Re: Full-screen SheepShaver

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008
      John,

      That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
      misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
      instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
      with my error...

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008

        > That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
        > misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
        > instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
        > with my error...

        Not a problem, and thank you again for your exceptional contributions
        to WPMac.

        Applescript has a few commands that are misleadingly similar. Run tells
        an application to start as per its design, but doesn't make it the frontmost
        application. If you send a Run command to an application that's already
        running, different things may happen depending on how that application
        was written. Activate tells an app to run if it's not already running, and in
        any case brings it to the front, where GUI scripting can act on it. Launch
        starts the application but doesn't let it complete its startup procedure.
        With WP, for example, launching it will start it up but will not cause the
        OnStartup macro to execute; while Run and Activate will.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
          John,

          I'm going to save that message for future reference - very helpful to
          a complete Applescript beginner. I haven't actually started working in
          SheepShaver yet, but I'd like to get it working properly when I do.
          Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
          Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
          almost full screen.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

            > Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
            > Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
            > almost full screen.

            "Stained Glass" is part of the SS distribution, along with Underware, a
            control panel that runs After Dark modules as screensavers _and_ as
            an animated desktop background. Actually very cool.

            It's disabled in the distribution but can be turned on with Extensions
            Manager.

            Another control panel, disabled by default, that people might find
            useful is Last Resort, whichlogs keystrokes. I find it helpful as a
            backup . . . of last resort.

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              Wonderful! I never found that! Thank you.