Re: [wpmac] From Windows/wordperfect to Macbook Pro

  • Joe Edgell
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
      Odd. Apparently the text from my earlier message with the definition
      was deleted. Here's that definition of hobbyist:

      "a person who pursues a particular hobby: a computer hobbyist."

      And the definition of hobby:

      "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure"

      On 30 Jun 2008, at 06:19, Joe Edgell wrote:

      > Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, George, but I've been out of
      > the Country. As for "hobbyist" term, I don't see anything derogatory
      > about it at all. I bicycle quite a bit. I'm not a professional
      > cyclist, and I'm not a casual cyclist. Seems "hobbyist" probably
      > describes me well, and I would not be offended to be called such. In
      > fact, Apple's included Dictionary utility which pulls from the Oxford
      > American Dictionary, among others, lists this definition:
      >
      > How bad can that be?
      >
      > Joe
      >
      > On 26 Jun 2008, at 17:34, George B. Richardson wrote:
      >
      > > By the way, Joe, I don't know that folks who simply prefer WP to
      > > other word processing programs would appreciate being characterized
      > > as "hobbyists".

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2 7:07 AM
        I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
        many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
        print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
        letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
        so I switched my booklet printing to Word.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@...> wrote:

        > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
        > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
        > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
        > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
        > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2 9:12 AM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

          > I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
          > many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
          > print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
          > letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
          > so I switched my booklet printing to Word.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@> wrote:
          >
          > > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
          > > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
          > > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
          > > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
          > > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.

          Thanks Diane. He doesn't have Word for Windoze. He has a MAC.

          Mike
        • Bruce Rogers
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2 9:20 AM
            Hello. I'm a new member of this discussion group.

            I'm currently a WordPerfect for Windows user, contemplating replacing
            my Dell laptop and considering an Apple product for that replacement.

            My firm uses WordPerfect as the word processor of choice (on Windows
            machines). So I am wondering whether there is an implementation of
            WordPerfect for a current generation of Apple laptop that would allow
            me to remain integrated with the Windows-based group I work with.

            I suppose one option is to run windows on a partition on the Apple
            laptop, and to install WordPerfect for Windows and run it from that
            partition. However I was kind of hoping to get away from the
            perpetual operability hassles I have had to put up with since I
            stopped using a Mac 15 years ago. Maybe that's just not a practical dream.

            Any suggestions?

            Bruce Rogers
            Dallas/Fort Worth
          • Joe Edgell
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 3 7:52 AM
              The oft quoted solutions, Bruce, are either the separate Windows
              partition and running WordPerfect under Windows using Bootcamp, the
              more elegant solution of running Windows within your Mac using
              Parallels desktop or VMWare's Fusion, or converting the documents
              using Dataviz's MacLinkPlus Deluxe. The easiest solution, if the most
              expensive, is the VMWare or Parallels solution.