end of file error -39, via server

  • bcqc2003
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008
      An old problem with a new twist.

      We are running 3.5e, suitably current, using Classic in 10.4.11 PPC.
      When using common documents, we work from one on a file server, then
      Save or Save As, as required. One such document is a list of service
      providers and contact information. All Privileges are set for all to
      Read and Write. Just one of our Macs refuses to save any changes made
      from there, retorting "end of file error -39" to a Save or Save As
      command. None of the other Macs have that problem with that document.

      Until now, I thought that error was in the document itself but that
      cannot be the case here. We have Rebuilt Classic, run Preferential
      Treatment, Repaired Disk Permissions and re-started.

      Any ideas?

      Barney
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003" <barney.christianson@...> wrote:

        > Just one of our Macs refuses to save any changes made
        > from there, retorting "end of file error -39" to a Save or Save As
        > command. None of the other Macs have that problem with that document.
        >
        > Until now, I thought that error was in the document itself but that
        > cannot be the case here.

        Will this Mac save changes to a local document? Will it save changes
        to other server documents?

        IAC, deleting the Prefs file on that machine would be a good start.

        John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2008
          This is just a random guess, but you might try copying the file from
          the server to the local hard drive of the Mac that cannot save it.
          Then save changes to that file and copy it back to the server. Or
          better yet, copy the entire contents of the document to the clipboard
          and paste it into a new document on the local hard drive, then copy
          it to the server.
          --

          Bob Stern