Re: [wpmac] Run WP 9.0 on MacBook?

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2008
      Sheepshaver is not the easiest solution. You'll need Parallels or VM
      Fusionware so that you can run Windows and WP 9 or higher. WP for Mac
      in Sheepshaver can save as WP Win 8, but not 9, although the file
      format is identical.

      Geoff

      >I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
      >
      >I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
      >that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
      >later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
      >Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
      >WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
      >could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
      >appreciated.

    • pjandlar
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2008
        WordPerfect 9.0 or later are windows (PC) versions, not
        Mac versions. (The latest Mac version was 3.5 ages ago.)

        To run WP 9.0 or later, you need to buy Windows emulator
        software, such as Parallels or BootCamp, so that your Mac
        will be able to run Windows software.

        Another option is to do the editing in a Mac program such
        as Word and then use software such as MacLink to convert
        it to Windows WordPerfect, but if there's tricky formatting, it
        might get messed up.

        PJ

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

        > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
        >
        > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
        > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
        > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
        > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
        > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
        > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
        > appreciated.

      • Diane Mettam
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2008
          I've learned from experience you must install a
          partition program. I used Parallels, and am happy
          with it. Then you must install Windows. I tried
          installing Windows 2000, a very stable version of
          Windows, because Parallels said it was supported. I
          never got a full screen, nor was I able to install or
          run software. So I installed Windows XP, and
          everything works fine.

          Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual
          machine, you must also install antivirus and
          anti-spyware programs - AdAware and AVG Antivirus are
          both free software programs, and I've had few problems
          with either of them.

          Now you can install WordPerfect. I've done so, plus a
          few other programs I need that don't have Mac
          versions, and they run pretty well. You will, of
          course, have the usual bug problems with Windows
          itself, which is why I bought a Mac in the first
          place, but we can hope that the market will comprehend
          the number of Windows users running to Mac and start
          to offer us their programs in Mac versions. Hope this
          helps! Blessings - Diane

          --- "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

          > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a
          > predicament.
          >
          > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the
          > only problem is
          > that the publishing house insists upon using
          > WordPerfect 9.0 or
          > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run
          > on Mac OS X.
          > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this
          > version of
          > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other
          > programs that
          > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would
          > be most
          > appreciated.

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2008
            You will need to run Windows on your Mac and you will need to
            run WordPerfect for Windows in the copy of Windows that you
            run on your Mac. There are various ways to do this. A good survey
            is here:

            http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

            SheepShaver has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, and
            you will not find any relevant information in this group. Web
            searches on "Windows on Mac" or similar terms will produce
            the information you need.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

            > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
            >
            > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
            > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
            > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
            > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
            > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
            > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
            > appreciated.

          • Kevin Lepard
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2008
              > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual machine, you
              > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware programs - AdAware and
              > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and I've had few
              > problems with either of them.

              This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual machine to connect to
              the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the overhead of these
              programs in my virtual machines.

              Since you're talking about using WIndows in emulation, you may be able
              to avoid doing this.

              Just a thought.

              Kevin
            • Diane Mettam
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2008
                There is software I need to run that updates itself,
                like my AV and spyware software, as well as a photo
                management program that I sell as a consultant.
                Windows registration must be done online as well. So
                I think I'm stuck.

                It's fascinating to have Windows crash while Tiger
                purrs along smoothly!

                Diane
                --- Kevin Lepard <kolepard001@...> wrote:

                > > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows
                > virtual machine, you
                > > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware
                > programs - AdAware and
                > > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and
                > I've had few
                > > problems with either of them.
                > >
                > This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual
                > machine to connect to
                > the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the
                > overhead of these
                > programs in my virtual machines.
                >
                > Since you're talking about using WIndows in
                > emulation, you may be able
                > to avoid doing this.
                >
                > Just a thought.
                >
                > Kevin

              • joseph.strong94
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2008
                  I run WP office version 12 on a Macbook using Vmware's Fusion. Fusion
                  has a Unity mode that allows PC programs to run from the dock, and in
                  windows side by side with MAC programs. You can also cut and paste
                  across the two platforms, so it is like there is only one machine. I
                  have Windows XP running on the virtual machine. I keep all
                  my "changeable files" on the MAC so if Windows get corrupted, or
                  attacked by a virus, I can just reload a copy of the virtual machine
                  and never miss a beat. Fusion has a snapshot feature for this, and now
                  time machine supports backing up virtual machines. I wish Corel would
                  get a current MAC version of WP, but this will have to do for now.

                  in the Holy Family,
                  Joseph Strong