      > > numerals in the editor document. (They're in Arabic numerals in the
      > > WP document.)

      In Tools > Outlining... , do you have custom settings for Outline Style?

      John R.
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2008
        John, thanks again for all your help. I will certainly try out the
        new note editor.

        I'm not sure what was going on. I was having intermittent issues with
        the note editor on two different Macs, a G3 iBook and a G4 mini
        (working with the files on both)--though the mini was originally
        configured using the WordPerfect files from the iBook; therefore, if
        that Endnote style was corrupted in some way, I probably transmitted
        it to the other machine. So I'll have to try out your suggestion
        about creating a new Endnote style.

        I don't recall ever changing any of the outline styles, and have
        rarely used the outline function, though I know that a number of our
        list members are quite enthusiastic about it.

        While my roman numeral problem went away (as did the more serious
        crashing problem), the only issue that remained was when my
        copyeditor emailed the other day to say that a number of my endnotes
        had the number "1" showing up after the endnote number. Not all of
        them, just enough that she thought it must have been deliberate. I
        had noticed these showing up when I was printing notes or moving them
        over to a separate file via Note Editor, and thought I had deleted
        them, but either I missed some of them, or they reappeared. There
        doesn't seem to be any pattern to which notes got the extra numbers,
        but my theory is that these were the notes that, at the time I had
        been editing them (in WordPerfect's note function, not the editor),
        my endnote numbers were disappearing (and I was clicking on the #
        icon on the editing window. So now that I've had time to reflect, it
        does seem like it could be some kind of corruption problem. However,
        please don't waste any time trying to duplicate it. It's not a
        pressing issue now, and if it happens again, you've given me some
        ideas about how I might resolve it.

        Thanks again. You've more than earned a mention in the
        "Acknowledgments" page of my book (an obscure academic book on 19th
        century Gothic and sensation fiction that will be published in
        limited numbers, end up on a few college library shelves, and likely
        be read by nearly no one!)
        ~Rick Albright