Re: [wpmac] editing and saving to .wpd

  • Paul Cowan
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      On 1 Jul 2008, at 11h35, Michael wrote:

      > Neither program will save as a .wpd
      > MacLink has no converts for either program.

      I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by reading
      the files back into WordPerfect. (The purpose of the conversion is to
      be able to process the files in Déjà Vu X, a translation memory
      application.)

      They are easily fed back in after saving in .doc format (Word 97/XP/
      2000 is the best option to select) **but** always need format
      adjustments in WordPerfect at the end. Not a lot usually, font codes
      and such that bloat up the file sizes, but bullets and (especially)
      tables can be problematic. If your clients don't care whether they get
      idiomatic WP files back, or don't mind cleaning them up themselves,
      you could send them this MS format unadjusted, simply changing the
      extension to .wpd. YMMV of course.

      bye,

      P. (^_^)
    • grandimage@att.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        Michael,
        Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
        Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd
        Tex-edit plus is also apple script aware [;=)
        also search action folders in your Mac Help
        action folder combined with applescript = drag & drop BATCH
        conversions [;=)
        download a copy at the link provided below and check it out

        the following is pasted from tex-edit plus help:

        Welcome to Tex-Edit Plus!
        Tex-Edit Plus is a scriptable text editor that fills the gap between
        ordinary text editors (such as Apple's SimpleText) and a full-
        featured word processor. It is small, fast, easy-to-use, and has a
        clean, uncluttered interface. Tex-Edit Plus excels at text
        manipulation and is particularly useful for cleaning up text that is
        transmitted over the internet. Tex-Edit Plus is shareware ($15).
        AppleScript
        Tex Edit Plus includes extensive AppleScript support. AppleScript is
        a wonderful, Mac-only technology that allows ordinary people to
        create automated shortcuts with minimal effort. Be sure to check out
        the AppleScripts for Tex-Edit Archives web site to view an extensive
        collection of hints, examples, and step-by-step instructions.
        Please contact me (Tom Bender) if you have any questions, suggestions
        or bug reports. Also be sure to visit the Trans-Tex web site for the
        latest versions of all our programs.

        Tex-Edit Plus is copyright 1992-2006 Trans-Tex Software. All rights
        reserved. WASTE text engine is copyright 1993-2002 Marco Piovanelli.
        All rights reserved.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

          > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
          > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
          > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
          > Neither program will save as a .wpd

          I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
          SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
          through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
          problem at all.

          John R.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Cowan <paul.cowan@...> wrote:

            > On 1 Jul 2008, at 11h35, Michael wrote:
            >
            > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
            > > MacLink has no converts for either program.
            >
            > I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by reading
            > the files back into WordPerfect.

            Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?

            First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

            Second: He has a Mac

            > (The purpose of the conversion is to be able to process the files in Déjà Vu X, a translation memory
            > application.)

            Sorry, I'm confused with your terms read and feed?

            > They are easily fed back in after saving in .doc format (Word 97/XP/
            > 2000 is the best option to select) **but** always need format
            > adjustments in WordPerfect at the end. Not a lot usually, font codes
            > and such that bloat up the file sizes, but bullets and (especially)
            > tables can be problematic.

            Over my head... though I know formatting is a problem purposefully kept in place to
            capture (tie up) customers. Both Corel and MS are great at doing this to force customer to buy newer versions.

            > If your clients don't care whether they get
            > idiomatic WP files back, or don't mind cleaning them up themselves,
            > you could send them this MS format unadjusted, simply changing the
            > extension to .wpd. YMMV of course.

            Apparently the courts won't accept anything but .wpd

            I know it's sounds incredible...

            > bye,

            Thanks for your input. If you can translate some of the terms you used.. I'd really appreciate it.

            Mike
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
              >
              > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
              > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
              > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
              > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
              >
              > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
              > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
              > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
              > problem at all.
              >
              > John R.

              Thank you John.

              But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.

              The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:

              re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

              I must not be making this clear.

              Mike
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "grandimage@..." <grandimage@...> wrote:

                > Michael,
                > Don't run out and buy anything just yet...
                > Try Tex-Edit plus, it will open and convert to wpd

                OK.. I must be an idiot and not able to communicate. My apologies.

                OPENING is NOT a problem (we convert them to .docs and edit with WORD)

                EDITING is NOT a problem (again with WORD)

                SAVING back to wpd format using a Mac IS the problem.

                But I think we can re-convert back (sorry 'bout the grammar) using MacLinkDeluxe...

                It appears that it can translate from .docs and then translate back to .wpd

                Any help is appreciated.

                Mike
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                  On Jul 1, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Michael wrote:

                  > Federal Courts/Federal Justice System use WordPerfect.
                  > There's plenty of info about opening .wpd ... but saving in that
                  > format is
                  > an empty wasteland.

                  Hi Michael!

                  As you may know, I'm the head of MacAttorney, with over 7,000 Mac-
                  using members, mostly attorneys.
                  http://www.macattorney.com
                  I've heard from a number of attorneys with this same problem.

                  First, in every case that I've heard of where an attorney contacts
                  the clerk of the court and tells them that their office only uses
                  Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP that runs on the
                  latest Macs, the court has given their approval to file the documents
                  in anther format. Usually PDF, but sometimes .doc. Honestly, if you
                  are firm with them, I don't see how they cannot accommodate you. In
                  fact, I would write a letter detailing the situation to the head of
                  the clerks of your local court. My guess is that the court isn't
                  purposely trying to marginalize Macs, or force you to use a Windows
                  computer. I suspect that they just don't know that some law firms
                  use Macintoshes, and that there is no version of WP for the latest Macs.

                  Second, someone on this list noted that the shareware program Tex-
                  Edit Plus (not to be confused with OS X's included TextEdit) can save
                  files in WordPerfect format. This is true. But it isn't a solution,
                  because Tex-Edit Plus cannot open your MS Word documents and save all
                  of their formatting.

                  Third, Dataviz's MacLink Converters can open both Word and
                  WordPerfect files (both Win and Mac formats) and save files in both
                  formats as well.
                  http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
                  But this isn't a perfect solution. If the formatting in your
                  document is complex, MLC may not do a perfect job. I don't know
                  about you, but I would be loath to submit a file to the court that
                  was not almost assured to open up and look perfect.

                  Fourth, you can use Sheepshaver to run the last available version of
                  WordPerfect/Mac on your Intel-based Macintosh computer. You can
                  download both for free from the files section of this discussion
                  list. WordPerfect/Mac can export files in WP/win format perfectly.
                  Unfortunately it sometimes does a poor job of importing Word .doc
                  files. You could do all of your word processing in WP/Mac to avoid
                  this problem, but that might be an unacceptable solution to you if
                  you are used to using Word and don't want to learn how to use a
                  different high-end word processor.

                  The last possibility is to use Bootcamp, Parallels, or Fusion to run
                  Windows and WP/Win. I'm sure that this possibility has occurred to
                  you. It's not a bad option, but it is an expensive, and even more
                  circuitous one.

                  In time the problem will be solved by Microsoft. They recently
                  announced that they have reversed their policy and that they will
                  soon be supporting the OpenDocument file format,
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
                  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/
                  may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx
                  which will be a universal standard format. The only questions are
                  when that will actually become reality for the Mac version of Word,
                  and how well the translators will work when they are available.

                  I have a contact at Apple who should be willing to contact your local
                  court and try to reason with them not to marginalize the Macintosh in
                  this way. Please write to him, explain the situation, tell him I
                  referred you to him, and give him full information on who
                  specifically needs to be contacted at your local court and how to
                  contact them.

                  Kenny Lee
                  Apple Business Markets
                  (o) (408) 974-9178
                  (c) (408) 203-3306
                  kennylee@...

