Re: [wpmac] Re: "hobbyists" (was: From Windows/wordperfect to Macbook Pro)

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
      I know I'm drifting off-topic a bit here, but can't resist making a
      few connections. 1) Recent news stories report a steady increase in
      sales of vinyl LPs and turntables over the past few years. 2) There's
      one place where the term "tube amp" is not an anachronism: most
      electric guitarists still prefer the sound of tube amps, which
      continue to be made. (In fact the whole world of vintage guitars
      seems to be in opposition to our culture's desire for the latest and
      greatest, with the 1950s seen as the Golden Age). 3) I still
      regularly use my 1976 Nikon F2 and 1969 FTN, because I prefer their
      picture quality, though I do make a concession to modernity by
      getting photo CDs from Kodak--and I'm laboriously scanning and color
      correcting thousands of fading slides to try to preserve them. I
      don't consider myself a Luddite.

      BTW, closer to the topic at hand: I'm finishing up a book manuscript
      in WordPerfect. (It's an academic book.) Much as I love the program,
      I had been giving serious thought to doing future academic writing in
      Word, just because it seems so inevitable and universal; but all the
      previous drafts of this book were in WordPerfect, so I figured I may
      as well continue for the time being. My attitude was, okay, I'll do
      this one in WordPerfect, and then think about changing over. Now I'm
      less sure. Part of it is the comfort level; I'm more familiar with
      the WP way of doing things, and, yes, I can usually do it in Word,
      but it takes me longer and seems harder to do. And WP's amazingly
      powerful macro language, and John Rethorst's sets of macros, seem
      unparalleled. As one example, I was able to do some things that gave
      me a level of control over the formatting of my endnotes that just
      didn't seem possible (or easy) In Word. I don't want to rekindle that
      old Word vs. WordPerfect debate here. (And no doubt, Word experts
      would say that I could do everything I needed to in Word.) I'm just
      bringing this up to say that working so intensely with WP again has
      made me realize anew just how unique it is. And because I had to
      reformat almost the entire document in a different style, I can't
      even calculate how much time I saved by using Reveal Codes, because I
      was able to completely eliminate any unexpected wacky formatting by
      knowing just where to position the cursor when I made a change. All
      stuff that has been said before, but worth repeating, I guess.

      Thanks to John and all the knowledgeable, helpful people on this list.

      Rick Albright

      On Jun 26, 2008, at 7:59 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
      > Agreed. If you keep the old turntable and tube amp running for their
      > antique value, you're clearly a hobbyist. If you do so because you
      > subscribe to the sizable body of serious opinion holding that analog
      > sound is better than its replacement, you are not a hobbyist; you
      > simply like listening to high quality sound reproduction.
      >
      > If you keep the old Leica in repair for historical reasons, you're a
      > hobbyist. If you do so since you judge its image quality better
      > than that 10 megapixel computer with a lens in front of it, you are
      > not a hobbyist; you simply like high quality photographs.
      >
      > Newer ain't always better. I switched from MS Word to WP because
      > it was the best writing tool I could find. I still think so.

    • Diane Mettam
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 27, 2008
        Well put, Rick! Diane

> [...]

        Thanks to John and all the knowledgeable, helpful people on this list.

        Rick Albright

        On Jun 26, 2008, at 7:59 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
        > Agreed. If you keep the old turntable and tube amp running for their
        > antique value, you're clearly a hobbyist. If you do so because you
        > subscribe to the sizable body of serious opinion holding that analog
        > sound is better than its replacement, you are not a hobbyist; you
        > simply like listening to high quality sound reproduction.
        >
        > If you keep the old Leica in repair for historical reasons, you're a
        > hobbyist. If you do so since you judge its image quality better
        > than that 10 megapixel computer with a lens in front of it, you are
        > not a hobbyist; you simply like high quality photographs.
        >
        > Newer ain't always better. I switched from MS Word to WP because
        > it was the best writing tool I could find. I still think so.

      • Joe Edgell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
          Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, George, but I've been out of
          the Country. As for "hobbyist" term, I don't see anything derogatory
          about it at all. I bicycle quite a bit. I'm not a professional
          cyclist, and I'm not a casual cyclist. Seems "hobbyist" probably
          describes me well, and I would not be offended to be called such. In
          fact, Apple's included Dictionary utility which pulls from the Oxford
          American Dictionary, among others, lists this definition:

          How bad can that be?

          Joe

          On 26 Jun 2008, at 17:34, George B. Richardson wrote:

          > By the way, Joe, I don't know that folks who simply prefer WP to
          > other word processing programs would appreciate being characterized
          > as "hobbyists".

        • Joe Edgell
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
            According to the dictionary I cited in a prior post, "an activity done
            regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure" is a "hobby" and a
            person who pursues that activity is a "hobbyist." So, I think both of
            your examples, each person clearly would be a hobbyist. That is,
            unless the really don't like doing those activities or they don't do
            them in their leisure time.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2008
              Odd. Apparently the text from my earlier message with the definition
              was deleted. Here's that definition of hobbyist:

              "a person who pursues a particular hobby: a computer hobbyist."

              And the definition of hobby:

              On 30 Jun 2008, at 06:19, Joe Edgell wrote:

              > Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, George, but I've been out of
              > the Country. As for "hobbyist" term, I don't see anything derogatory
              > about it at all. I bicycle quite a bit. I'm not a professional
              > cyclist, and I'm not a casual cyclist. Seems "hobbyist" probably
              > describes me well, and I would not be offended to be called such. In
              > fact, Apple's included Dictionary utility which pulls from the Oxford
              > American Dictionary, among others, lists this definition:
              >
              > How bad can that be?
              >
              > Joe
              >
              > On 26 Jun 2008, at 17:34, George B. Richardson wrote:
              >
              > > By the way, Joe, I don't know that folks who simply prefer WP to
              > > other word processing programs would appreciate being characterized
              > > as "hobbyists".

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
                many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
                print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
                letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
                so I switched my booklet printing to Word.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@...> wrote:

                > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
                > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
                > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
                > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
                > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                  > I've been using Microsoft Word for Windows to do exactly that for
                  > many years. A web search will show the method easily. I used to
                  > print booklets in WP, but then I needed to use some accented
                  > letters that WP only supported in its generic international fonts,
                  > so I switched my booklet printing to Word.
                  >
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Diane Mettam <dmettam@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I've made a few concessions. I only use WP for
                  > > booklets - WP is the ONLY word processor that could
                  > > subdivide pages and then logically print the pages so
                  > > that you could come out with a book with pages 1 and
                  > > 8, and 2 and 7 on opposite sides, for instance.

                  Thanks Diane. He doesn't have Word for Windoze. He has a MAC.

                  Mike
                • Bruce Rogers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Hello. I'm a new member of this discussion group.

                    I'm currently a WordPerfect for Windows user, contemplating replacing
                    my Dell laptop and considering an Apple product for that replacement.

                    My firm uses WordPerfect as the word processor of choice (on Windows
                    machines). So I am wondering whether there is an implementation of
                    WordPerfect for a current generation of Apple laptop that would allow
                    me to remain integrated with the Windows-based group I work with.

                    I suppose one option is to run windows on a partition on the Apple
                    laptop, and to install WordPerfect for Windows and run it from that
                    partition. However I was kind of hoping to get away from the
                    perpetual operability hassles I have had to put up with since I
                    stopped using a Mac 15 years ago. Maybe that's just not a practical dream.

                    Any suggestions?

                    Bruce Rogers
                    Dallas/Fort Worth
                  • Joe Edgell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                      The oft quoted solutions, Bruce, are either the separate Windows
                      partition and running WordPerfect under Windows using Bootcamp, the
                      more elegant solution of running Windows within your Mac using
                      Parallels desktop or VMWare's Fusion, or converting the documents
                      using Dataviz's MacLinkPlus Deluxe. The easiest solution, if the most
                      expensive, is the VMWare or Parallels solution.