Repairing OS 9 Permissions on OSX

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2008
      A few days ago I ran Onyx, a very nice and free maintenance
      utility for OSX (link in the Links section here), on my PPC Mac,
      and it told me that OS 9 permissions needed repair. I did so
      using Disk Utility (File > Fix OS 9 Permissions).

      I have no clear idea what OS 9 Permissions could be, given
      that AFAIK they did not exist in OS 9, but I found this:

      http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh17.html

      which says:

      > You can also repair permissions for Mac OS 9 if you are
      > having problems with using applications in the Classic
      > environment. Select the disk and choose File > Fix OS 9
      > Permissions.

      I was not having problems, but am glad Onyx made the
      notification anyway. I think I will run this every month
      along with other maintenance.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2008

        > I did so
        > using Disk Utility (File > Fix OS 9 Permissions).

        N.B. Run this from an administrative account. Otherwise it will
        ask you for an administrator password before fixing every
        permission, and there appear to be many of them.

        John R.
      • RBRoufberg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
          In a message dated 4/21/08 11:21:26 PM, jrethorst@... writes:

          > > I did so
          > > using Disk Utility (File > Fix OS 9 Permissions).
          >
          > N.B. Run this from an administrative account. Otherwise it will
          > ask you for an administrator password before fixing every
          > permission, and there appear to be many of them.

          What is a "permission?" Who gives whom a permission to do what? I am the
          sole user of my computer.

          Ruth R.

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2008
            Do this search on Google:

            "os x" permissions

            and the first item that appears will explain it.