Re: [wpmac] Run WP 9.0 on MacBook?

  • Kevin Lepard
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2008
      > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual machine, you
      > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware programs - AdAware and
      > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and I've had few
      > problems with either of them.

      This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual machine to connect to
      the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the overhead of these
      programs in my virtual machines.

      Since you're talking about using WIndows in emulation, you may be able
      to avoid doing this.

      Just a thought.

      Kevin
    • Diane Mettam
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2008
        There is software I need to run that updates itself,
        like my AV and spyware software, as well as a photo
        management program that I sell as a consultant.
        Windows registration must be done online as well. So
        I think I'm stuck.

        It's fascinating to have Windows crash while Tiger
        purrs along smoothly!

        Diane
        --- Kevin Lepard <kolepard001@...> wrote:

        > > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows
        > virtual machine, you
        > > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware
        > programs - AdAware and
        > > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and
        > I've had few
        > > problems with either of them.
        > >
        > This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual
        > machine to connect to
        > the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the
        > overhead of these
        > programs in my virtual machines.
        >
        > Since you're talking about using WIndows in
        > emulation, you may be able
        > to avoid doing this.
        >
        > Just a thought.
        >
        > Kevin

      • joseph.strong94
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2008
          I run WP office version 12 on a Macbook using Vmware's Fusion. Fusion
          has a Unity mode that allows PC programs to run from the dock, and in
          windows side by side with MAC programs. You can also cut and paste
          across the two platforms, so it is like there is only one machine. I
          have Windows XP running on the virtual machine. I keep all
          my "changeable files" on the MAC so if Windows get corrupted, or
          attacked by a virus, I can just reload a copy of the virtual machine
          and never miss a beat. Fusion has a snapshot feature for this, and now
          time machine supports backing up virtual machines. I wish Corel would
          get a current MAC version of WP, but this will have to do for now.

          in the Holy Family,
          Joseph Strong