Re: editing and saving to .wpd

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

      > But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
      > The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
      > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

      WPMac can open a .wpd file, edit it and resave it as a .wpd file.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        Michael

        Apologies if I've misread your later explanations, but you use a Mac
        and need to edit and save documents in wpd format. You currently open
        and edit in OpenOffice, AbiWord or Word (that bit I wasn't too clear
        on).
        1) What sort of Mac? Intel or PPC?
        2) What OS is used on the Mac - OS X 10.4 (or lower) or 10.5?
        If the OS is 10.4 or lower and it's a PPC Mac you can run WP for Mac
        under Classic and save as WPWIN 8 (which is the same file format as
        WPWIN 12, at least). When you Save As, remember to do so with
        "Filename.wpd". On an intel mac or any mac running 10.5, it's the
        same process, but you'll need to use the Sheepshaver emulation and
        get the file off the sheepshaver volume (John Rethorst's setup and
        guidance is brilliant).
        Things to watch out for in the conversion to WPWIN8: Double
        Indentation doesn't automatically work on the Windows side (Single
        Indentation does).

        By the way, if you have an intel mac, why not buy Parallels or VM
        Fusion and run Windows under either with WPWIN on your virtualized
        Windows machine?

        Geoff

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
        > >
        >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
        >>
        >> > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
        >> > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
        >> > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
        >> > Neither program will save as a .wpd
        >>
        >> I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
        >> SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
        >> through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
        >> problem at all.
        >>
        >> John R.
        >
        >Thank you John.
        >
        >But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
        >
        >The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST
        >IMPORTANTLY:
        >
        >re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
        >
        >I must not be making this clear.
        >
        >Mike

      • Paul Cowan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
          On 2 Jul 2008, at 0h00, Michael wrote:

          >> I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by
          >> reading
          >> the files back into WordPerfect.
          >
          > Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?
          >
          > First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word
          > Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

          Not directly, no. Unless X.3 can do it now ?

          Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that - where formatting is not
          a big issue - conversion by way of OOo is sufficient. Take your .wpd
          files, open them on the Mac in NeoOffice; edit them; resave as Word 97/
          XP/2000; and change the extension to .wpd. The end user's computer
          running WordPerfect **should** be able to open these files, and
          they'll look pretty good, though not perfect.

          Didn't know about Text-Edit Plus. Perhaps it could be used at some
          stage in the above process.

          bye,

          P. (^_^)
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
            In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:

            > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
            > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
            > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
            >
            > I must not be making this clear.

            What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
            and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
            bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
            is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
            not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
              You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
              need is something like this.

              1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.

              2. Edit the file.

              3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...

              4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
              "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".

              5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
              .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".

              Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
              question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "grandimage@" <grandimage@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Michael,
              > > Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
              > > Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd
              >
              > OK.. I must be an idiot and not able to communicate. My apologies.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                > In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:
                >
                > > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                > > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                > > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                > >
                > > I must not be making this clear.
                >
                > What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                > and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                > bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                > is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                > not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?

                Sorry. I got to this group by Googling the problem. There is a whole
                lot of information about scripts and stuff so detailed the attorney
                would go crazy. I had a hard time understanding the info and why
                it was pertinent. But "thank you" everyone" for trying and for your
                patience for this newbee to this group.

                He has an PPC G4 and an Intel iMac (the latter with Windoze on
                the other side.. but he hasn't used it.).

                The "kicker": He does all his work in WP5.1 on a SONY Vario Laptop...
                as he knows all the DOS commands for doing everything he needs.

                But then the courts (State) started demanding everything be in .pdf.
                So that's why he has the Macs (ok he also uses it for e-mail, music
                and photography).

                So he does his work on the PC, saves to a 3.5 floppy... pops that in
                the Mac's USB external... uploads it on his Mac then converts to
                WORD then saves it to a pdf. (He also scans stuff on the Mac).

                This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                exports/translations, etc.

                I don't know what WP/MAC is... if it runs on OS9... neither
                computer has that. I need to make sure whatever he does on
                the PPC he can do on the Intel (and vice versa). If I get Windoze
                WP on the Intel Mac.. it would be different than his PPC which
                he keeps at home.

                The main thing is consistency. both computers... whatever
                method is used, need to be the same and use the same steps.
                And therein lies the problem.

                Thanks again for your help...

                Mike
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                  > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                  > need is something like this.
                  >
                  > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
                  >
                  > 2. Edit the file.
                  >
                  > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
                  >
                  > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                  > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
                  >
                  > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                  > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
                  >
                  > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                  > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                  You got it exactly.

                  The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

                  And is there a link to DL this program?

                  Thanks,

                  Mike
                • Tracy Gromer
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                    I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

                    Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

                    Good luck,

                    Tracy

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

                      > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
                      > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
                      > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
                      > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
                      > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
                      > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
                      > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
                      > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
                      >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
                      > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
                      > bought me a new PC.
                      >
                      > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
                      > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
                      >
                      > Good luck,
                      >
                      > Tracy

                      Hey Tracy,

                      The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
                      faster than PC's.

                      But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
                      up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
                      written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

                      Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
                      proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

                      I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

                      I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

                      thanks for your opinion.

                      mike
                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008

                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                        > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                        > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                        > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                        >
                        > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                        > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                        > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                        > problem at all.
                        >
                        > John R.

                        Thanks John.

                        Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
                        this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
                        to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
                        anything understandable to a newbee...

                        I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
                        program from Australia

                        Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

                        Nothing worked...

                        Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
                        it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

                        I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
                        WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
                        (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

                        I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

                        But I could never even "start".

                        Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

                        Thanks for all your help.

                        Mike
                      • Edward Mendelson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                          I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                          final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                          doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                          he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                          instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                          method already available that he can use in his current
                          WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                          http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

                          Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                          at this address:

                          http://wpuniverse.com

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                          > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                          > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                          > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                          > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                          > exports/translations, etc.
                        • Douglas Bouley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                            -Doug

                            Edward Mendelson wrote:
                            > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                            > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                            > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                            > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                            > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                            > method already available that he can use in his current
                            > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                            >
                            > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                            >
                            > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                            > at this address:
                            >
                            > http://wpuniverse.com

                          • Michael
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                              > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                              > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                              > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                              > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                              > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                              > method already available that he can use in his current
                              > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                              What?

                              The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                              .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                              He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                              Thanks,

                              Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                              procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                              requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                              Mike
                            • Edward Mendelson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                                OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                                and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                                links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                                As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                                doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                                Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                                create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                                the Sony machine and the Mac.

                                All the information you need is right here.