                  Please let me know how the above works out for you.

                  If I can help you with any other Macintosh/law-related matters, don't
                  hesitate to let me know.

                  Randy B. Singer
                  Attorney at Law

                  Author of: The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office

                  Webmaster of: The Macintosh Law Office Software List
                  http://www.macattorney.com

                  Publisher of: The MacAttorney Newsletter
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                    > But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
                    > The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                    > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.

                    WPMac can open a .wpd file, edit it and resave it as a .wpd file.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Michael

                      Apologies if I've misread your later explanations, but you use a Mac
                      and need to edit and save documents in wpd format. You currently open
                      and edit in OpenOffice, AbiWord or Word (that bit I wasn't too clear
                      on).
                      1) What sort of Mac? Intel or PPC?
                      2) What OS is used on the Mac - OS X 10.4 (or lower) or 10.5?
                      If the OS is 10.4 or lower and it's a PPC Mac you can run WP for Mac
                      under Classic and save as WPWIN 8 (which is the same file format as
                      WPWIN 12, at least). When you Save As, remember to do so with
                      "Filename.wpd". On an intel mac or any mac running 10.5, it's the
                      same process, but you'll need to use the Sheepshaver emulation and
                      get the file off the sheepshaver volume (John Rethorst's setup and
                      guidance is brilliant).
                      Things to watch out for in the conversion to WPWIN8: Double
                      Indentation doesn't automatically work on the Windows side (Single
                      Indentation does).

                      By the way, if you have an intel mac, why not buy Parallels or VM
                      Fusion and run Windows under either with WPWIN on your virtualized
                      Windows machine?

                      Geoff

                      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                      >> > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                      >> > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                      >> > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                      >>
                      >> I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                      >> SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                      >> through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                      >> problem at all.
                      >>
                      >> John R.
                      >
                      >Thank you John.
                      >
                      >But I have to repeat: It's not opening wpd files... that's no problem.
                      >
                      >The problem is editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST
                      >IMPORTANTLY:
                      >
                      >re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                      >
                      >I must not be making this clear.
                      >
                      >Mike

                    • Paul Cowan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                        On 2 Jul 2008, at 0h00, Michael wrote:

                        >> I've often converted back to .wpd from OpenOffice, but only by
                        >> reading
                        >> the files back into WordPerfect.
                        >
                        > Lost you totally. "read back into Word Perfect?
                        >
                        > First: He doesn't have Word Perfect... and you're saying Word
                        > Perfect can read OpenOffice .docs?

                        Not directly, no. Unless X.3 can do it now ?

                        Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that - where formatting is not
                        a big issue - conversion by way of OOo is sufficient. Take your .wpd
                        files, open them on the Mac in NeoOffice; edit them; resave as Word 97/
                        XP/2000; and change the extension to .wpd. The end user's computer
                        running WordPerfect **should** be able to open these files, and
                        they'll look pretty good, though not perfect.

                        Didn't know about Text-Edit Plus. Perhaps it could be used at some
                        stage in the above process.

                        bye,

                        P. (^_^)
                      • John Kaufmann
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                          In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:

                          > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                          > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                          > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                          >
                          > I must not be making this clear.

                          What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                          and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                          bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                          is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                          not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?
                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                            You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                            need is something like this.

                            1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.

                            2. Edit the file.

                            3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...

                            4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                            "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".

                            5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                            .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".

                            Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                            question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:

                              > In a message dated 2008.07.02 00:03 -0500, Michael wrote:
                              >
                              > > ... It's not opening wpd files...that's no problem. The problem is
                              > > editing files that are sent in wpd format.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY:
                              > > re-saving them to wpd format and sending them back to the feds.
                              > >
                              > > I must not be making this clear.
                              >
                              > What's not clear: you are asking on a WP/Mac list about how to edit WP files
                              > and save them in WPD format. As John R. pointed out [possibly finding it a
                              > bit strange to have to make the point], WP/Mac will do exactly that - and
                              > is, of course, why we are all here - which begs the obvious question: why
                              > not try it? It's free, even - and you might like it. What am I missing?

                              Sorry. I got to this group by Googling the problem. There is a whole
                              lot of information about scripts and stuff so detailed the attorney
                              would go crazy. I had a hard time understanding the info and why
                              it was pertinent. But "thank you" everyone" for trying and for your
                              patience for this newbee to this group.

                              He has an PPC G4 and an Intel iMac (the latter with Windoze on
                              the other side.. but he hasn't used it.).

                              The "kicker": He does all his work in WP5.1 on a SONY Vario Laptop...
                              as he knows all the DOS commands for doing everything he needs.

                              But then the courts (State) started demanding everything be in .pdf.
                              So that's why he has the Macs (ok he also uses it for e-mail, music
                              and photography).

                              So he does his work on the PC, saves to a 3.5 floppy... pops that in
                              the Mac's USB external... uploads it on his Mac then converts to
                              WORD then saves it to a pdf. (He also scans stuff on the Mac).

                              This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                              template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                              adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                              was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                              exports/translations, etc.

                              I don't know what WP/MAC is... if it runs on OS9... neither
                              computer has that. I need to make sure whatever he does on
                              the PPC he can do on the Intel (and vice versa). If I get Windoze
                              WP on the Intel Mac.. it would be different than his PPC which
                              he keeps at home.

                              The main thing is consistency. both computers... whatever
                              method is used, need to be the same and use the same steps.
                              And therein lies the problem.

                              Thanks again for your help...

                              Mike
                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                                > You're communicating perfectly clearly! The answer that I THINK you
                                > need is something like this.
                                >
                                > 1. Open the WPD file in WPMac.
                                >
                                > 2. Edit the file.
                                >
                                > 3. When you're finished editing in WPMac, click File/Save As...
                                >
                                > 4. In the dialog box that appears, click the arrows next to
                                > "Format". Select "WP for PC 6,7,8".
                                >
                                > 5. In the"Save Document As" field, type the name of the
                                > .WPD file that you want to save, as in "MyFile.WPD".
                                >
                                > Is that the answer you're looking for? If so, then your
                                > question was 100-percent lucid and understandable.

                                You got it exactly.

                                The only question is will WP/MAC run on both a PPC and an Intel Mac...?

                                And is there a link to DL this program?

                                Thanks,

                                Mike
                              • Tracy Gromer
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                                  I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end, but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the 3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm bought me a new PC.

                                  Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work, solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.

                                  Good luck,

                                  Tracy

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Gromer" <tagromer@...> wrote:

                                    > I feel your pain, Michael. I'm also an attorney, and Federal coot
                                    > requires filing in Wpd, which is what I have always used. Then I
                                    > got a Mac. I tried sending documents to our secretaries in Wpd
                                    > from my Mac (I telecommute), but I could never see what I was
                                    > sending in Wpd, because I had to convert it from Wpd 3.1 that
                                    > would run on my Mac, to a Wpd version for PCs. I never saw
                                    > how the documents came out on the PCs on the other end,
                                    > but apparently editing was required. And I could never get the
                                    >3.1 version to work well on my Mac. (I don't understand half
                                    > the stuff the techies in this group say either.) My firm
                                    > bought me a new PC.
                                    >
                                    > Such a shame -- I love my Mac, but cannot use it for work,
                                    > solely because Corel no longer writes for Mac.
                                    >
                                    > Good luck,
                                    >
                                    > Tracy

                                    Hey Tracy,

                                    The great things about the Intel Macs is that they run XP and Vista
                                    faster than PC's.

                                    But it's just the uncomfortable move back and forth from a locked
                                    up and confusing system with confusing and non-helpful prompts
                                    written by geeks that have limited language abilities...

