Still Stuck

  • reader951
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      Hi all,
      I posted about a week ago but still having problems,

      I have used WP under OS9 - worked fine while I had 10.4. I had to
      upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 so classic no longer works.

      I downloaded the SS-WP1.1.zip. I double clicked and followed the
      instructions.

      1. I never get the SheepShaver desktop - when I click it bounces
      a few times then disappears.

      2. I thought that might be normal so tried double clicking wp
      only to be told it was classic and could not run.

      I have tried several times clearing all the files and starting over
      but nothing works, though sometimes I could not get the
      settings to "stick".

      I assume I'm missing something obvious but I cannot tell what
      it might be. As a last resort I'm redownloading the file but I
      suspect it's the operator and not the file.

      I am running an iBook 1.42, OS 10.5.4 [also not work under
      10.5.3]

      Neooffice and open office do not handle the formating I must
      use and send back.

      Thank you for your assistance,

      Jean
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "reader951" <jsparks951@...> wrote:

        > 1. I never get the SheepShaver desktop - when I click it bounces
        > a few times then disappears.

        Your SheepShaver prefs file may have become corrupted. Take a utility
        like the free EasyFind (link in the Links section here), which can find
        and delete invisible files, and look in your Home folder for

        .SheepShaver_Prefs

        (note that the file name begins with a period). Delete that file.

        I'd then download a newer version of SS than our install package has
        (updated install package is on the way, though) from the link
        "SheepShaver download site" in the Links section here. That has
        two versions, an S and an H. Try the H.

        John R.
      • a1ruffy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "reader951" <jsparks951@> wrote:
          >
          > > 1. I never get the SheepShaver desktop - when I click it bounces
          > > a few times then disappears.
          >
          > Your SheepShaver prefs file may have become corrupted. Take a utility
          > like the free EasyFind (link in the Links section here), which can find
          > and delete invisible files, and look in your Home folder for
          >
          > .SheepShaver_Prefs
          >
          > (note that the file name begins with a period). Delete that file.
          >
          > I'd then download a newer version of SS than our install package has
          > (updated install package is on the way, though) from the link
          > "SheepShaver download site" in the Links section here. That has
          > two versions, an S and an H. Try the H.
          >
          > John R.

          John

          If I may "tack on" to this thread. I am having same problem as
          the OP here, though only for the past few days. A few weeks
          ago, while trying to get SS configured on my G4 PPC running
          10.5.3 (or maybe 10.5.2 at that point) I found and downloaded
          your install package. All worked great from the get-go. I then
          updated to OS 9 on SS and all
          continued well. Bliss.

          Two days ago, had to erase my OS X boot volume and restore
          from backup. All perfect, except SS will no longer run. The prefs
          file on the backup was haywire (why I do not know) and
          apparently trying to run with that on the restored volume
          created the problem.

          BUT I have tried every sort of deinstall and reinstall I know, even
          verified after a native OS 9 boot that all files on the SS volume
          look ok, System Folder is blessed, etc., etc. Only anomaly I
          have found is that when first trying to start after a fresh
          (re)install, SS creates not only its own .sheepshaver_prefs file
          but also another called
          com.yourcompany.sheepshaverprefs.plist in the /user/"myname"/
          library/preferences folder. Have deleted both, of course.

          Anyway, symptoms on startup are just like OP describes. Two
          or three dock bounces of icon and that's all. It did this for me
          at the first when it could not find its ROM but the ROM I'm using
          now is "yours" from your dowload package, which worked fine.
          The prefs as I have them set now are identical to when the setup
          worked perfectly.

          Sorry for the long post, but I'm tearing my hair. And I not only
          need my WP, but also my calendar and address book. Any help
          greatly appreciated. --SS Newbie--
        • reader951
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
            Thank you John. The preference corruption was the issue. I am
            now up and running WP.

            The "H" version did not work as I am running a PPC Mac
            [iBook G4]. Nor will the "S" - apparently they need the intel chip
            set.

            Now I have another issue - the files I am receiving cannot be
            recognized by WP though on get info they show as WP files.
            My workaround is opening them in Neo Office, copying
            then quitting Neo Office then pasting in WP. Unfortunately
            this means I lose most of the formating. [As an aside the 2
            page document shows as 50+ pages in Neo Office but only 5
            in WP.] Obviously I'd much rather correct fonts and other
            settings on 5 pages to 2 rather than 50! to 2. I tried the
            droplet but it says I cannot use because I'm not running classic.

            If there is any way to work around this? If not I can cope
            with the Neo Office work around.

            Thank you,

            Jean

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "reader951" <jsparks951@> wrote:
            >
            > > 1. I never get the SheepShaver desktop - when I click it bounces
            > > a few times then disappears.
            >
            > Your SheepShaver prefs file may have become corrupted. Take a utility
            > like the free EasyFind (link in the Links section here), which can find
            > and delete invisible files, and look in your Home folder for
            >
            > .SheepShaver_Prefs
            >
            > (note that the file name begins with a period). Delete that file.
            >
            > I'd then download a newer version of SS than our install package has
            > (updated install package is on the way, though) from the link
            > "SheepShaver download site" in the Links section here. That has
            > two versions, an S and an H. Try the H.
            >
            > John R.

          • a1ruffy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "a1ruffy" <a1ruffy@...> wrote:

              > If I may "tack on" to this thread. I am having same problem as
              > the OP here, though only for the past few days. A few weeks
              > ago, while trying to get SS configured on my G4 PPC running
              > 10.5.3 (or maybe 10.5.2 at that point) I found and downloaded
              > your install package. All worked great from the get-go. I then
              > updated to OS 9 on SS and all
              > continued well. Bliss.
              >
              > Two days ago, had to erase my OS X boot volume and restore
              > from backup. All perfect, except SS will no longer run. The prefs
              > file on the backup was haywire (why I do not know) and
              > apparently trying to run with that on the restored volume
              > created the problem.
              >
              > BUT I have tried every sort of deinstall and reinstall I know, even
              > verified after a native OS 9 boot that all files on the SS volume
              > look ok, System Folder is blessed, etc., etc. Only anomaly I
              > have found is that when first trying to start after a fresh
              > (re)install, SS creates not only its own .sheepshaver_prefs file
              > but also another called
              > com.yourcompany.sheepshaverprefs.plist in the /user/"myname"/
              > library/preferences folder. Have deleted both, of course.
              >
              > Anyway, symptoms on startup are just like OP describes. Two
              > or three dock bounces of icon and that's all. It did this for me
              > at the first when it could not find its ROM but the ROM I'm using
              > now is "yours" from your dowload package, which worked fine.
              > The prefs as I have them set now are identical to when the setup
              > worked perfectly.
              >
              > Sorry for the long post, but I'm tearing my hair. And I not only
              > need my WP, but also my calendar and address book. Any help
              > greatly appreciated. --SS Newbie--

              Well, reply to my own message. Please disregard it. Never fails,
              holler for help and within 15 minutes the problem is solved. I am
              a little embarrassed, but want to post this in case it ever helps
              anyone else.

              In desperation after the above message, I finally downloaded the
              10.5.3 combo updater from Apple (yes, I was already running
              10.5.3) and ran it against my boot volume. I had upgraded
              Leopard, as is my usual practice, with each Delta from Apple,
              rather than with Software Update or a combo. Of course, SS was
              running fine this way.

              Anyway, on first reboot after this, SS runs great. In fact I have two
              copies running right now, my modified one (OS 9 with my stuff)
              and another of yours which I'd installed while trouble shooting
              (which also did not run before.)

              What's different? Damfino. All looks the same, but once the
              System stuff was reapplied, just double clicked the SS icon and off
              we went.

              Sorry to take time here and wish I knew exactly what/how the
              refresh of Leopard fixed, but at least it did. Maybe tuck away
              in the "desperate" file, just in case....