Re: [wpmac] editing and saving to .wpd ~Batch process via drag&drop!!!

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

      > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
      > need is something like this.
      >
      > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
      >
      > 2. Edit the file.
      >
      > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
      >
      > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
      > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
      >
      > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
      > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
      >
      > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
      > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

      You got it exactly.

      The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

      And is there a link to DL this program?

      Thanks,

      Mike
    • Tracy Gromer
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
        I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

        Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

        Good luck,

        Tracy

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

          > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
          > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
          > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
          > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
          > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
          > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
          > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
          > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
          >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
          > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
          > bought me a new PC.
          >
          > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
          > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
          >
          > Good luck,
          >
          > Tracy

          Hey Tracy,

          The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
          faster than PC's.

          But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
          up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
          written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

          Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
          proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

          I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

          I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

          thanks for your opinion.

          mike
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
            >
            > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
            > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
            > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
            > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
            >
            > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
            > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
            > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
            > problem at all.
            >
            > John R.

            Thanks John.

            Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
            this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
            to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
            anything understandable to a newbee...

            I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
            program from Australia

            Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

            Nothing worked...

            Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
            it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

            I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
            WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
            (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

            I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

            But I could never even "start".

            Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

            Thanks for all your help.

            Mike
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
              I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
              final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
              doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
              he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
              instructions. He will then have a completely automated
              method already available that he can use in his current
              WP setup on the Sony laptop:

              http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

              Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
              at this address:

              http://wpuniverse.com

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

              > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
              > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
              > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
              > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
              > exports/translations, etc.
            • Douglas Bouley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                -Doug

                Edward Mendelson wrote:
                > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                > method already available that he can use in his current
                > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                >
                > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                >
                > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                > at this address:
                >
                > http://wpuniverse.com

              • Michael
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                  > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                  > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                  > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                  > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                  > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                  > method already available that he can use in his current
                  > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                  What?

                  The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                  .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                  He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                  Thanks,

                  Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                  procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                  requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                  Mike
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                    OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                    and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                    links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                    As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                    doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                    Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                    create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                    the Sony machine and the Mac.

                    All the information you need is right here.