re: upgrading the OS in SheepShaver

  • kelebrate
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
      Hi there,

      I'm fairly new to Macs - just got a new iMac. My wife has an eMac
      that she has some old apps that run in Classic mode on OS 9
      (quark xpress 5 and illustrtor 8 - photoshop 7)

      I've installed SheepShaver no problem on the new computer and
      it works like a charm (thanks for that, btw!).

      Basically, I'm wondering how to go about upgrading the OS in SS
      to OS 9. We don't have any of the OS installation discs and the
      apple download site only has version upgrades it seems.

      Can I upgrade directly from 7.5 to OS9 with an OS9 install disc?
      If so, do you know the best place to get one?

      Thanks for the help!
    • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 04:35:17PM -0000, kelebrate wrote:

        > Basically, I'm wondering how to go about upgrading the OS in SS
        > to OS 9. We don't have any of the OS installation discs and the
        > apple download site only has version upgrades it seems.

        Yes. Although Apple was kind enough to leave system disks up to 7.5
        (except 7.1) up for free download, anything after that has to be bought.

        The problem with that is Apple no longer sells them, you either have to
        buy NOS (new old stock) from a dealer or a used copy.

        > Can I upgrade directly from 7.5 to OS9 with an OS9 install disc?
        > If so, do you know the best place to get one?

        Yes. Up to MacOs 9.0.4. Anything later or an upgrade beyond it will
        not work properly (or at all).

        Best is relative. If you want a factory fresh disk in it's original box
        with whatever paperwork came with it, then you should find a dealer.

        If a used, but working, disk is ok for you then you should try the local
        FREECYCLE and similar on-line lists to see if someone will give you or
        sell you one cheaply.

        You can ask at a local Mac user's group/email list (if there is one), and
        post your general location here, someone nearby may be able to help you.

        The owner of this list has gone to considerable effort to put together a
        working Sheepshaver system complete with a disk image containing
        a good OS, WordPerfect 3.5e and several useful utilities.

        If you have a good enough Internet connection, you should download it
        and use that instead it will save you a lot of work (look in the links/
        sheepshaver section).

        Geoff.
        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM