Re: editing and saving to .wpd ~Batch process via drag&drop!!!

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2 7:10 PM
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

      > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
      > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
      > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
      > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
      > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
      > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
      > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
      > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
      >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
      > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
      > bought me a new PC.
      >
      > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
      > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Tracy

      Hey Tracy,

      The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
      faster than PC's.

      But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
      up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
      written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

      Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
      proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

      I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

      I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

      thanks for your opinion.

      mike
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2 7:19 PM

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
        >
        > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
        > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
        > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
        > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
        >
        > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
        > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
        > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
        > problem at all.
        >
        > John R.

        Thanks John.

        Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
        this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
        to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
        anything understandable to a newbee...

        I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
        program from Australia

        Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

        Nothing worked...

        Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
        it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

        I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
        WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
        (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

        I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

        But I could never even "start".

        Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

        Thanks for all your help.

        Mike
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3 6:44 AM
          I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
          final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
          doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
          he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
          instructions. He will then have a completely automated
          method already available that he can use in his current
          WP setup on the Sony laptop:

          http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

          Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
          at this address:

          http://wpuniverse.com

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

          > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
          > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
          > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
          > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
          > exports/translations, etc.
        • Douglas Bouley
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3 7:38 AM
            Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

            -Doug

            Edward Mendelson wrote:
            > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
            > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
            > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
            > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
            > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
            > method already available that he can use in his current
            > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
            >
            > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
            >
            > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
            > at this address:
            >
            > http://wpuniverse.com

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3 7:47 AM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

              > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
              > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
              > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
              > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
              > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
              > method already available that he can use in his current
              > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

              What?

              The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
              .wpd format on a Mac: period.

              He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

              Thanks,

              Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
              procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
              requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

              Mike
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4 6:37 AM
                OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                the Sony machine and the Mac.

                All the information you need is right here.