Re: [wpmac] How to Add UNIX HD to SheepShaver volume

  • Patricia S. Rudden
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11 7:20 PM
      I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
      piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
      Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that happen
      on an Intel machine?

      BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
      Pat Rudden
      New York City

      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 7:45 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden" <huntergirl@...> wrote:

        > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.

        Isn't it? It's just as good as in Classic, and is better in Classic than
        on earlier Macs.

        SS is actually _better_ than Classic in some ways. Macro freak that I
        am, I had about 100 Quickeys shortcuts, none of which would run
        in Classic but all of which run in SS.

        SS also conforms to the Spaces feature in Leopard, and the predecessor
        Escapade in Panther and Tiger. SS is a first-class OSX application, as
        it were, while Classic is not.

        There's also speed. WP is faster than it's ever been before.

        John R.
      • drderbes
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11 7:52 PM
          <huntergirl@...> wrote:

          > I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
          > piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
          > Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
          > happen on an Intel machine?
          >
          > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
          > Pat Rudden
          > New York City

          This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.

          The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
          SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
          Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
          http://www.nisus.com/.

          There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
          just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?

          David Derbes
          U of Chicago Laboratory Schools
        • Patricia S. Rudden
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11 7:57 PM
            Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
            download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
            curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
            them to start.

            PR

            On May 11, 2008, at 10:52 PM, drderbes wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden"
            > <huntergirl@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
            >> piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
            >> Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
            >> happen on an Intel machine?
            >>
            >> BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
            >> Pat Rudden
            >> New York City
            >>>

            > This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.
            >
            > The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
            > SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
            > Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
            > http://www.nisus.com/.
            >
            > There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
            > just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?
            >
            > David Derbes
            > U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 10 , May 12 7:07 AM
              <huntergirl@...> wrote:

              > Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
              > download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
              > curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
              > them to start.
              >
              > PR

              I imagine someone has compiled a list of classic programs that do or do
              not work under Sheepshaver, but the few I've tried (under the version
              of the OS that comes with John's install -- I still to have unearth my
              install disks for anything more recent) work just fine. Just mount the
              sheepshaver disk image in OS X, drag the requisite file(s) and folder
              (s) to where you want them, and unmount it before launching SS. I've
              even been able to run them with the classic app living in the Unix
              disk/folder, but desktop associations (file type to app) don't work
              well in that situation.

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN