Sheepshaver startup prob.

  • tradley11
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28, 2008
      Hey guys, I'm stuck at a certain part for Sheepshaver. I found
      a good rom (newworld86.rom), and got a volume disk, but when
      I start the app. it just shows a floppy disk with a question mark
      blinking in the center of the screen. What does it mean? How do
      I fix it? I'm very desperate for an answer, for I've searched the
      internet and found no good answer.
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 10 , May 28, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tradley11" <tradley11@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, I'm stuck at a certain part for Sheepshaver. I found
        > a good rom (newworld86.rom), and got a volume disk, but when
        > I start the app. it just shows a floppy disk with a question mark
        > blinking in the center of the screen. What does it mean? How do
        > I fix it? I'm very desperate for an answer, for I've searched the
        > internet and found no good answer.

        The floppy disk with the blinking question mark means Sheepshaver
        can't find your boot volume.

        Did you run either Sheepshaver GUI or SheepshaverPrefs to set up
        the paths to your volume and your ROM? As well as how much
        memory you want to allocate?

        If you haven't done so already, go to the Links section of this
        group and download Sheepshaver-Wordperfect 1.1.zip. It's about
        250 Mb and contains all the components for setting up Sheepshaver.
        Thank John Rethorst for putting it together. Read the Installation
        PDF, it's full of good stuff.

        Tom Briant
      • tradley11
        Message 3 of 10 , May 29, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "thomasbriant" <thomasfish@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tradley11" <tradley11@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys, I'm stuck at a certain part for Sheepshaver. I found
          > > a good rom (newworld86.rom), and got a volume disk, but when
          > > I start the app. it just shows a floppy disk with a question mark
          > > blinking in the center of the screen. What does it mean? How do
          > > I fix it? I'm very desperate for an answer, for I've searched the
          > > internet and found no good answer.
          > >

          > The floppy disk with the blinking question mark means Sheepshaver
          > can't find your boot volume.
          >
          > Did you run either Sheepshaver GUI or SheepshaverPrefs to set up
          > the paths to your volume and your ROM? As well as how much
          > memory you want to allocate?
          >
          > If you haven't done so already, go to the Links section of this
          > group and download Sheepshaver-Wordperfect 1.1.zip. It's about
          > 250 Mb and contains all the components for setting up Sheepshaver.
          > Thank John Rethorst for putting it together. Read the Installation
          > PDF, it's full of good stuff.
          >
          > Tom Briant

          Umm...where exactly in the links section is it, i can't quite find it.
          (Sorry if i'm acting stupid to you) and once i find it, how exactly
          do i use it, I'm not good with this kind of technology.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tradley11" <tradley11@...> wrote:

            > Umm...where exactly in the links section is it, i can't quite find it.
            > (Sorry if i'm acting stupid to you) and once i find it, how exactly
            > do i use it, I'm not good with this kind of technology.

            The third item on the Links page is a folder named "Sheepshaver". Go
            there. Scroll down until you find what you're looking for. Instructions
            included.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2008
              For those for whom it matters, Sheepshaver seems to work fine with
              Mac OSX 10.5.3.

              Geoff
            • Michael W. Gifford
              Message 6 of 10 , May 31, 2008
                I created a SheepShaver/WordPerfect slice for a client, using the
                files from this site. It works fine, with a couple of issues that I
                haven't been able to figure out. It creates a volume called Unix. I've
                been able to identify that as the Documents folder and can move files
                in to it from the OX 10 side, but they don't alway show up.
                Alternatively, I've tried to make other volumes visible, such as
                external firewire drives or folders at the same level as Documents,
                such as Desktop. I cannot get past this. Can anyone help me make wp
                3.52 files available to the SheepShaver partition? Thanks in advance.
                --
                Mike Gifford
                MACwiz

                The World will have Peace when the Power of Love is Greater than the
                Love of Power! No Matter the Question, Love is the Answer!

              • thomasbriant
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Tip #1

                  OS X only allows you to share your Home Directory across a
                  network. What do you do if you need to access a file on, say,
                  an external Firewire/USB2 drive plugged into your Mac
                  that you want to access from another Mac or even a Windows
                  machine?

