Re: [wpmac] Re: "hobbyists" (was: From Windows/wordperfect to Macbook Pro)

  • Joe Edgell
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
      According to the dictionary I cited in a prior post, "an activity done
      regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure" is a "hobby" and a
      person who pursues that activity is a "hobbyist." So, I think both of
      your examples, each person clearly would be a hobbyist. That is,
      unless the really don't like doing those activities or they don't do
      them in their leisure time.

      Joe

      On 26 Jun 2008, at 19:59, John Rethorst wrote:

      > Agreed. If you keep the old turntable and tube amp running for their
      > antique value, you're clearly a hobbyist. If you do so because you
      > subscribe to the sizable body of serious opinion holding that analog
      > sound is better than its replacement, you are not a hobbyist; you
      > simply like listening to high quality sound reproduction.
      >
      > If you keep the old Leica in repair for historical reasons, you're a
      > hobbyist. If you do so since you judge its image quality better
      > than that 10 megapixel computer with a lens in front of it, you are
      > not a hobbyist; you simply like high quality photographs.

    • Joe Edgell
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
        Odd. Apparently the text from my earlier message with the definition
        was deleted. Here's that definition of hobbyist:

        "a person who pursues a particular hobby: a computer hobbyist."

        And the definition of hobby:

        On 30 Jun 2008, at 06:19, Joe Edgell wrote:

        > Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, George, but I've been out of
        > the Country. As for "hobbyist" term, I don't see anything derogatory
        > about it at all. I bicycle quite a bit. I'm not a professional
        > cyclist, and I'm not a casual cyclist. Seems "hobbyist" probably
        > describes me well, and I would not be offended to be called such. In
        > fact, Apple's included Dictionary utility which pulls from the Oxford
        > American Dictionary, among others, lists this definition:
        >
        > How bad can that be?
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > On 26 Jun 2008, at 17:34, George B. Richardson wrote:
        >
        > > By the way, Joe, I don't know that folks who simply prefer WP to
        > > other word processing programs would appreciate being characterized
        > > as "hobbyists".

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
          I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
          many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
          print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
          letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
          so I switched my booklet printing to Word.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@...> wrote:

          > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
          > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
          > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
          > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
          > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

            > I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
            > many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
            > print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
            > letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
            > so I switched my booklet printing to Word.
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@> wrote:
            >
            > > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
            > > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
            > > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
            > > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
            > > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.

            Thanks Diane. He doesn't have Word for Windoze. He has a MAC.

            Mike
          • Bruce Rogers
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
              Hello. I'm a new member of this discussion group.

              I'm currently a WordPerfect for Windows user, contemplating replacing
              my Dell laptop and considering an Apple product for that replacement.

              My firm uses WordPerfect as the word processor of choice (on Windows
              machines). So I am wondering whether there is an implementation of
              WordPerfect for a current generation of Apple laptop that would allow
              me to remain integrated with the Windows-based group I work with.

              I suppose one option is to run windows on a partition on the Apple
              laptop, and to install WordPerfect for Windows and run it from that
              partition. However I was kind of hoping to get away from the
              perpetual operability hassles I have had to put up with since I
              stopped using a Mac 15 years ago. Maybe that's just not a practical dream.

              Any suggestions?

              Bruce Rogers
              Dallas/Fort Worth
            • Joe Edgell
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                The oft quoted solutions, Bruce, are either the separate Windows
                partition and running WordPerfect under Windows using Bootcamp, the
                more elegant solution of running Windows within your Mac using
                Parallels desktop or VMWare's Fusion, or converting the documents
                using Dataviz's MacLinkPlus Deluxe. The easiest solution, if the most
                expensive, is the VMWare or Parallels solution.