parallels and wp 5.1

  • andrewglacroix
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2008
      Greetings. I have just installed parallels on my imac, running lepoard
      10.5. it looks like it will work famously - with a glitch - the screen
      size of the wp 5.1 is tiny, and there are no obvious ways to make it
      bigger. As is, it looks unworkable.

      Has anyone had experience with this or have ideas?

      Regards,

      Andrew
    • Diane Mettam
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2008
        Which version of Windows are you running?

        I installed Parallels on my MacBook OSX 10.4 (Tiger),
        and then installed Windows 2000. Parallels stated it
        would run W2K, but I had the same problem - a very
        small window, so small the Start button and task bar
        were not visible, and a minimal screen resolution with
        only 16 colors.

        I removed both Windows and Parallels, then
        re-installed Parallels with
        Windows XP and everything works great. You might give
        this a try.

        Blessings - Diane

        --- andrewglacroix <andrewglacroix@...> wrote:

        > Greetings. I have just installed parallels on my
        > imac, running lepoard
        > 10.5. it looks like it will work famously - with a
        > glitch - the screen
        > size of the wp 5.1 is tiny, and there are no obvious
        > ways to make it
        > bigger. As is, it looks unworkable.
        >
        > Has anyone had experience with this or have ideas?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Andrew

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
          If you are running it under Windows, use Alt-Space to open the
          System menu (the icon in the upper-left of the window), find
          the tab with the font setting, and change the size of the font.

          Also, see:

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/textmode.html#textfont

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
            Another thought - check your display settings under
            Parallels. They can affect the way your Windows
            screen appears.

            Second, did you check form compatibility between
            Windows XP and WordPerfect 5.1 DOS? Microsoft has a
            bad habit of not allowing backwards compatibility
            between Windows and DOS programs.

            Just a thought - Diane

            --- Edward Mendelson <emendelson@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
              Just to clarify:

              When running WPDOS under Parallels or VMware, if you are
              running it under Windows, then WPDOS runs in one of two
              ways:

              1. Fullscreen mode. In Parallels or VMware, this mode will
              ALWAYS appear in a tiny window. There is NO way to change
              this.

              2. Windowed mode (WPDOS with a Windows "menu bar" at
              the top). You can change the font size by using the method
              below, and you change it even more flexibly running Tame
              from www.tamedos.com.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                > Just to clarify:
                >
                > When running WPDOS under Parallels or VMware, if you are
                > running it under Windows, then WPDOS runs in one of two
                > ways:
                >
                > 1. Fullscreen mode. In Parallels or VMware, this mode will
                > ALWAYS appear in a tiny window. There is NO way to change
                > this.
                >
                > 2. Windowed mode (WPDOS with a Windows "menu bar" at
                > the top). You can change the font size by using the method
                > below, and you change it even more flexibly running Tame
                > from www.tamedos.com.

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@> wrote:
                > >
                > > If you are running it under Windows, use Alt-Space to open the
                > > System menu (the icon in the upper-left of the window), find
                > > the tab with the font setting, and change the size of the font.

                Edward - a question for you. can i run wpdos with a windows
                "menu bar" under parallels?

                if not, how do I do it?

                best regards,

                Andrew
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 23, 2008
                  Press Alt-Enter when WPDOS is active. Under Windows,
                  that switches between full-screen and windowed mode
                  - just as it does in real Windows. When in windowed
                  mode, click on the upper-left icon on the WP window
                  and change the settings so that WP remains in windowed
                  mode in the future.