Re: [wpmac] Disk error full.(-34) solved

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2008
      >jeraldbricker wrote:
      >
      >I figured out the source of my problem. Evidently, if the trash on
      >the Unix (Mac OS X) drive contains a large number of items it
      >creates an error in Sheepshaver. Mac Classic thinks the (virtual)
      >hard drive is full.

      It is full! Putting a file in the trash doesn't remove it from your
      hard drive until you empty the trash. It's like moving it from one
      folder to another.
      --

      Bob Stern
    • jeraldbricker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        I hadn't realized that you had to empty the trash to remove
        files from the hard drive. When did they come up with that
        feature and where have I been the last 20 some odd years!?

        All kidding aside, what I meant was that I have a specific folder
        OS X folder set in Sheepshaver to be the Unix drive. Dumping
        files into Trash from any location in OS X starts to fill up the
        OS X Trash but that's not a problem since the hard drive is
        clearly large enough to handle those files. What I did have
        some trouble understanding was that those files would also
        begin to fill up the SS/Mac Classic Trash even though they
        had never been used or accessed in SS. This created some
        confusion on my part when I first set up SS and was installing
        Classic programs other than Wordperfect. I couldn't figure out
        why I kept getting a disk full message even though I had only
        installed a few programs in SS/Classic requiring a small amount
        of hard drive space. When I emptied the OS X trash the space in
        Classic magically became available.

        Of course this makes sense to me now but it is a feature of SS
        that others might have trouble with. For my part, I plan on
        managing my OS X Trash a bit differently from now on. I had
        been in the practice of trashing files and leaving them there for
        days or weeks "just in case." That practice will evidently cause
        some conflict with SS since the capacity of the virtual hard
        drive is much smaller than OS X. The next time I get a "disk
        error" in Wordperfect I'll know to suspect that rather than
        immediately assuming there's a corruption in my SS install.

        Cheers!

        JB

        P.S. I final question I do have is how do I "upgrade" my Sheepshaver
        hard drive to give me greater storage capacity. I have a 350 Gb
        hard drive on my iMac and would like to have as big of a SS hard
        drive (500 Mb or 1 Gb) as possible.