Re: [wpmac] How to Add UNIX HD to SheepShaver volume

  • William Veder
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10 1:13 PM
      Hi,

      Thanks to Tom Briant's simple solution, toggling between the two OS
      presents no more problems, at least not on my new MacBook.
      The work done by Christian Bauer, Gwenolé Beauchesne and John
      Rethorst deserves the heartfelt thanks of the academic community of
      philologists (the dinosaurs that see no point in dissociating
      linguistics from literary studies). In the late 1980's and early
      90's, before academic management all over the world was lured into
      cutting the Mac, much valuable software was developed for Mac OS 7.5
      through 9.1, to name but two examples: Peter Robinson's (Oxford U)
      "Collate" and Evan Antworth's (Summer Institute of Linguistics)
      "Conc". None of that software was updated to OS X, perhaps because
      academic management had found new gratification in cutting the
      philology. Simple means of systematically comparing large numbers of
      manuscripts of the same text and recording their variation (Collate)
      or making concordances and indexes of forms of texts (Conc) in any
      language and any script seemed to be doomed.
      NB. WordPerfect never got a foothold in philology (so maybe I better
      leave this discussion group); NisusWriter was the preferred tool of
      the trade. That, too, works well under SheepShaver, but most of us
      have translated their heritage files into Micros**tWord by now.

      Cheers! William Veder

      William R. Veder
      713 Pintail St.
      Deerfield, IL 60015
      +1 (847) 279-8263
      Please, reply to: william@...

      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 2:39 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, William Veder <veder@...> wrote:

        > The work done by Christian Bauer, Gwenolé Beauchesne and John
        > Rethorst deserves the heartfelt thanks of the academic community of
        > philologists

        Bauer's and Beauchesne's work is orders of magnitude beyond
        anything I've done, but thank you anyway.

        > Simple means of systematically comparing large numbers of
        > manuscripts of the same text and recording their variation (Collate)
        > or making concordances and indexes of forms of texts (Conc) in any
        > language and any script

        WordPerfect has a very powerful macro language (900 commands
        and objects) and a full Applescript object model, so add-on programs
        can be written for WP that will do quite a bit. Give me an
        operational description of what you need, and I'll see what I can do.

        John R.
      • William R. Veder
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11 5:15 PM
          Dear John,

          Thanks to you and the others, both Collate and Conc have a new lease
          on life. No need to worry about programming. Incidentally, Altsys
          Fontographer 4.1, which is rather capricious under OS 9.2.2, seems to
          work fine under SS.

          Thanks again: William

          William R. Veder
          713 Pintail St.
          Deerfield, IL 60015
          +1 (847) 279-8263
          Please, reply to: william@...

        • Patricia S. Rudden
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11 7:20 PM
            I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
            piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
            Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that happen
            on an Intel machine?

            BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
            Pat Rudden
            New York City

            Message 5 of 10 , May 11 7:45 PM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden" <huntergirl@...> wrote:

              > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.

              Isn't it? It's just as good as in Classic, and is better in Classic than
              on earlier Macs.

              SS is actually _better_ than Classic in some ways. Macro freak that I
              am, I had about 100 Quickeys shortcuts, none of which would run
              in Classic but all of which run in SS.

              SS also conforms to the Spaces feature in Leopard, and the predecessor
              Escapade in Panther and Tiger. SS is a first-class OSX application, as
              it were, while Classic is not.

              There's also speed. WP is faster than it's ever been before.

              John R.
            • drderbes
              Message 6 of 10 , May 11 7:52 PM
                <huntergirl@...> wrote:

                > I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
                > piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
                > Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
                > happen on an Intel machine?
                >
                > BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
                > Pat Rudden
                > New York City

                This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.

                The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
                SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
                Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
                http://www.nisus.com/.

                There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
                just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?

                David Derbes
                U of Chicago Laboratory Schools
              • Patricia S. Rudden
                Message 7 of 10 , May 11 7:57 PM
                  Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
                  download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
                  curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
                  them to start.

                  PR

                  On May 11, 2008, at 10:52 PM, drderbes wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia S. Rudden"
                  > <huntergirl@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I haven't tried running either of these, but this discussion has
                  >> piqued my interest. How does one get another program to run in SS?
                  >> Can Nisus Compact run in SS, and if so, how does one make that
                  >> happen on an Intel machine?
                  >>
                  >> BTW, WP in SS is wonderful.
                  >> Pat Rudden
                  >> New York City
                  >>>

                  > This is the second post I've seen asking about Nisus.
                  >
                  > The only Nisus programs I know about are all Mac OS X based, now, so
                  > SheepShaver should not come into it. These are the word processors
                  > Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro; see the site
                  > http://www.nisus.com/.
                  >
                  > There were old Nisus word processor programs for OS 9, but why not
                  > just go with the very nice OS X versions available today?
                  >
                  > David Derbes
                  > U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 12 7:07 AM
                    <huntergirl@...> wrote:

                    > Short answer: I already have Nisus Compact (which is a free
                    > download), and the OSX versions involve money. Another reason: I'm
                    > curious about how many OS 9 programs can happen in SS and how to get
                    > them to start.
                    >
                    > PR

                    I imagine someone has compiled a list of classic programs that do or do
                    not work under Sheepshaver, but the few I've tried (under the version
                    of the OS that comes with John's install -- I still to have unearth my
                    install disks for anything more recent) work just fine. Just mount the
                    sheepshaver disk image in OS X, drag the requisite file(s) and folder
                    (s) to where you want them, and unmount it before launching SS. I've
                    even been able to run them with the classic app living in the Unix
                    disk/folder, but desktop associations (file type to app) don't work
                    well in that situation.

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN