Re: [wpmac] How to Add UNIX HD to SheepShaver volume

  • William R. Veder
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2008
      Dear John,

      Thanks to you and the others, both Collate and Conc have a new lease
      on life. No need to worry about programming. Incidentally, Altsys
      Fontographer 4.1, which is rather capricious under OS 9.2.2, seems to
      work fine under SS.

      Thanks again: William

      William R. Veder
      713 Pintail St.
      Deerfield, IL 60015
      +1 (847) 279-8263
      Please, reply to: william@...

    • Patricia S. Rudden
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2008
        I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
        piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
        Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that happen
        on an Intel machine?

        BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
        Pat Rudden
        New York City

        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden" <huntergirl@...> wrote:

          > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.

          Isn't it? It's just as good as in Classic, and is better in Classic than
          on earlier Macs.

          SS is actually _better_ than Classic in some ways. Macro freak that I
          am, I had about 100 Quickeys shortcuts, none of which would run
          in Classic but all of which run in SS.

          SS also conforms to the Spaces feature in Leopard, and the predecessor
          Escapade in Panther and Tiger. SS is a first-class OSX application, as
          it were, while Classic is not.

          There's also speed. WP is faster than it's ever been before.

          John R.
        • drderbes
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2008
            <huntergirl@...> wrote:

            > I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
            > piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
            > Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
            > happen on an Intel machine?
            >
            > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
            > Pat Rudden
            > New York City

            This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.

            The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
            SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
            Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
            http://www.nisus.com/.

            There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
            just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?

            David Derbes
            U of Chicago Laboratory Schools
          • Patricia S. Rudden
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2008
              Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
              download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
              curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
              them to start.

              PR

              On May 11, 2008, at 10:52 PM, drderbes wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden"
              > <huntergirl@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
              >> piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
              >> Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
              >> happen on an Intel machine?
              >>
              >> BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
              >> Pat Rudden
              >> New York City
              >>>

              > This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.
              >
              > The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
              > SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
              > Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
              > http://www.nisus.com/.
              >
              > There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
              > just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?
              >
              > David Derbes
              > U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 10 , May 12, 2008
                <huntergirl@...> wrote:

                > Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
                > download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
                > curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
                > them to start.
                >
                > PR

                I imagine someone has compiled a list of classic programs that do or do
                not work under Sheepshaver, but the few I've tried (under the version
                of the OS that comes with John's install -- I still to have unearth my
                install disks for anything more recent) work just fine. Just mount the
                sheepshaver disk image in OS X, drag the requisite file(s) and folder
                (s) to where you want them, and unmount it before launching SS. I've
                even been able to run them with the classic app living in the Unix
                disk/folder, but desktop associations (file type to app) don't work
                well in that situation.

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN