Re: [wpmac] SheepShaver

  • jpwav716
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
      I saved this message from when I had the same problem.
      I finally get a chance to contribute to this forum.
      This is from John Rethorst
      You can copy and paste text, including styled text, to and
      from WordPerfect in SheepShaver and any OSX application.
      The way to do this is included in the Using SheepShaver
      and WP.pdf document included in the distribution, but it
      could perhaps be clearer.

      When we say clipboard, we actually mean one of the few
      clipboards probably active on our Mac at any time. The
      OS has a clipboard, for use by all running applications,
      but larger or more sophisticated applications tend to be
      written with their own clipboards. The application has more
      control over it and it's faster, but the application and
      system clipboards then need to talk to each other to transfer
      data. They do this when you switch applications.

      When you copy and paste from one OS 9 app to another,
      or from one OSX app to another, you first select text and
      choose Copy from the Edit menu. This places the text on
      application A's clipboard. You then switch to application B
      to paste.

      When you brought application B to the front (activated it),
      application A pasted the contents of its clipboard onto the
      system clipboard, for use by any other application. When
      application B came to the front, it copied the contents of the
      system clipboard, so that text is now on application B's
      clipboard as well. Then you paste, and the text appears in
      application B's front window.

      This works the same way with SheepShaver and WP, but
      remember that WP is now an application running inside
      SS, another application, so we need to do a total of one
      extra mouse click to get the text from one clipboard to
      the other. So:

      1) to copy text from WP to any OSX app:

      select text in WP and copy. This puts the text on WP's
      clipboard. Then click on the SheepShaver desktop, to
      bring the Finder to the front. This copies the text from
      WP's clipboard to SheepShaver' s clipboard. Then switch
      to the OSX app and paste.

      2) to copy text from any OSX app to WP:

      select text in the OSX app and copy. Switch to SheepShaver.
      If WP is the active app in SS, click on the SS desktop.
      This copies the text to SS's clipboard. Then click in the
      WP window. This activates WP and copies the text to
      WP's clipboard. Then paste.

      This sounds much more complicated than it is. Just
      remember to click on the SS desktop on your way to
      or from WP, and it works fine.

      John R.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
        Copy text from the WP document. Click once on the Sheepshaver
        desktop.Paste the text into the mail message.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jackdveirin" <jdveirin@...> wrote:

        > I opened a WordPerfect document on my MacBook with SheepShaver. I
        > wanted to copy text from the WP document and paste it into an e-mail.
        > I could not figure out how to do that. I could copy the text. But,
        > it would not paste into the e-mail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
      • Dick
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
          I've tried to install SheepShaver on my MacBook, and I think I know
          why it's not working, but I'd like your advice on how to proceed.

          I have a SheepShaver folder called SheepShaver folder, containing:

          SheepShaver
          BasiliskII_keycodes
          a folder called shared
          a file called Mac OS ROM that I have good reason to believe is a
          compatible ROM file
          a locked disk image file called macos9800.dmg that purports to be the right disk image.

          It's the last that I suspect. But the contents look like what I would
          expect to see in the right disk image.

          Sheepshaver fails to launch.

          How would you suggest I proceed?

          Dick Plotz