Re: Full-screen SheepShaver

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
      Here's a more elegant version of the script (though without John's suggestion
      of simply telling SheepShaver to run - will try that next):

      As before, the line that begins "open application file" through "startup disk" is ONE LINE:

      tell application "Finder"
      activate
      open application file "SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008.app" of folder "SheepShaver
      folder" of folder "edward" of folder "Users" of startup disk
      end tell

      tell application "System Events"
      repeat until (process "SheepShaver" exists)
      delay 0.1
      end repeat
      tell process "SheepShaver"
      repeat until window 1 exists
      delay 0.1
      end repeat
      end tell
      tell process "SheepShaver"
      tell window 1
      set position to {0, 0}
      end tell
      end tell
      end tell

      > Nice tip! I hadn't realized that System Events could set window position.

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
        I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
        SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
        a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
        moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
        always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
        long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
        file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.

        John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
        to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
        work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
        unfortunately.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008

          > I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
          > SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
          > a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
          > moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
          > always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
          > long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
          > file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.
          >
          > John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
          > to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
          > work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
          > unfortunately.

          What I tried, and which works fine here (MacBook Pro, Intel
          Core Duo, OS 10.4.11), was:

          tell application "SheepShaver" to activate

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008
            John,

            That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
            misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
            instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
            with my error...

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008

              > That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
              > misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
              > instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
              > with my error...

              Not a problem, and thank you again for your exceptional contributions
              to WPMac.

              Applescript has a few commands that are misleadingly similar. Run tells
              an application to start as per its design, but doesn't make it the frontmost
              application. If you send a Run command to an application that's already
              running, different things may happen depending on how that application
              was written. Activate tells an app to run if it's not already running, and in
              any case brings it to the front, where GUI scripting can act on it. Launch
              starts the application but doesn't let it complete its startup procedure.
              With WP, for example, launching it will start it up but will not cause the
              OnStartup macro to execute; while Run and Activate will.

              John R.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                John,

                I'm going to save that message for future reference - very helpful to
                a complete Applescript beginner. I haven't actually started working in
                SheepShaver yet, but I'd like to get it working properly when I do.
                Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                almost full screen.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                  > Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                  > Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                  > almost full screen.

                  "Stained Glass" is part of the SS distribution, along with Underware, a
                  control panel that runs After Dark modules as screensavers _and_ as
                  an animated desktop background. Actually very cool.

                  It's disabled in the distribution but can be turned on with Extensions
                  Manager.

                  Another control panel, disabled by default, that people might find
                  useful is Last Resort, whichlogs keystrokes. I find it helpful as a
                  backup . . . of last resort.

                  John R.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                    Wonderful! I never found that! Thank you.