Disk Images

  • utterlynotme
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      On Aug. 2, 2008, at 03:41 , wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Re: Disk error full.(-34) solved
      Posted by: "jeraldbricker" jeraldbricker@... jeraldbricker
      Fri Aug 1, 2008 12:36 pm (PDT)

      P.S. I final question I do have is how do I "upgrade" my Sheepshaver
      hard drive to give me greater storage capacity. I have a 350 Gb
      hard drive on my iMac and would like to have as big of a SS hard
      drive (500 Mb or 1 Gb) as possible.

      Your patient reply about emptying the trash was heroic.
      Thanks for contributing your observation of that weird
      behaviour. I haven't noticed it myself yet.

      I recently wasted two hours trying to use sparse disk
      images with Sheepshaver. With the Mac, the system supports
      disk images of various kinds. If the developer just uses
      high level calls, then it won't matter what kind of image.
      The user can choose any of the many kinds of image, and the
      application will just work.

      A 'sparse' image means that although the image will
      *appear* to be one size, it will actually only consume the
      amount of hard drive space that it actually contains. So,
      you could allocate 350 gb for Sheepshaver, and it would
      still only use up the amount of space you actually wrote. A
      very good solution.

      And there is a better solution, the 'sparse disk bundle'.
      The problem with any disk image, vis a vis backups, is that
      your backup program will detect that it is changed, and
      then write the whole huge thing to backup every interval.
      With the new Mac 'Time Machine', that is every hour. So,
      this kind of image is actually written as a folder full of
      'tracks' called a 'bundle'. Very clever! So only the
      changed track(s) must be backed up.

      The other issue is whether the disk image can be mounted
      and read by the host system. That's super handy. You can
      just mount it and write and read whether Sheepshaver is
      running or not. It's super convenient for copying back and
      forth between the environments. To be cautious, do it only
      when Sheepshaver is not running. But when you use the
      Sheepshaver prefs GUI app to create the disk image, you get
      something that the mac host can't mount. Happily,
      Sheepshaver now works with regular disk images, sort

      Unfortunately, I couldn't get Sheepshaver to work with
      sparse disk bundles at all. It would work with a sparse
      bundle for a while, then suddenly take a notion that it
      needed to be reformatted. After it had done so, it could no
      longer be mounted by the host system (which said it didn't
      contain a known file system), and it was no longer small.
      Apparently, Sheepshaver had written zeros to the entire
      allocated size.

      I had similar intermittent troubles using the Extended File
      System (HFS+). That was bitter, because you need to use
      'Extended' to turn on the super stable 'journalling'
      option. With 'journalling' on, your disk directory cannot
      become corrupt, because it writes some sort of a note to
      itself before attempting any change. If there is a crash
      during the change, which is what causes corruption, then
      the next time it mounts, it reads the note and undoes the
      problem. Being unable to use it is definitely Sheepshaver,
      not the Classic System because anything over Mac 8.1 can
      understand HFS+.

      So, I guess the developers of Sheepshaver must have chosen
      to write their own routines or make low level system calls
      to work with disk images. I'm sure they had good reasons,
      but then they should work much harder to support all the
      kinds of images available, and apparently they haven't done
      so yet.

      So, I highly recommend that you use Disk Utility to create
      regular disk images with just the 'Standard Mac' format
      until the developers fix this.

      Now, as to enlarging an existing image: Sorry, I don't
      think you can do that. Disk Utility has a 'resize' button,
      but I found it only works with some kinds of image, and
      only downwards. Obviously you can just make a newer, bigger
      image, mount them both and copy the contents from your old
      one to your new one.