Re: Viewing & Using Files

  • thomasbriant
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      Tip #1

      OS X only allows you to share your Home Directory across a
      network. What do you do if you need to access a file on, say,
      an external Firewire/USB2 drive plugged into your Mac
      that you want to access from another Mac or even a Windows
      machine?

      This is a hack I came across on howto.wired.com.

      1. Plug in all your drives that you want Sheepshaver
      to recognize
      2. Open your Terminal.
      3. Make sure you're in the Home Directory by entered
      "cd ~" Without The Quotes.
      Then press return.
      4. Enter this sequence without the quotes:
      "ln -s /Volumes Volumes" and press Return.
      5. You will then have a link inside your home
      directory called Volumes that you can use to get to any
      drive that was connected to your Mac.

      In either Sheepshaver GUI or SheepshaverPrefs, the
      two applications for setting up Sheepshaver preferences;
      enter this line where it asks for UNIX root:
      "/Users/<username>/Volumes"

      Now start Sheepshaver and you should see all the
      volumes you had plugged in available when you open
      up UNIX.

      But there's a catch. If you formatted the volume as a
      system volume, your /User folder's aren't available to
      you. Why? I don't know.

      All the non-system volumes, though, such as USB flash
      drives and external Firewire/USB hard drives, will appear.
      These, I believe, are the ones you wanted your client to have
      access to.

      Tip #2

      If you just want access to a particular USB flash drive, you
      would set up the UNIX root path as "/Volumes/<drivename>"

      In my case, I call my 4 gig USB stick "No Name" so that
      command would "/Volumes/No
      Name".

      And remember, you don't want the quotes entered in
      the actual command.

      Tom Briant
      Secretary/Editor
      MacValley Users Group
      www.macvalley.org

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Gifford" <gif@...> wrote:

      > I created a SheepShaver/WordPerfect slice for a client, using the
      > files from this site. It works fine, with a couple of issues that I
      > haven't been able to figure out. It creates a volume called Unix. I've
      > been able to identify that as the Documents folder and can move files
      > in to it from the OX 10 side, but they don't alway show up.
      > Alternatively, I've tried to make other volumes visible, such as
      > external firewire drives or folders at the same level as Documents,
      > such as Desktop. I cannot get past this. Can anyone help me make wp
      > 3.52 files available to the SheepShaver partition? Thanks in advance.
      > --
      > Mike Gifford
      > MACwiz
      > 2828 Dimond Drive
      > West Jordan, UT 84084
      > 801.566.3962 voice
      > 801.566.6722 fax
      > 801.243.8255 cell
      > gif@...
      >
      > The World will have Peace when the Power of Love is Greater than the
      > Love of Power! No Matter the Question, Love is the Answer!

    • Joe LeMonnier
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
        This is not a question about WP , but about Sheepshaver.
        I have set the root volume to be my OSX hard drive so that I can see
        everything.

        I use a couple of mapmaking applications that use huge data files that
        I store there.

        The problem is that only some of the files ( on the OSX drive) are
        accessible . By some, I mean that one of the applications cannot read
        the file type associated with it when the files are on that drive. But
        another application can read its associated data just fine from the
        same place. The two file types differ greatly, but its interesting to
        know that it is the much larger (up to 100 meg) type that reads and
        the smaller (less than 5 megs) that doesn't.

        Both file types are in the same level directory on the OSX drive and
        both work beautifully when I first transfer them to one of the dmg
        OS9 drives and then reopen sheepshaver.

        I would just keep them all on the OS9 drives but their total size is
        around 4 gigs. I could prune the whole data package down somewhat if
        necessary.

        So, 2 questions:

        (1) how can I make the unreadable files readable?

        and (2) What's the max size I can make a diskimage drive that will
        work in sheepshaver.

        I've got a macbook pro w. 2 gigs and plan to add another 2 very soon.

        thanks,

        Joe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008

          > For those for whom it matters, Sheepshaver seems to work fine with
          > Mac OSX 10.5.3.

          Geoff, have you used Leopard Spotlight's richer search syntax
          to find text in WP docs? Is it amazing?

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
            John

            Sorry, no, but I'll give it a try.