Re: [wpmac] Re: editing and saving to .wpd

  • Paul Cowan
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
      On 2 Jul 2008, at 0h00, Michael wrote:

      >> I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by
      >> reading
      >> the files back into WordPerfect.
      >
      > Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?
      >
      > First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word
      > Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

      Not directly, no. Unless X.3 can do it now ?

      Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that - where formatting is not
      a big issue - conversion by way of OOo is sufficient. Take your .wpd
      files, open them on the Mac in NeoOffice; edit them; resave as Word 97/
      XP/2000; and change the extension to .wpd. The end user's computer
      running WordPerfect **should** be able to open these files, and
      they'll look pretty good, though not perfect.

      Didn't know about Text-Edit Plus. Perhaps it could be used at some
      stage in the above process.

      bye,

      P. (^_^)
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
        In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:

        > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
        > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
        > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
        >
        > I must not be making this clear.

        What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
        and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
        bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
        is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
        not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
          You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
          need is something like this.

          1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.

          2. Edit the file.

          3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...

          4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
          "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".

          5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
          .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".

          Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
          question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "grandimage@" <grandimage@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Michael,
          > > Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
          > > Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd
          >
          > OK.. I must be an idiot and not able to communicate. My apologies.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

            > In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:
            >
            > > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
            > > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
            > > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
            > >
            > > I must not be making this clear.
            >
            > What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
            > and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
            > bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
            > is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
            > not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?

            Sorry. I got to this group by Googling the problem. There is a whole
            lot of information about scripts and stuff so detailed the attorney
            would go crazy. I had a hard time understanding the info and why
            it was pertinent. But "thank you" everyone" for trying and for your
            patience for this newbee to this group.

            He has an PPC G4 and an Intel iMac (the latter with Windoze on
            the other side.. but he hasn't used it.).

            The "kicker": He does all his work in WP5.1 on a SONY Vario Laptop...
            as he knows all the DOS commands for doing everything he needs.

            But then the courts (State) started demanding everything be in .pdf.
            So that's why he has the Macs (ok he also uses it for e-mail, music
            and photography).

            So he does his work on the PC, saves to a 3.5 floppy... pops that in
            the Mac's USB external... uploads it on his Mac then converts to
            WORD then saves it to a pdf. (He also scans stuff on the Mac).

            This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
            template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
            adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
            was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
            exports/translations, etc.

            I don't know what WP/MAC is... if it runs on OS9... neither
            computer has that. I need to make sure whatever he does on
            the PPC he can do on the Intel (and vice versa). If I get Windoze
            WP on the Intel Mac.. it would be different than his PPC which
            he keeps at home.

            The main thing is consistency. both computers... whatever
            method is used, need to be the same and use the same steps.
            And therein lies the problem.

            Thanks again for your help...

            Mike
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

              > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
              > need is something like this.
              >
              > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
              >
              > 2. Edit the file.
              >
              > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
              >
              > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
              > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
              >
              > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
              > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
              >
              > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
              > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

              You got it exactly.

              The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

              And is there a link to DL this program?

              Thanks,

              Mike
            • Tracy Gromer
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

                Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

                Good luck,

                Tracy

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

                  > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
                  > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
                  > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
                  > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
                  > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
                  > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
                  > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
                  > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
                  >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
                  > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
                  > bought me a new PC.
                  >
                  > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
                  > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
                  >
                  > Good luck,
                  >
                  > Tracy

                  Hey Tracy,

                  The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
                  faster than PC's.

                  But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
                  up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
                  written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

                  Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
                  proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

                  I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

                  I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

                  thanks for your opinion.

                  mike
                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                    > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                    > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                    > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                    >
                    > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                    > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                    > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                    > problem at all.
                    >
                    > John R.

                    Thanks John.

                    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
                    this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
                    to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
                    anything understandable to a newbee...

                    I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
                    program from Australia

                    Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

                    Nothing worked...

                    Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
                    it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

                    I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
                    WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
                    (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

                    I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

                    But I could never even "start".

                    Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

                    Thanks for all your help.

                    Mike
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                      I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                      final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                      doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                      he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                      instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                      method already available that he can use in his current
                      WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                      http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

                      Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                      at this address:

                      http://wpuniverse.com

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                      > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                      > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                      > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                      > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                      > exports/translations, etc.
                    • Douglas Bouley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                        -Doug

                        Edward Mendelson wrote:
                        > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                        > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                        > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                        > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                        > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                        > method already available that he can use in his current
                        > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                        >
                        > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                        >
                        > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                        > at this address:
                        >
                        > http://wpuniverse.com

                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                          > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                          > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                          > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                          > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                          > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                          > method already available that he can use in his current
                          > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                          What?

                          The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                          .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                          He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                          Thanks,

                          Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                          procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                          requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                          Mike
                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                            OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                            and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                            links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                            As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                            doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                            Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                            create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                            the Sony machine and the Mac.

                            All the information you need is right here.