Run WP 9.0 on MacBook?

  • jordan.callier
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11 1:18 PM
      I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.

      I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
      that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
      later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
      Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
      WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
      could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
      appreciated.
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11 2:52 PM
        1. Sheepshaver only runs Wordperfect 3.x for the Mac, a
        Classic Mac OS program.

        2. If you want to run WordPerfect 9.0 on up, you'll need
        to install a program such as Parallels or VM Fusion to
        create a virtual Windows machine on your Mac AND a
        copy of Windows XP or Vista as the operating system.
        Then you can install WordPerfect 9.0 to 12.x

        3. I run WordPerfect 11 on my MacBook using Parallels
        and Windows XP. Works just fine.

        4. I have to tell you that Crossover Office, which will run
        some Windows programs without installing the Wndows
        operating system, DOES NOT WORK WITH WORDPERFECT for
        Windows. I know, I've tried it with WP Office 2000 and
        Word Perfect Office 11. No luck.

        5. You'll need to have at least 2 GB of memory, 1 Gb for
        OS X and 1 Gb for Windows XP. Both are memory hungry

        6. For more information, I would get to a bookstore and
        buy the June 2008 issue of MacWorld, which features an
        article "Best of Both Worlds" about the options for running
        Windows on a Mac.

        Tom Briant
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier"

        Message 3 of 9 , May 11 2:54 PM
          Sheepshaver is not the easiest solution. You'll need Parallels or VM
          Fusionware so that you can run Windows and WP 9 or higher. WP for Mac
          in Sheepshaver can save as WP Win 8, but not 9, although the file
          format is identical.

          Geoff

          >I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
          >
          >I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
          >that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
          >later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
          >Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
          >WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
          >could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
          >appreciated.

        • pjandlar
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 3:48 PM
            WordPerfect 9.0 or later are windows (PC) versions, not
            Mac versions. (The latest Mac version was 3.5 ages ago.)

            To run WP 9.0 or later, you need to buy Windows emulator
            software, such as Parallels or BootCamp, so that your Mac
            will be able to run Windows software.

            Another option is to do the editing in a Mac program such
            as Word and then use software such as MacLink to convert
            it to Windows WordPerfect, but if there's tricky formatting, it
            might get messed up.

            PJ

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

            > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
            >
            > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
            > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
            > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
            > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
            > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
            > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
            > appreciated.

          • Diane Mettam
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11 5:38 PM
              I've learned from experience you must install a
              partition program. I used Parallels, and am happy
              with it. Then you must install Windows. I tried
              installing Windows 2000, a very stable version of
              Windows, because Parallels said it was supported. I
              never got a full screen, nor was I able to install or
              run software. So I installed Windows XP, and
              everything works fine.

              Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual
              machine, you must also install antivirus and
              anti-spyware programs - AdAware and AVG Antivirus are
              both free software programs, and I've had few problems
              with either of them.

              Now you can install WordPerfect. I've done so, plus a
              few other programs I need that don't have Mac
              versions, and they run pretty well. You will, of
              course, have the usual bug problems with Windows
              itself, which is why I bought a Mac in the first
              place, but we can hope that the market will comprehend
              the number of Windows users running to Mac and start
              to offer us their programs in Mac versions. Hope this
              helps! Blessings - Diane

              --- "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

              > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a
              > predicament.
              >
              > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the
              > only problem is
              > that the publishing house insists upon using
              > WordPerfect 9.0 or
              > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run
              > on Mac OS X.
              > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this
              > version of
              > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other
              > programs that
              > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would
              > be most
              > appreciated.

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11 6:45 PM
                You will need to run Windows on your Mac and you will need to
                run WordPerfect for Windows in the copy of Windows that you
                run on your Mac. There are various ways to do this. A good survey
                is here:

                http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

                SheepShaver has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, and
                you will not find any relevant information in this group. Web
                searches on "Windows on Mac" or similar terms will produce
                the information you need.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jordan.callier" <jordan.callier@...> wrote:

                > I am not very computer savvy, so I find myself in a predicament.
                >
                > I am assisting my professor finalize a book, the only problem is
                > that the publishing house insists upon using WordPerfect 9.0 or
                > later. I only use an Intel-based MacBook Pro, run on Mac OS X.
                > Does this sheepshaver program include or run this version of
                > WordPerfect 9.0? If not, are there any other programs that
                > could do this for a mac? Any help or insight would be most
                > appreciated.

              • Kevin Lepard
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12 7:13 AM
                  > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows virtual machine, you
                  > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware programs - AdAware and
                  > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and I've had few
                  > problems with either of them.

                  This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual machine to connect to
                  the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the overhead of these
                  programs in my virtual machines.

                  Since you're talking about using WIndows in emulation, you may be able
                  to avoid doing this.

                  Just a thought.

                  Kevin
                • Diane Mettam
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12 1:20 PM
                    There is software I need to run that updates itself,
                    like my AV and spyware software, as well as a photo
                    management program that I sell as a consultant.
                    Windows registration must be done online as well. So
                    I think I'm stuck.

                    It's fascinating to have Windows crash while Tiger
                    purrs along smoothly!

                    Diane
                    --- Kevin Lepard <kolepard001@...> wrote:

                    > > Because one part of your Mac now is a Windows
                    > virtual machine, you
                    > > must also install antivirus and anti-spyware
                    > programs - AdAware and
                    > > AVG Antivirus are both free software programs, and
                    > I've had few
                    > > problems with either of them.
                    > >
                    > This is true IF you allow your Windows virtual
                    > machine to connect to
                    > the internet. Personally, I do not, so avoid the
                    > overhead of these
                    > programs in my virtual machines.
                    >
                    > Since you're talking about using WIndows in
                    > emulation, you may be able
                    > to avoid doing this.
                    >
                    > Just a thought.
                    >
                    > Kevin

                  • joseph.strong94
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 17 2:10 PM
                      I run WP office version 12 on a Macbook using Vmware's Fusion. Fusion
                      has a Unity mode that allows PC programs to run from the dock, and in
                      windows side by side with MAC programs. You can also cut and paste
                      across the two platforms, so it is like there is only one machine. I
                      have Windows XP running on the virtual machine. I keep all
                      my "changeable files" on the MAC so if Windows get corrupted, or
                      attacked by a virus, I can just reload a copy of the virtual machine
                      and never miss a beat. Fusion has a snapshot feature for this, and now
                      time machine supports backing up virtual machines. I wish Corel would
                      get a current MAC version of WP, but this will have to do for now.

                      in the Holy Family,
                      Joseph Strong