Batchmond for OS9

  • George B. Richardson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
      Does anyone have a version of Batchmond that works on OS9? I have
      something stuck in the Trash that won't empty, and I'd like to take
      care of it with Batchmond.

      Alternatively, does someone know how to empty the trash when there's
      something in it that won't be emptied?

      TIA,
      GeorgeR.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
        On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:05 AM, George B. Richardson wrote:

        > Does anyone have a version of Batchmond that works on OS9? I have
        > something stuck in the Trash that won't empty, and I'd like to take
        > care of it with Batchmond.
        >
        > Alternatively, does someone know how to empty the trash when there's
        > something in it that won't be emptied?

        I think that you mean BatChmod, and no, there is no version for OS
        9. OS 9 is not based on UNIX like OS X is, and BatChmod is a UNIX-
        type tool.

        To force-trash an item in OS 9, create a new folder and put the item
        that you want to delete in it. Now, outside of that folder create a
        new item and give it exactly the same name as the item that you
        want to delete. Drag the new item to the folder. You will get a
        dialog box asking if you want to replace the old item with the new
        item. Click on Okay. The old item will be deleted, and only the
        new item will remain in the folder. Trash the new folder with the
        new item in it.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • George B. Richardson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
          Hi, Randy. Yes, I meant BatChmod. I tried your fix. Unfortunately, I
          could not replace the obdurate folder because it has locked items in
          it. The obdurate item that won't be emptied from the Trash is a
          folder called "Trashes". When I try to open the folder, it doesn't
          open. When I <Get Info> for that folder, it tells me that there is
          zero K on disk, for 3 items. I therefore conclude that there are
          locked, hidden items in the Trashes folder. I don't remember / know
          how to convince OS9 to show hidden items.

          So then I thought: Can i get at this from the OSX side of things? I
          quit out of SheepShaver and opened the HD.dmg in Leopard. I found
          Trashes on the OS9 Desktop, used a Widget to show hidden folders and
          found a "505" folder with miscellaneous empty folders and a couple of
          .DS Store items in Trashes. I then trashed the whole Trashes folder
          and emptied the trash on Leopard. Upon restarting SheepShaver, the
          Trashes folder was gone from the OS9 desktop, the lid was on the
          trash can and all is well with the world!

          Thanks for making me think outside the box!

          George Richardson