Re: editing and saving to .wpd

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1 9:03 PM

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
      >
      > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
      > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
      > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
      > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
      >
      > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
      > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
      > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
      > problem at all.
      >
      > John R.

      Thank you John.

      But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.

      The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:

      re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

      I must not be making this clear.

      Mike
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1 9:09 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "grandimage@..." <grandimage@...> wrote:

        > Michael,
        > Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
        > Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd

        OK.. I must be an idiot and not able to communicate. My apologies.

        OPENING is NOT a problem (we convert them to .docs and edit with WORD)

        EDITING is NOT a problem (again with WORD)

        SAVING back to wpd format using a Mac IS the problem.

        But I think we can re-convert back (sorry 'bout the grammar) using MacLinkDeluxe...

        It appears that it can translate from .docs and then translate back to .wpd

        Any help is appreciated.

        Mike
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1 10:30 PM
          On Jul 1, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Michael wrote:

          > Federal Courts/Federal Justice System use WordPerfect.
          > There's plenty of info about opening .wpd ... but saving in that
          > format is
          > an empty wasteland.

          Hi Michael!

          As you may know, I'm the head of MacAttorney, with over 7,000 Mac-
          using members, mostly attorneys.
          http://www.macattorney.com
          I've heard from a number of attorneys with this same problem.

          First, in every case that I've heard of where an attorney contacts
          the clerk of the court and tells them that their office only uses
          Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP that runs on the
          latest Macs, the court has given their approval to file the documents
          in anther format. Usually PDF, but sometimes .doc. Honestly, if you
          are firm with them, I don't see how they cannot accommodate you. In
          fact, I would write a letter detailing the situation to the head of
          the clerks of your local court. My guess is that the court isn't
          purposely trying to marginalize Macs, or force you to use a Windows
          computer. I suspect that they just don't know that some law firms
          use Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP for the latest Macs.

          Second, someone on this list noted that the shareware program Tex-
          Edit Plus (not to be confused with OS X's included TextEdit) can save
          files in WordPerfect format. This is true. But it isn't a solution,
          because Tex-Edit Plus cannot open your MS Word documents and save all
          of their formatting.

          Third, Dataviz's MacLink Converters can open both Word and
          WordPerfect files (both Win and Mac formats) and save files in both
          formats as well.
          http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
          But this isn't a perfect solution. If the formatting in your
          document is complex, MLC may not do a perfect job. I don't know
          about you, but I would be loath to submit a file to the court that
          was not almost assured to open up and look perfect.

          Fourth, you can use Sheepshaver to run the last available version of
          WordPerfect/Mac on your Intel-based Macintosh computer. You can
          download both for free from the files section of this discussion
          list. WordPerfect/Mac can export files in WP/win format perfectly.
          Unfortunately it sometimes does a poor job of importing Word .doc
          files. You could do all of your word processing in WP/Mac to avoid
          this problem, but that might be an unacceptable solution to you if
          you are used to using Word and don't want to learn how to use a
          different high-end word processor.

          The last possibility is to use Bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion to run
          Windows and WP/Win. I'm sure that this possibility has occurred to
          you. It's not a bad option, but it is an expensive, and even more
          circuitous one.

          In time the problem will be solved by Microsoft. They recently
          announced that they have reversed their policy and that they will
          soon be supporting the OpenDocument file format,
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
          http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/
          may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx
          which will be a universal standard format. The only questions are
          when that will actually become reality for the Mac version of Word,
          and how well the translators will work when they are available.

          I have a contact at Apple who should be willing to contact your local
          court and try to reason with them not to marginalize the Macintosh in
          this way. Please write to him, explain the situation, tell him I
          referred you to him, and give him full information on who
          specifically needs to be contacted at your local court and how to
          contact them.

          Kenny Lee
          Apple Business Markets
          (o) (408) 974-9178
          (c) (408) 203-3306
          kennylee@...

          Please let me know how the above works out for you.

          If I can help you with any other Macintosh/law-related matters, don't
          hesitate to let me know.

          Randy B. Singer
          Attorney at Law

          Author of: The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office

          Webmaster of: The Macintosh Law Office Software List
          http://www.macattorney.com

          Publisher of: The MacAttorney Newsletter
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1 10:39 PM
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

            > But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
            > The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
            > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

            WPMac can open a .wpd file, edit it and resave it as a .wpd file.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1 10:54 PM
              Michael

              Apologies if I've misread your later explanations, but you use a Mac
              and need to edit and save documents in wpd format. You currently open
              and edit in OpenOffice, AbiWord or Word (that bit I wasn't too clear
              on).
              1) What sort of Mac? Intel or PPC?
              2) What OS is used on the Mac - OS X 10.4 (or lower) or 10.5?
              If the OS is 10.4 or lower and it's a PPC Mac you can run WP for Mac
              under Classic and save as WPWIN 8 (which is the same file format as
              WPWIN 12, at least). When you Save As, remember to do so with
              "Filename.wpd". On an intel mac or any mac running 10.5, it's the
              same process, but you'll need to use the Sheepshaver emulation and
              get the file off the sheepshaver volume (John Rethorst's setup and
              guidance is brilliant).
              Things to watch out for in the conversion to WPWIN8: Double
              Indentation doesn't automatically work on the Windows side (Single
              Indentation does).

              By the way, if you have an intel mac, why not buy Parallels or VM
              Fusion and run Windows under either with WPWIN on your virtualized
              Windows machine?

              Geoff

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
              > >
              >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
              >>
              >> > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
              >> > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
              >> > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
              >> > Neither program will save as a .wpd
              >>
              >> I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
              >> SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
              >> through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
              >> problem at all.
              >>
              >> John R.
              >
              >Thank you John.
              >
              >But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
              >
              >The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST
              >IMPORTANTLY:
              >
              >re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
              >
              >I must not be making this clear.
              >
              >Mike

            • Paul Cowan
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2 4:32 AM
                On 2 Jul 2008, at 0h00, Michael wrote:

                >> I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by
                >> reading
                >> the files back into WordPerfect.
                >
                > Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?
                >
                > First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word
                > Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

                Not directly, no. Unless X.3 can do it now ?

                Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that - where formatting is not
                a big issue - conversion by way of OOo is sufficient. Take your .wpd
                files, open them on the Mac in NeoOffice; edit them; resave as Word 97/
                XP/2000; and change the extension to .wpd. The end user's computer
                running WordPerfect **should** be able to open these files, and
                they'll look pretty good, though not perfect.

                Didn't know about Text-Edit Plus. Perhaps it could be used at some
                stage in the above process.

                bye,

                P. (^_^)
              • John Kaufmann
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2 6:46 AM
                  In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:

                  > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                  > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                  > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                  >
                  > I must not be making this clear.

                  What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                  and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                  bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                  is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                  not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2 7:04 AM
                    You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                    need is something like this.

                    1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.

                    2. Edit the file.

                    3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...

                    4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                    "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".

                    5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                    .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".

                    Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                    question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2 7:52 AM
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                      > In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:
                      >
                      > > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                      > > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                      > > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                      > >
                      > > I must not be making this clear.
                      >
                      > What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                      > and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                      > bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                      > is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                      > not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?

                      Sorry. I got to this group by Googling the problem. There is a whole
                      lot of information about scripts and stuff so detailed the attorney
                      would go crazy. I had a hard time understanding the info and why
                      it was pertinent. But "thank you" everyone" for trying and for your
                      patience for this newbee to this group.

                      He has an PPC G4 and an Intel iMac (the latter with Windoze on
                      the other side.. but he hasn't used it.).

                      The "kicker": He does all his work in WP5.1 on a SONY Vario Laptop...
                      as he knows all the DOS commands for doing everything he needs.

                      But then the courts (State) started demanding everything be in .pdf.
                      So that's why he has the Macs (ok he also uses it for e-mail, music
                      and photography).

                      So he does his work on the PC, saves to a 3.5 floppy... pops that in
                      the Mac's USB external... uploads it on his Mac then converts to
                      WORD then saves it to a pdf. (He also scans stuff on the Mac).

                      This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                      template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                      adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                      was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                      exports/translations, etc.

                      I don't know what WP/MAC is... if it runs on OS9... neither
                      computer has that. I need to make sure whatever he does on
                      the PPC he can do on the Intel (and vice versa). If I get Windoze
                      WP on the Intel Mac.. it would be different than his PPC which
                      he keeps at home.

                      The main thing is consistency. both computers... whatever
                      method is used, need to be the same and use the same steps.
                      And therein lies the problem.

                      Thanks again for your help...

                      Mike
                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2 9:19 AM
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                        > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                        > need is something like this.
                        >
                        > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
                        >
                        > 2. Edit the file.
                        >
                        > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
                        >
                        > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                        > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
                        >
                        > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                        > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
                        >
                        > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                        > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                        You got it exactly.

                        The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

                        And is there a link to DL this program?

                        Thanks,

                        Mike
                      • Tracy Gromer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2 9:21 AM
                          I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

                          Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

                          Good luck,

                          Tracy

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2 7:10 PM
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

                            > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
                            > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
                            > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
                            > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
                            > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
                            > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
                            > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
                            > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
                            >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
                            > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
                            > bought me a new PC.
                            >
                            > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
                            > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
                            >
                            > Good luck,
                            >
                            > Tracy

                            Hey Tracy,

                            The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
                            faster than PC's.

                            But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
                            up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
                            written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

                            Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
                            proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

                            I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

                            I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

                            thanks for your opinion.

                            mike
                          • Michael
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2 7:19 PM

                              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                              > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                              > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                              > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                              >
                              > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                              > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                              > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                              > problem at all.
                              >
                              > John R.

                              Thanks John.

                              Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
                              this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
                              to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
                              anything understandable to a newbee...

                              I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
                              program from Australia

                              Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

                              Nothing worked...

                              Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
                              it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

                              I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
                              WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
                              (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

                              I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

                              But I could never even "start".

                              Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

                              Thanks for all your help.

                              Mike
                            • Edward Mendelson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3 6:44 AM
                                I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                method already available that he can use in his current
                                WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                                http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

                                Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                                at this address:

                                http://wpuniverse.com

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                                > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                                > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                                > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                                > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                                > exports/translations, etc.
                              • Douglas Bouley
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 3 7:38 AM
                                  Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                                  -Doug

                                  Edward Mendelson wrote:
                                  > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                  > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                  > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                  > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                  > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                  > method already available that he can use in his current
                                  > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                                  >
                                  > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                                  >
                                  > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                                  > at this address:
                                  >
                                  > http://wpuniverse.com

                                • Michael
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 3 7:47 AM
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                                    > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                    > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                    > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                    > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                    > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                    > method already available that he can use in his current
                                    > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                                    What?

                                    The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                                    .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                                    He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                                    procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                                    requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                                    Mike
                                  • Edward Mendelson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4 6:37 AM
                                      OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                                      and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                                      links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                                      As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                                      doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                                      Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                                      create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                                      the Sony machine and the Mac.

                                      All the information you need is right here.