Re: [wpmac] editing and saving to .wpd

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      On Jul 1, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Michael wrote:

      > Federal Courts/Federal Justice System use WordPerfect.
      > There's plenty of info about opening .wpd ... but saving in that
      > format is
      > an empty wasteland.

      Hi Michael!

      As you may know, I'm the head of MacAttorney, with over 7,000 Mac-
      using members, mostly attorneys.
      http://www.macattorney.com
      I've heard from a number of attorneys with this same problem.

      First, in every case that I've heard of where an attorney contacts
      the clerk of the court and tells them that their office only uses
      Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP that runs on the
      latest Macs, the court has given their approval to file the documents
      in anther format. Usually PDF, but sometimes .doc. Honestly, if you
      are firm with them, I don't see how they cannot accommodate you. In
      fact, I would write a letter detailing the situation to the head of
      the clerks of your local court. My guess is that the court isn't
      purposely trying to marginalize Macs, or force you to use a Windows
      computer. I suspect that they just don't know that some law firms
      use Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP for the latest Macs.

      Second, someone on this list noted that the shareware program Tex-
      Edit Plus (not to be confused with OS X's included TextEdit) can save
      files in WordPerfect format. This is true. But it isn't a solution,
      because Tex-Edit Plus cannot open your MS Word documents and save all
      of their formatting.

      Third, Dataviz's MacLink Converters can open both Word and
      WordPerfect files (both Win and Mac formats) and save files in both
      formats as well.
      http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
      But this isn't a perfect solution. If the formatting in your
      document is complex, MLC may not do a perfect job. I don't know
      about you, but I would be loath to submit a file to the court that
      was not almost assured to open up and look perfect.

      Fourth, you can use Sheepshaver to run the last available version of
      WordPerfect/Mac on your Intel-based Macintosh computer. You can
      download both for free from the files section of this discussion
      list. WordPerfect/Mac can export files in WP/win format perfectly.
      Unfortunately it sometimes does a poor job of importing Word .doc
      files. You could do all of your word processing in WP/Mac to avoid
      this problem, but that might be an unacceptable solution to you if
      you are used to using Word and don't want to learn how to use a
      different high-end word processor.

      The last possibility is to use Bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion to run
      Windows and WP/Win. I'm sure that this possibility has occurred to
      you. It's not a bad option, but it is an expensive, and even more
      circuitous one.

      In time the problem will be solved by Microsoft. They recently
      announced that they have reversed their policy and that they will
      soon be supporting the OpenDocument file format,
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
      http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/
      may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx
      which will be a universal standard format. The only questions are
      when that will actually become reality for the Mac version of Word,
      and how well the translators will work when they are available.

      I have a contact at Apple who should be willing to contact your local
      court and try to reason with them not to marginalize the Macintosh in
      this way. Please write to him, explain the situation, tell him I
      referred you to him, and give him full information on who
      specifically needs to be contacted at your local court and how to
      contact them.

      Kenny Lee
      Apple Business Markets
      (o) (408) 974-9178
      (c) (408) 203-3306
      kennylee@...

      Please let me know how the above works out for you.

      If I can help you with any other Macintosh/law-related matters, don't
      hesitate to let me know.

      Randy B. Singer
      Attorney at Law

      Author of: The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office

      Webmaster of: The Macintosh Law Office Software List
      http://www.macattorney.com

      Publisher of: The MacAttorney Newsletter
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

        > But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
        > The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
        > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

        WPMac can open a .wpd file, edit it and resave it as a .wpd file.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
          Michael

          Apologies if I've misread your later explanations, but you use a Mac
          and need to edit and save documents in wpd format. You currently open
          and edit in OpenOffice, AbiWord or Word (that bit I wasn't too clear
          on).
          1) What sort of Mac? Intel or PPC?
          2) What OS is used on the Mac - OS X 10.4 (or lower) or 10.5?
          If the OS is 10.4 or lower and it's a PPC Mac you can run WP for Mac
          under Classic and save as WPWIN 8 (which is the same file format as
          WPWIN 12, at least). When you Save As, remember to do so with
          "Filename.wpd". On an intel mac or any mac running 10.5, it's the
          same process, but you'll need to use the Sheepshaver emulation and
          get the file off the sheepshaver volume (John Rethorst's setup and
          guidance is brilliant).
          Things to watch out for in the conversion to WPWIN8: Double
          Indentation doesn't automatically work on the Windows side (Single
          Indentation does).

          By the way, if you have an intel mac, why not buy Parallels or VM
          Fusion and run Windows under either with WPWIN on your virtualized
          Windows machine?

          Geoff

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
          > >
          >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
          >>
          >> > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
          >> > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
          >> > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
          >> > Neither program will save as a .wpd
          >>
          >> I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
          >> SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
          >> through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
          >> problem at all.
          >>
          >> John R.
          >
          >Thank you John.
          >
          >But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
          >
          >The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST
          >IMPORTANTLY:
          >
          >re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
          >
          >I must not be making this clear.
          >
          >Mike

        • Paul Cowan
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
            On 2 Jul 2008, at 0h00, Michael wrote:

            >> I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by
            >> reading
            >> the files back into WordPerfect.
            >
            > Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?
            >
            > First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word
            > Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

            Not directly, no. Unless X.3 can do it now ?

            Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that - where formatting is not
            a big issue - conversion by way of OOo is sufficient. Take your .wpd
            files, open them on the Mac in NeoOffice; edit them; resave as Word 97/
            XP/2000; and change the extension to .wpd. The end user's computer
            running WordPerfect **should** be able to open these files, and
            they'll look pretty good, though not perfect.

            Didn't know about Text-Edit Plus. Perhaps it could be used at some
            stage in the above process.

            bye,

            P. (^_^)
          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
              In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:

              > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
              > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
              > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
              >
              > I must not be making this clear.

              What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
              and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
              bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
              is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
              not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                need is something like this.

                1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.

                2. Edit the file.

                3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...

                4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".

                5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".

                Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "grandimage@" <grandimage@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Michael,
                > > Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
                > > Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd
                >
                > OK.. I must be an idiot and not able to communicate. My apologies.
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                  > In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:
                  >
                  > > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                  > > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                  > > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                  > >
                  > > I must not be making this clear.
                  >
                  > What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                  > and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                  > bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                  > is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                  > not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?

                  Sorry. I got to this group by Googling the problem. There is a whole
                  lot of information about scripts and stuff so detailed the attorney
                  would go crazy. I had a hard time understanding the info and why
                  it was pertinent. But "thank you" everyone" for trying and for your
                  patience for this newbee to this group.

                  He has an PPC G4 and an Intel iMac (the latter with Windoze on
                  the other side.. but he hasn't used it.).

                  The "kicker": He does all his work in WP5.1 on a SONY Vario Laptop...
                  as he knows all the DOS commands for doing everything he needs.

                  But then the courts (State) started demanding everything be in .pdf.
                  So that's why he has the Macs (ok he also uses it for e-mail, music
                  and photography).

                  So he does his work on the PC, saves to a 3.5 floppy... pops that in
                  the Mac's USB external... uploads it on his Mac then converts to
                  WORD then saves it to a pdf. (He also scans stuff on the Mac).

                  This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                  template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                  adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                  was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                  exports/translations, etc.

                  I don't know what WP/MAC is... if it runs on OS9... neither
                  computer has that. I need to make sure whatever he does on
                  the PPC he can do on the Intel (and vice versa). If I get Windoze
                  WP on the Intel Mac.. it would be different than his PPC which
                  he keeps at home.

                  The main thing is consistency. both computers... whatever
                  method is used, need to be the same and use the same steps.
                  And therein lies the problem.

                  Thanks again for your help...

                  Mike
                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                    > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                    > need is something like this.
                    >
                    > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
                    >
                    > 2. Edit the file.
                    >
                    > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
                    >
                    > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                    > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
                    >
                    > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                    > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
                    >
                    > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                    > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                    You got it exactly.

                    The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

                    And is there a link to DL this program?

                    Thanks,

                    Mike
                  • Tracy Gromer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                      I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

                      Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

                      Good luck,

                      Tracy

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

                        > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
                        > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
                        > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
                        > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
                        > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
                        > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
                        > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
                        > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
                        >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
                        > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
                        > bought me a new PC.
                        >
                        > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
                        > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        >
                        > Tracy

                        Hey Tracy,

                        The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
                        faster than PC's.

                        But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
                        up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
                        written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

                        Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
                        proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

                        I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

                        I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

                        thanks for your opinion.

                        mike
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                          > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                          > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                          > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                          >
                          > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                          > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                          > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                          > problem at all.
                          >
                          > John R.

                          Thanks John.

                          Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
                          this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
                          to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
                          anything understandable to a newbee...

                          I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
                          program from Australia

                          Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

                          Nothing worked...

                          Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
                          it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

                          I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
                          WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
                          (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

                          I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

                          But I could never even "start".

                          Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

                          Thanks for all your help.

                          Mike
                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                            I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                            final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                            doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                            he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                            instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                            method already available that he can use in his current
                            WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                            http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

                            Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                            at this address:

                            http://wpuniverse.com

                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                            > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                            > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                            > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                            > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                            > exports/translations, etc.
                          • Douglas Bouley
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                              -Doug

                              Edward Mendelson wrote:
                              > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                              > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                              > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                              > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                              > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                              > method already available that he can use in his current
                              > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                              >
                              > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                              >
                              > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                              > at this address:
                              >
                              > http://wpuniverse.com

                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                                > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                > method already available that he can use in his current
                                > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                                What?

                                The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                                .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                                He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                                Thanks,

                                Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                                procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                                requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                                Mike
                              • Edward Mendelson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                                  OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                                  and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                                  links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                                  As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                                  doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                                  Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                                  create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                                  the Sony machine and the Mac.

                                  All the information you need is right here.