Re: Full-screen SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
      Nice tip! I hadn't realized that System Events could set window position.

      > Edit the following Applescript so that the file locations match your
      > system. Notice that "open application ... startup disk" is all ONE
      > LINE:
      >
      > tell application "Finder"
      > activate
      > open application file "SheepShaver.app" of folder "SheepShaver folder" of folder
      > "yournamehere" of folder "Users" of startup disk
      > end tell
      > delay 2
      > tell application "System Events"
      > tell process "SheepShaver"
      > tell window 1
      > set position to {0, 0}
      > end tell
      > end tell
      > end tell

      Another way is telling the application itself to activate, rather
      than having the Finder do it:

      tell application "SheepShaver" to activate

      If the script can't locate SheepShaver on its own, it will ask you for
      the location, and save that info with the script the first time
      it runs.

      Thank you,
      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
        Here's a more elegant version of the script (though without John's suggestion
        of simply telling SheepShaver to run - will try that next):

        As before, the line that begins "open application file" through "startup disk" is ONE LINE:

        tell application "Finder"
        activate
        open application file "SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008.app" of folder "SheepShaver
        folder" of folder "edward" of folder "Users" of startup disk
        end tell

        tell application "System Events"
        repeat until (process "SheepShaver" exists)
        delay 0.1
        end repeat
        tell process "SheepShaver"
        repeat until window 1 exists
        delay 0.1
        end repeat
        end tell
        tell process "SheepShaver"
        tell window 1
        set position to {0, 0}
        end tell
        end tell
        end tell

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
          I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
          SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
          a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
          moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
          always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
          long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
          file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.

          John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
          to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
          work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
          unfortunately.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008

            > I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
            > SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
            > a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
            > moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
            > always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
            > long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
            > file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.
            >
            > John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
            > to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
            > work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
            > unfortunately.

            What I tried, and which works fine here (MacBook Pro, Intel
            Core Duo, OS 10.4.11), was:

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008
              John,

              That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
              misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
              instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
              with my error...

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008

                > That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
                > misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
                > instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
                > with my error...

                Not a problem, and thank you again for your exceptional contributions
                to WPMac.

                Applescript has a few commands that are misleadingly similar. Run tells
                an application to start as per its design, but doesn't make it the frontmost
                application. If you send a Run command to an application that's already
                running, different things may happen depending on how that application
                was written. Activate tells an app to run if it's not already running, and in
                any case brings it to the front, where GUI scripting can act on it. Launch
                starts the application but doesn't let it complete its startup procedure.
                With WP, for example, launching it will start it up but will not cause the
                OnStartup macro to execute; while Run and Activate will.

                John R.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                  John,

                  I'm going to save that message for future reference - very helpful to
                  a complete Applescript beginner. I haven't actually started working in
                  SheepShaver yet, but I'd like to get it working properly when I do.
                  Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                  Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                  almost full screen.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                    > Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                    > Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                    > almost full screen.

                    "Stained Glass" is part of the SS distribution, along with Underware, a
                    control panel that runs After Dark modules as screensavers _and_ as
                    an animated desktop background. Actually very cool.

                    It's disabled in the distribution but can be turned on with Extensions
                    Manager.

                    Another control panel, disabled by default, that people might find
                    useful is Last Resort, whichlogs keystrokes. I find it helpful as a
                    backup . . . of last resort.

                    John R.
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                      Wonderful! I never found that! Thank you.