                                    Mac is such a breeze, intuitive and then you get this barrier of
                                    proprietary programs made by MS and Corel.

                                    I sell Macs and PC, the latter if it is last resort.

                                    I say get an Intel Mac and choose.

                                    thanks for your opinion.

                                    mike
                                  • Michael
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008

                                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > They send out their forms in .wpd format.
                                      > > These will open and can be modfied in OpenOffice or AbiWord.
                                      > > But then we have to send the modified version back in .wpd
                                      > > Neither program will save as a .wpd
                                      >
                                      > I know little about Windows WP, but WP Mac (running on
                                      > SheepShaver on your Intel Mac) will read and write WP Win
                                      > through version 8, if not later. Your need shouldn't be a
                                      > problem at all.
                                      >
                                      > John R.

                                      Thanks John.

                                      Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate WP/MAC anywhere on
                                      this site. Not in the links and not in the files (as I've been referred
                                      to?) Check.. they're not there... at least not under WP/Mac or
                                      anything understandable to a newbee...

                                      I finally googled and found the 3.46 something version
                                      program from Australia

                                      Also downloaded all the conversion programs....

                                      Nothing worked...

                                      Opening the WP from Australia just gave me a message that
                                      it was not compatible with my computer... Classic want available

                                      I figured I'd have to download the most current version of
                                      WP MAC (which says OS8 and 9?).. then do something to it
                                      (from the conversion folder) I have all that stuff..

                                      I tried to follow Getting started with WP...

                                      But I could never even "start".

                                      Sorry.. I don't get this... it is way too complicated.

                                      Thanks for all your help.

                                      Mike
                                    • Edward Mendelson
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                                        I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                        final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                        doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                        he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                        instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                        method already available that he can use in his current
                                        WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                                        http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html

                                        Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                                        at this address:

                                        http://wpuniverse.com

                                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                                        > This week he has jury instructions due to the 9th Circuit. The
                                        > template came in .wpd format. He has to modify this document
                                        > adding names and other info. He seemed to feel that my fix
                                        > was an arguous task requiring excessive imports and
                                        > exports/translations, etc.
                                      • Douglas Bouley
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                                          Cool stuff. Thanks for that, Edward.

                                          -Doug

                                          Edward Mendelson wrote:
                                          > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                          > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                          > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                          > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                          > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                          > method already available that he can use in his current
                                          > WP setup on the Sony laptop:
                                          >
                                          > http://wpdos.org/pdfprint.html
                                          >
                                          > Questions about this should be asked in the WPDOS forum
                                          > at this address:
                                          >
                                          > http://wpuniverse.com

                                        • Michael
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                                            > I wish you had spelled out the problem at the start. If the
                                            > final result desired is generating PDF files, then your client
                                            > doesn't need a Mac to create PDF files from WPDOS 5.1. All
                                            > he (or you) needs to do is go to this page and follow the
                                            > instructions. He will then have a completely automated
                                            > method already available that he can use in his current
                                            > WP setup on the Sony laptop:

                                            What?

                                            The problem is editing .wpd files and then saving them back to
                                            .wpd format on a Mac: period.

                                            He has always been able to save as .pdf as it is native on a Mac.

                                            Thanks,

                                            Sorry I probably gave too much info on his complicated
                                            procedure of dealing with 2 separate courts systems (one
                                            requiring .wpd and the one .pdf)

                                            Mike
                                          • Edward Mendelson
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                                              OK, then you've been given the answer two or three times about opening
                                              and saving .WPD files on the Mac. Use WordPerfect for the Mac. Download
                                              links are in the Links section, under Sheepshaver.

                                              As for saving PDF files, the point of the last message was that your client
                                              doesn't need to use a Mac for this purpose. He can continue using his
                                              Sony laptop (presumably running Windows) to edit both WPD files and to
                                              create PDF files, and doesn't have to copy files back and forth between
                                              the Sony machine and the Mac.

                                              All the information you need is right here.