Re: Full-screen SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008

      > I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
      > SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
      > a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
      > moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
      > always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
      > long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
      > file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.
      >
      > John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
      > to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
      > work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
      > unfortunately.

      What I tried, and which works fine here (MacBook Pro, Intel
      Core Duo, OS 10.4.11), was:

      tell application "SheepShaver" to activate

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008
        John,

        That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
        misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
        instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
        with my error...

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008

          > That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
          > misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
          > instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
          > with my error...

          Not a problem, and thank you again for your exceptional contributions
          to WPMac.

          Applescript has a few commands that are misleadingly similar. Run tells
          an application to start as per its design, but doesn't make it the frontmost
          application. If you send a Run command to an application that's already
          running, different things may happen depending on how that application
          was written. Activate tells an app to run if it's not already running, and in
          any case brings it to the front, where GUI scripting can act on it. Launch
          starts the application but doesn't let it complete its startup procedure.
          With WP, for example, launching it will start it up but will not cause the
          OnStartup macro to execute; while Run and Activate will.

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
            John,

            I'm going to save that message for future reference - very helpful to
            a complete Applescript beginner. I haven't actually started working in
            SheepShaver yet, but I'd like to get it working properly when I do.
            Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
            Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
            almost full screen.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

              > Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
              > Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
              > almost full screen.

              "Stained Glass" is part of the SS distribution, along with Underware, a
              control panel that runs After Dark modules as screensavers _and_ as
              an animated desktop background. Actually very cool.

              It's disabled in the distribution but can be turned on with Extensions
              Manager.

              Another control panel, disabled by default, that people might find
              useful is Last Resort, whichlogs keystrokes. I find it helpful as a
              backup . . . of last resort.

              John R.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                Wonderful! I never found that! Thank you.