Re: Run WP 9.0 on MacBook?

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2008
      WordPerfect 9.0 or later are windows (PC) versions, not
      Mac versions. (The latest Mac version was 3.5 ages ago.)

      To run WP 9.0 or later, you need to buy Windows emulator
      software, such as Parallels or BootCamp, so that your Mac
      will be able to run Windows software.

      Another option is to do the editing in a Mac program such
      as Word and then use software such as MacLink to convert
      it to Windows WordPerfect, but if there's tricky formatting, it
      might get messed up.

      PJ

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

      > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
      >
      > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
      > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
      > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
      > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
      > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
      > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
      > appreciated.

    • Diane Mettam
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2008
        I've learned from experience you must install a
        partition program. I used Parallels, and am happy
        with it. Then you must install Windows. I tried
        installing Windows 2000, a very stable version of
        Windows, because Parallels said it was supported. I
        never got a full screen, nor was I able to install or
        run software. So I installed Windows XP, and
        everything works fine.

        Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual
        machine, you must also install antivirus and
        anti-spyware programs - AdAware and AVG Antivirus are
        both free software programs, and I've had few problems
        with either of them.

        Now you can install WordPerfect. I've done so, plus a
        few other programs I need that don't have Mac
        versions, and they run pretty well. You will, of
        course, have the usual bug problems with Windows
        itself, which is why I bought a Mac in the first
        place, but we can hope that the market will comprehend
        the number of Windows users running to Mac and start
        to offer us their programs in Mac versions. Hope this
        helps! Blessings - Diane

        --- "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

        > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a
        > predicament.
        >
        > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the
        > only problem is
        > that the publishing house insists upon using
        > WordPerfect 9.0 or
        > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run
        > on Mac OS X.
        > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this
        > version of
        > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other
        > programs that
        > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would
        > be most
        > appreciated.

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2008
          You will need to run Windows on your Mac and you will need to
          run WordPerfect for Windows in the copy of Windows that you
          run on your Mac. There are various ways to do this. A good survey
          is here:

          http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

          SheepShaver has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, and
          you will not find any relevant information in this group. Web
          searches on "Windows on Mac" or similar terms will produce
          the information you need.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

          > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
          >
          > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
          > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
          > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
          > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
          > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
          > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
          > appreciated.

        • Kevin Lepard
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2008
            > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual machine, you
            > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware programs - AdAware and
            > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and I've had few
            > problems with either of them.

            This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual machine to connect to
            the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the overhead of these
            programs in my virtual machines.

            Since you're talking about using WIndows in emulation, you may be able
            to avoid doing this.

            Just a thought.

            Kevin
          • Diane Mettam
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2008
              There is software I need to run that updates itself,
              like my AV and spyware software, as well as a photo
              management program that I sell as a consultant.
              Windows registration must be done online as well. So
              I think I'm stuck.

              It's fascinating to have Windows crash while Tiger
              purrs along smoothly!

              Diane
              --- Kevin Lepard <kolepard001@...> wrote:

              > > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows
              > virtual machine, you
              > > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware
              > programs - AdAware and
              > > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and
              > I've had few
              > > problems with either of them.
              > >
              > This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual
              > machine to connect to
              > the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the
              > overhead of these
              > programs in my virtual machines.
              >
              > Since you're talking about using WIndows in
              > emulation, you may be able
              > to avoid doing this.
              >
              > Just a thought.
              >
              > Kevin

            • joseph.strong94
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2008
                I run WP office version 12 on a Macbook using Vmware's Fusion. Fusion
                has a Unity mode that allows PC programs to run from the dock, and in
                windows side by side with MAC programs. You can also cut and paste
                across the two platforms, so it is like there is only one machine. I
                have Windows XP running on the virtual machine. I keep all
                my "changeable files" on the MAC so if Windows get corrupted, or
                attacked by a virus, I can just reload a copy of the virtual machine
                and never miss a beat. Fusion has a snapshot feature for this, and now
                time machine supports backing up virtual machines. I wish Corel would
                get a current MAC version of WP, but this will have to do for now.

                in the Holy Family,
                Joseph Strong