Re: Run WP 9.0 on MacBook?

  • thomasbriant
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2008
      1. Sheepshaver only runs Wordperfect 3.x for the Mac, a
      Classic Mac OS program.

      2. If you want to run WordPerfect 9.0 on up, you'll need
      to install a program such as Parallels or VM Fusion to
      create a virtual Windows machine on your Mac AND a
      copy of Windows XP or Vista as the operating system.
      Then you can install WordPerfect 9.0 to 12.x

      3. I run WordPerfect 11 on my MacBook using Parallels
      and Windows XP. Works just fine.

      4. I have to tell you that Crossover Office, which will run
      some Windows programs without installing the Wndows
      operating system, DOES NOT WORK WITH WORDPERFECT for
      Windows. I know, I've tried it with WP Office 2000 and
      Word Perfect Office 11. No luck.

      5. You'll need to have at least 2 GB of memory, 1 Gb for
      OS X and 1 Gb for Windows XP. Both are memory hungry

      6. For more information, I would get to a bookstore and
      buy the June 2008 issue of MacWorld, which features an
      article "Best of Both Worlds" about the options for running
      Windows on a Mac.

      Tom Briant
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier"

      Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2008
        Sheepshaver is not the easiest solution. You'll need Parallels or VM
        Fusionware so that you can run Windows and WP 9 or higher. WP for Mac
        in Sheepshaver can save as WP Win 8, but not 9, although the file
        format is identical.

        Geoff

        >I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
        >
        >I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
        >that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
        >later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
        >Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
        >WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
        >could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
        >appreciated.

      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 11, 2008
          WordPerfect 9.0 or later are windows (PC) versions, not
          Mac versions. (The latest Mac version was 3.5 ages ago.)

          To run WP 9.0 or later, you need to buy Windows emulator
          software, such as Parallels or BootCamp, so that your Mac
          will be able to run Windows software.

          Another option is to do the editing in a Mac program such
          as Word and then use software such as MacLink to convert
          it to Windows WordPerfect, but if there's tricky formatting, it
          might get messed up.

          PJ

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

          > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
          >
          > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
          > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
          > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
          > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
          > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
          > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
          > appreciated.

        • Diane Mettam
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2008
            I've learned from experience you must install a
            partition program. I used Parallels, and am happy
            with it. Then you must install Windows. I tried
            installing Windows 2000, a very stable version of
            Windows, because Parallels said it was supported. I
            never got a full screen, nor was I able to install or
            run software. So I installed Windows XP, and
            everything works fine.

            Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual
            machine, you must also install antivirus and
            anti-spyware programs - AdAware and AVG Antivirus are
            both free software programs, and I've had few problems
            with either of them.

            Now you can install WordPerfect. I've done so, plus a
            few other programs I need that don't have Mac
            versions, and they run pretty well. You will, of
            course, have the usual bug problems with Windows
            itself, which is why I bought a Mac in the first
            place, but we can hope that the market will comprehend
            the number of Windows users running to Mac and start
            to offer us their programs in Mac versions. Hope this
            helps! Blessings - Diane

            --- "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

            > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a
            > predicament.
            >
            > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the
            > only problem is
            > that the publishing house insists upon using
            > WordPerfect 9.0 or
            > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run
            > on Mac OS X.
            > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this
            > version of
            > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other
            > programs that
            > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would
            > be most
            > appreciated.

          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2008
              You will need to run Windows on your Mac and you will need to
              run WordPerfect for Windows in the copy of Windows that you
              run on your Mac. There are various ways to do this. A good survey
              is here:

              http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

              SheepShaver has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, and
              you will not find any relevant information in this group. Web
              searches on "Windows on Mac" or similar terms will produce
              the information you need.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

              > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
              >
              > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
              > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
              > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
              > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
              > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
              > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
              > appreciated.

            • Kevin Lepard
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2008
                > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual machine, you
                > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware programs - AdAware and
                > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and I've had few
                > problems with either of them.

                This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual machine to connect to
                the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the overhead of these
                programs in my virtual machines.

                Since you're talking about using WIndows in emulation, you may be able
                to avoid doing this.

                Just a thought.

                Kevin
              • Diane Mettam
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2008
                  There is software I need to run that updates itself,
                  like my AV and spyware software, as well as a photo
                  management program that I sell as a consultant.
                  Windows registration must be done online as well. So
                  I think I'm stuck.

                  It's fascinating to have Windows crash while Tiger
                  purrs along smoothly!

                  Diane
                  --- Kevin Lepard <kolepard001@...> wrote:

                  > > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows
                  > virtual machine, you
                  > > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware
                  > programs - AdAware and
                  > > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and
                  > I've had few
                  > > problems with either of them.
                  > >
                  > This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual
                  > machine to connect to
                  > the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the
                  > overhead of these
                  > programs in my virtual machines.
                  >
                  > Since you're talking about using WIndows in
                  > emulation, you may be able
                  > to avoid doing this.
                  >
                  > Just a thought.
                  >
                  > Kevin

                • joseph.strong94
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17, 2008
                    I run WP office version 12 on a Macbook using Vmware's Fusion. Fusion
                    has a Unity mode that allows PC programs to run from the dock, and in
                    windows side by side with MAC programs. You can also cut and paste
                    across the two platforms, so it is like there is only one machine. I
                    have Windows XP running on the virtual machine. I keep all
                    my "changeable files" on the MAC so if Windows get corrupted, or
                    attacked by a virus, I can just reload a copy of the virtual machine
                    and never miss a beat. Fusion has a snapshot feature for this, and now
                    time machine supports backing up virtual machines. I wish Corel would
                    get a current MAC version of WP, but this will have to do for now.

                    in the Holy Family,
                    Joseph Strong