                  This is a hack I came across on howto.wired.com.

                  1. Plug in all your drives that you want Sheepshaver
                  to recognize
                  2. Open your Terminal.
                  3. Make sure you're in the Home Directory by entered
                  "cd ~" Without The Quotes.
                  Then press return.
                  4. Enter this sequence without the quotes:
                  "ln -s /Volumes Volumes" and press Return.
                  5. You will then have a link inside your home
                  directory called Volumes that you can use to get to any
                  drive that was connected to your Mac.

                  In either Sheepshaver GUI or SheepshaverPrefs, the
                  two applications for setting up Sheepshaver preferences;
                  enter this line where it asks for UNIX root:
                  "/Users/<username>/Volumes"

                  Now start Sheepshaver and you should see all the
                  volumes you had plugged in available when you open
                  up UNIX.

                  But there's a catch. If you formatted the volume as a
                  system volume, your /User folder's aren't available to
                  you. Why? I don't know.

                  All the non-system volumes, though, such as USB flash
                  drives and external Firewire/USB hard drives, will appear.
                  These, I believe, are the ones you wanted your client to have
                  access to.

                  Tip #2

                  If you just want access to a particular USB flash drive, you
                  would set up the UNIX root path as "/Volumes/<drivename>"

                  In my case, I call my 4 gig USB stick "No Name" so that
                  command would "/Volumes/No
                  Name".

                  And remember, you don't want the quotes entered in
                  the actual command.

                  Tom Briant
                  Secretary/Editor
                  MacValley Users Group
                  www.macvalley.org

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Gifford" <gif@...> wrote:

                  > I created a SheepShaver/WordPerfect slice for a client, using the
                  > files from this site. It works fine, with a couple of issues that I
                  > haven't been able to figure out. It creates a volume called Unix. I've
                  > been able to identify that as the Documents folder and can move files
                  > in to it from the OX 10 side, but they don't alway show up.
                  > Alternatively, I've tried to make other volumes visible, such as
                  > external firewire drives or folders at the same level as Documents,
                  > such as Desktop. I cannot get past this. Can anyone help me make wp
                  > 3.52 files available to the SheepShaver partition? Thanks in advance.
                  > --
                  > Mike Gifford
                  > MACwiz
                  > 2828 Dimond Drive
                  > West Jordan, UT 84084
                  > 801.566.3962 voice
                  > 801.566.6722 fax
                  > 801.243.8255 cell
                  > gif@...
                  >
                  > The World will have Peace when the Power of Love is Greater than the
                  > Love of Power! No Matter the Question, Love is the Answer!

                • Joe LeMonnier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
                    This is not a question about WP , but about Sheepshaver.
                    I have set the root volume to be my OSX hard drive so that I can see
                    everything.

                    I use a couple of mapmaking applications that use huge data files that
                    I store there.

                    The problem is that only some of the files ( on the OSX drive) are
                    accessible . By some, I mean that one of the applications cannot read
                    the file type associated with it when the files are on that drive. But
                    another application can read its associated data just fine from the
                    same place. The two file types differ greatly, but its interesting to
                    know that it is the much larger (up to 100 meg) type that reads and
                    the smaller (less than 5 megs) that doesn't.

                    Both file types are in the same level directory on the OSX drive and
                    both work beautifully when I first transfer them to one of the dmg
                    OS9 drives and then reopen sheepshaver.

                    I would just keep them all on the OS9 drives but their total size is
                    around 4 gigs. I could prune the whole data package down somewhat if
                    necessary.

                    So, 2 questions:

                    (1) how can I make the unreadable files readable?

                    and (2) What's the max size I can make a diskimage drive that will
                    work in sheepshaver.

                    I've got a macbook pro w. 2 gigs and plan to add another 2 very soon.

                    thanks,

                    Joe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008

                      > For those for whom it matters, Sheepshaver seems to work fine with
                      > Mac OSX 10.5.3.

                      Geoff, have you used Leopard Spotlight's richer search syntax
                      to find text in WP docs? Is it amazing?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
                        John

                        Sorry, no, but I'll give it a try.