Re: [wpmac] Re: How to Add UNIX HD to SheepShaver volume

  • Patricia S. Rudden
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2008
      Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
      download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
      curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
      them to start.

      PR

      On May 11, 2008, at 10:52 PM, drderbes wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden"
      > <huntergirl@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
      >> piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
      >> Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
      >> happen on an Intel machine?
      >>
      >> BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
      >> Pat Rudden
      >> New York City
      >>>

      > This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.
      >
      > The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
      > SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
      > Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
      > http://www.nisus.com/.
      >
      > There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
      > just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?
      >
      > David Derbes
      > U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2008
        <huntergirl@...> wrote:

        > Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
        > download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
        > curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
        > them to start.
        >
        > PR

        I imagine someone has compiled a list of classic programs that do or do
        not work under Sheepshaver, but the few I've tried (under the version
        of the OS that comes with John's install -- I still to have unearth my
        install disks for anything more recent) work just fine. Just mount the
        sheepshaver disk image in OS X, drag the requisite file(s) and folder
        (s) to where you want them, and unmount it before launching SS. I've
        even been able to run them with the classic app living in the Unix
        disk/folder, but desktop associations (file type to app) don't work
        well in that situation.

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN