Re: [wpmac] Re: Note Editor Macro

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
      Thanks, John. I'm using what I think is an older version of the
      macro, and it works just fine. This one, when you create the note
      editor file, prompts you to add the word "endnotes" to the file name
      but doesn't say that it's case sensitive (which I think the later
      version does say)--though I've been careful to do so. Also, this
      version puts a line at the top stating that it's a note editor file
      for [filename]. (I don't recall the newer version doing that.) On a
      different Mac from the one I normally use, the endnotes still came
      out in Roman, but I was able to go into endnote options, answer "no"
      to the question about whether I wanted to use letters instead of
      numbers, and they magically transformed into Arabic numbers. (Though
      earlier today I ran the macro on my G3 laptop and they came out
      Arabic by default. Go figure.)

      I'm not sure what was causing my crashing problem. I had trashed
      prefs files several times, unsuccessfully. I think I cured my
      disappearing endnote number problem, though. For some reason, when I
      edited the endnote style to make the notes double-spaced, I think I
      lost the space after the endnote number. It's actually hard to see
      this clearly in the endnote window, without turning on "reveal
      codes" (which I know that I can do in an endnote window, though it
      reduces the size of the text space in the window, and I didn't want
      to resize the note window), so I didn't notice it until I copied the
      notes into a file using the endnotes->text macro. I surmise that,
      without this space, when I opened the endnote, the number symbol was
      probably being highlighted and it was disappearing, though I thought
      that it was doing it before I typed or pasted any text--though I
      could be mistaken. At any rate, making sure there's a space seems to
      have cured this problem.

      So, my solution is to copy the notes into the note editor, use the
      table to text function (though the only way I can properly select the
      entire table to make this option available is to use the shift-opt-T
      command--clicking and dragging won't do it) so that I can produce a
      file that will enable longer notes to wrap to following pages, and
      then I have to remember to select all the text and left justify it,
      as the numbers are right justified and end up on lines by themselves
      if I don't. The process is actually quicker than it sounds.

      Sorry for the long explanation. The important thing is, it seems to
      be working now, and I'm not panicking with 5 days to go to a book
      deadline. Well, at least I'm not panicking about *that.*

      Thanks again. When I'm done with this project, I'll check it out
      again with the 5.0 version. It's possible that it might even work
      this time.

      Best,
      Rick Albright

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, logres@... wrote:

        > I'm having some trouble with John's Note Editor macro. I've used this
        > before, but it's been awhile. I'm attempting to copy endnotes to a
        > separate file. The first few times I did this, I succeeded in creating the
        > note editor file and copying the notes, but they all came out as Roman
        > numerals in the editor document. (They're in Arabic numerals in the
        > WP document.) I tried to go into the Editor Options to change this,
        > but kept getting a message saying that I had to have a note editor
        > document as the front window. (It was.)

        > Any ideas? And, assuming I ever do get this macro to run again,
        > how do I get arabic numbered endnotes? It happens with all my files.

        Rick, sorry to take so long to get to this, but I can't duplicate it,
        at least in SheepShaver on Intel (my PPC Mac is currently down). Note
        Editor 5.0 runs as it should.

        > I'm using what I think is an older version of the macro, and it works
        > just fine.

        > I'm not sure what was causing my crashing problem. I had trashed
        > prefs files several times, unsuccessfully. I think I cured my
        > disappearing endnote number problem, though. For some reason, when I
        > edited the endnote style to make the notes double-spaced, I think I
        > lost the space after the endnote number.

        One possibility that suggests itself is that the Endnote style in your
        Library has become corrupted. I would delete it from the Library and
        make a new one (just name it "Endnote" and it will work).

        BTW edit the Endnote style to make text within notes double-spaced;
        edit the Document style (or whatever body text style you're using) to
        change distance between notes. This is problematic with WP's endnotes
        though, while Note Editor can put any amount of space, e.g. single
        space, between endnotes.

        > The important thing is, it seems to be working now, and I'm not
        > panicking with 5 days to go to a book deadline. Well, at least I'm
        > not panicking about *that.*

        First things first.

        > Thanks again. When I'm done with this project, I'll check it out
        > again with the 5.0 version. It's possible that it might even work
        > this time.

        Please check out Note Editor 5.0.1, which I've just posted.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2008
          > > I'm having some trouble with John's Note Editor macro. I've used this
          > > before, but it's been awhile. I'm attempting to copy endnotes to a
          > > separate file. The first few times I did this, I succeeded in creating the
          > > note editor file and copying the notes, but they all came out as Roman
          > > numerals in the editor document. (They're in Arabic numerals in the
          > > WP document.)

          In Tools > Outlining... , do you have custom settings for Outline Style?

          John R.
        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2008
            John, thanks again for all your help. I will certainly try out the
            new note editor.

            I'm not sure what was going on. I was having intermittent issues with
            the note editor on two different Macs, a G3 iBook and a G4 mini
            (working with the files on both)--though the mini was originally
            configured using the WordPerfect files from the iBook; therefore, if
            that Endnote style was corrupted in some way, I probably transmitted
            it to the other machine. So I'll have to try out your suggestion
            about creating a new Endnote style.

            I don't recall ever changing any of the outline styles, and have
            rarely used the outline function, though I know that a number of our
            list members are quite enthusiastic about it.

            While my roman numeral problem went away (as did the more serious
            crashing problem), the only issue that remained was when my
            copyeditor emailed the other day to say that a number of my endnotes
            had the number "1" showing up after the endnote number. Not all of
            them, just enough that she thought it must have been deliberate. I
            had noticed these showing up when I was printing notes or moving them
            over to a separate file via Note Editor, and thought I had deleted
            them, but either I missed some of them, or they reappeared. There
            doesn't seem to be any pattern to which notes got the extra numbers,
            but my theory is that these were the notes that, at the time I had
            been editing them (in WordPerfect's note function, not the editor),
            my endnote numbers were disappearing (and I was clicking on the #
            icon on the editing window. So now that I've had time to reflect, it
            does seem like it could be some kind of corruption problem. However,
            please don't waste any time trying to duplicate it. It's not a
            pressing issue now, and if it happens again, you've given me some
            ideas about how I might resolve it.

            Thanks again. You've more than earned a mention in the
            "Acknowledgments" page of my book (an obscure academic book on 19th
            century Gothic and sensation fiction that will be published in
            limited numbers, end up on a few college library shelves, and likely
            be read by nearly no one!)
            ~Rick Albright