Re: [wpmac] scripts

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
      In a message dated 2008.06.29 23:46 -0500, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

      > do I have to keep scripts with 0S 10.4.11? I periodically get a
      > message telling me that a script is making Safari run slow. Could I
      > delete them all - if that is possible?

      Most likely you are referring to JavaScript scripts, which are stored not on
      your machine but on web servers, and are loaded onto your machine when you
      load a web page. The usual fix for this problem is not to delete the
      scripts but to simply not load them, or to load them but limit their
      actions. Most browsers (presumably including Safari) will at least let you
      choose whether or not to (a) execute JavaScript or (b) load scripts. Some
      offer more fine-grained control, letting you determine (c) from which sites
      you will accept scripts or (d) what script actions are allowed, or both.

      > I don't even know what scripts are supposed to do.

      JavaScript allows a server-provided script on the client side (your machine)
      to modify other info provided by the server to (in some way) improve the
      browsing experience. Often abused to do things that might be better done on
      the server side, there are still plenty of worthwhile applications, like its
      in AJAX to provide Google maps that can scroll smoothly without server
      intervention.

      Anyway, this has nothing to do with Apple or WP scripting.
      --
      John