Full-screen SheepShaver

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
      A few messages here have focused on how to make SheepShaver
      run with as little OS X screen elements as possible. The following
      method will make SheepShaver run almost full-screen; it will
      still have a title bar at the top (this probably has to be removed
      in the program itself) but the OS X menu bar and dock will be
      invisible.

      First, edit the SheepShaver info.plist file as spelled out here:

      http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070118003804854

      Remember that "integer" is the same as "number" if you use the
      Property List Editor supplied by Apple. (Search Google for details.)

      Next, use SheepShaverPrefs and set the screen width at zero (the
      number); if you choose Maximum in the drop-down list, it will
      set it at zero for you.

      Set the screen height to your actual screen height in pixels MINUS
      21. So, for my 800-pixel-high screen, I set this to 779.

      Edit the following Applescript so that the file locations match your
      system. Notice that "open application ... startup disk" is all ONE
      LINE:

      tell application "Finder"
      activate
      open application file "SheepShaver.app" of folder "SheepShaver folder" of folder
      "yournamehere" of folder "Users" of startup disk
      end tell
      delay 2
      tell application "System Events"
      tell process "SheepShaver"
      tell window 1
      set position to {0, 0}
      end tell
      end tell
      end tell

      The "delay 2" line can probably be "delay 1" and it would be more
      elegant to test for the existence of the process instead of using
      a delay, but this works.

      SheepShaver will run full-screen, with only the SheepShaver
      window's titlebar at the top of the screen. I tried using
      MegaZoomer (search for this) to remove the title bar, but it
      doesn't work with SheepShaver, perhaps because the window
      size is fixed by the prefs file?
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
        Nice tip! I hadn't realized that System Events could set window position.

        > Edit the following Applescript so that the file locations match your
        > system. Notice that "open application ... startup disk" is all ONE
        > LINE:
        >
        > tell application "Finder"
        > activate
        > open application file "SheepShaver.app" of folder "SheepShaver folder" of folder
        > "yournamehere" of folder "Users" of startup disk
        > end tell
        > delay 2
        > tell application "System Events"
        > tell process "SheepShaver"
        > tell window 1
        > set position to {0, 0}
        > end tell
        > end tell
        > end tell

        Another way is telling the application itself to activate, rather
        than having the Finder do it:

        tell application "SheepShaver" to activate

        If the script can't locate SheepShaver on its own, it will ask you for
        the location, and save that info with the script the first time
        it runs.

        Thank you,
        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
          Here's a more elegant version of the script (though without John's suggestion
          of simply telling SheepShaver to run - will try that next):

          As before, the line that begins "open application file" through "startup disk" is ONE LINE:

          tell application "Finder"
          activate
          open application file "SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008.app" of folder "SheepShaver
          folder" of folder "edward" of folder "Users" of startup disk
          end tell

          tell application "System Events"
          repeat until (process "SheepShaver" exists)
          delay 0.1
          end repeat
          tell process "SheepShaver"
          repeat until window 1 exists
          delay 0.1
          end repeat
          end tell
          tell process "SheepShaver"
          tell window 1
          set position to {0, 0}
          end tell
          end tell
          end tell

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
            I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
            SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
            a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
            moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
            always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
            long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
            file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.

            John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
            to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
            work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
            unfortunately.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008

              > I tried John's suggestion of simply using "tell application
              > SheepShaver to run" at the top of the script I posted in
              > a previous message, but the SheepShaver window never
              > moved to the top of the screen when I did this - while it
              > always moved to the top of the screen when I used the
              > long-winded command (telling the Finder to run the
              > file in a specific location) in the script that I posted.
              >
              > John, did you test this with "tell application SheepShaver
              > to run"? If it worked on your system, it will presumably
              > work elsewhere too, but it doesn't work on my system,
              > unfortunately.

              What I tried, and which works fine here (MacBook Pro, Intel
              Core Duo, OS 10.4.11), was:

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008
                John,

                That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
                misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
                instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
                with my error...

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2008

                  > That is what you originally suggested, and it works perfectly. My mistake was
                  > misremembering the command and using "run" which doesn't work correctly,
                  > instead of "activate" which works perfectly. Apologies for wasting your time
                  > with my error...

                  Not a problem, and thank you again for your exceptional contributions
                  to WPMac.

                  Applescript has a few commands that are misleadingly similar. Run tells
                  an application to start as per its design, but doesn't make it the frontmost
                  application. If you send a Run command to an application that's already
                  running, different things may happen depending on how that application
                  was written. Activate tells an app to run if it's not already running, and in
                  any case brings it to the front, where GUI scripting can act on it. Launch
                  starts the application but doesn't let it complete its startup procedure.
                  With WP, for example, launching it will start it up but will not cause the
                  OnStartup macro to execute; while Run and Activate will.

                  John R.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                    John,

                    I'm going to save that message for future reference - very helpful to
                    a complete Applescript beginner. I haven't actually started working in
                    SheepShaver yet, but I'd like to get it working properly when I do.
                    Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                    Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                    almost full screen.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008

                      > Right now, I use SheepShaver mostly to run the old After Dark "Stained
                      > Glass" screen saver, which looks very nice with SheepShaver running
                      > almost full screen.

                      "Stained Glass" is part of the SS distribution, along with Underware, a
                      control panel that runs After Dark modules as screensavers _and_ as
                      an animated desktop background. Actually very cool.

                      It's disabled in the distribution but can be turned on with Extensions
                      Manager.

                      Another control panel, disabled by default, that people might find
                      useful is Last Resort, whichlogs keystrokes. I find it helpful as a
                      backup . . . of last resort.

                      John R.
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                        Wonderful! I never found that! Thank you.