Viewing & Using Files

  • Michael W. Gifford
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2008
      I created a SheepShaver/WordPerfect slice for a client, using the
      files from this site. It works fine, with a couple of issues that I
      haven't been able to figure out. It creates a volume called Unix. I've
      been able to identify that as the Documents folder and can move files
      in to it from the OX 10 side, but they don't alway show up.
      Alternatively, I've tried to make other volumes visible, such as
      external firewire drives or folders at the same level as Documents,
      such as Desktop. I cannot get past this. Can anyone help me make wp
      3.52 files available to the SheepShaver partition? Thanks in advance.
      --
      Mike Gifford
      MACwiz

      The World will have Peace when the Power of Love is Greater than the
      Love of Power! No Matter the Question, Love is the Answer!

    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        Tip #1

        OS X only allows you to share your Home Directory across a
        network. What do you do if you need to access a file on, say,
        an external Firewire/USB2 drive plugged into your Mac
        that you want to access from another Mac or even a Windows
        machine?

        This is a hack I came across on howto.wired.com.

        1. Plug in all your drives that you want Sheepshaver
        to recognize
        2. Open your Terminal.
        3. Make sure you're in the Home Directory by entered
        "cd ~" Without The Quotes.
        Then press return.
        4. Enter this sequence without the quotes:
        "ln -s /Volumes Volumes" and press Return.
        5. You will then have a link inside your home
        directory called Volumes that you can use to get to any
        drive that was connected to your Mac.

        In either Sheepshaver GUI or SheepshaverPrefs, the
        two applications for setting up Sheepshaver preferences;
        enter this line where it asks for UNIX root:
        "/Users/<username>/Volumes"

        Now start Sheepshaver and you should see all the
        volumes you had plugged in available when you open
        up UNIX.

        But there's a catch. If you formatted the volume as a
        system volume, your /User folder's aren't available to
        you. Why? I don't know.

        All the non-system volumes, though, such as USB flash
        drives and external Firewire/USB hard drives, will appear.
        These, I believe, are the ones you wanted your client to have
        access to.

        Tip #2

        If you just want access to a particular USB flash drive, you
        would set up the UNIX root path as "/Volumes/<drivename>"

        In my case, I call my 4 gig USB stick "No Name" so that
        command would "/Volumes/No
        Name".

        And remember, you don't want the quotes entered in
        the actual command.

        Tom Briant
        Secretary/Editor
        MacValley Users Group
        www.macvalley.org

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Gifford" <gif@...> wrote:

        > I created a SheepShaver/WordPerfect slice for a client, using the
        > files from this site. It works fine, with a couple of issues that I
        > haven't been able to figure out. It creates a volume called Unix. I've
        > been able to identify that as the Documents folder and can move files
        > in to it from the OX 10 side, but they don't alway show up.
        > Alternatively, I've tried to make other volumes visible, such as
        > external firewire drives or folders at the same level as Documents,
        > such as Desktop. I cannot get past this. Can anyone help me make wp
        > 3.52 files available to the SheepShaver partition? Thanks in advance.
        > --
        > Mike Gifford
        > MACwiz
        > 2828 Dimond Drive
        > West Jordan, UT 84084
        > 801.566.3962 voice
        > 801.566.6722 fax
        > 801.243.8255 cell
        > gif@...
        >
        > The World will have Peace when the Power of Love is Greater than the
        > Love of Power! No Matter the Question, Love is the Answer!

      • Joe LeMonnier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
          This is not a question about WP , but about Sheepshaver.
          I have set the root volume to be my OSX hard drive so that I can see
          everything.

          I use a couple of mapmaking applications that use huge data files that
          I store there.

          The problem is that only some of the files ( on the OSX drive) are
          accessible . By some, I mean that one of the applications cannot read
          the file type associated with it when the files are on that drive. But
          another application can read its associated data just fine from the
          same place. The two file types differ greatly, but its interesting to
          know that it is the much larger (up to 100 meg) type that reads and
          the smaller (less than 5 megs) that doesn't.

          Both file types are in the same level directory on the OSX drive and
          both work beautifully when I first transfer them to one of the dmg
          OS9 drives and then reopen sheepshaver.

          I would just keep them all on the OS9 drives but their total size is
          around 4 gigs. I could prune the whole data package down somewhat if
          necessary.

          So, 2 questions:

          (1) how can I make the unreadable files readable?

          and (2) What's the max size I can make a diskimage drive that will
          work in sheepshaver.

          I've got a macbook pro w. 2 gigs and plan to add another 2 very soon.

          thanks,

          Joe
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008

            > For those for whom it matters, Sheepshaver seems to work fine with
            > Mac OSX 10.5.3.

            Geoff, have you used Leopard Spotlight's richer search syntax
            to find text in WP docs? Is it amazing?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
              John

              Sorry, no, but I'll give it a try.