Re: HELP...

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
      Also, many Word files will open in TextEdit when you double-click on them.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dcalvert100" <dcalvert100@...> wrote:

      > Please can someone tell me how to open a WORD, WORD PERFECT and PDF
      > document on a MAC? New user...thanks.

    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
        dcalvert100 wrote:

        >Please can someone tell me how to open a Word, Word Perfect and PDF
        >document on a Mac? New user...thanks.

        You can open a PDF file using either Preview (an Apple program that
        should already be installed on your Mac, in the Applications folder)
        or Adobe Reader (downloadable from <http://www.adobe.com>, or the
        full version of Adobe Acrobat, or GraphicConverter
        <http://www.lemkesoft.de>.

        You can open a Word document using either Apple's Pages program, part
        of iWork, available for Apple, or NeoOffice
        <http://www.neooffice.org>, or get MacLinkPlus
        <http://www.dataviz.com>, translate the document to a WordPerfect Mac
        file, and install WordPerfect and SheepShaver, available via the web
        page associated with this group.

        You can open a WordPerfect document using either NeoOffice
        <http://www.neooffice.org>, or or get MacLinkPlus
        <http://www.dataviz.com>, translate the document to a WordPerfect Mac
        file, and install WordPerfect and SheepShaver, available via the web
        page associated with this group, or use MLP to translate the file
        into a Pages file, and open with Pages.

        You could also use MLP to translate it into a NisusWriter file, and
        install Nisus and open it with that program. Or get MLP and
        MarinerWrite.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

          > dcalvert100 wrote:
          >
          > >Please can someone tell me how to open a Word, Word Perfect and PDF
          > >document on a Mac? New user...thanks.

          The short version of the answer is: double-click on the document and see
          what OS X does with it. It may well open it.
        • repeating_decimal
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

            > dcalvert100 wrote:
            >
            > >Please can someone tell me how to open a Word, Word Perfect and PDF
            > >document on a Mac? New user...thanks.
            >
            > You can open a PDF file using either Preview (an Apple program that
            > should already be installed on your Mac, in the Applications folder)
            > or Adobe Reader (downloadable from <http://www.adobe.com>, or the
            > full version of Adobe Acrobat, or GraphicConverter
            > <http://www.lemkesoft.de>.
            >
            > You can open a Word document using either Apple's Pages program, part
            > of iWork, available for Apple, or NeoOffice
            > <http://www.neooffice.org>, or get MacLinkPlus
            > <http://www.dataviz.com>, translate the document to a WordPerfect Mac
            > file, and install WordPerfect and SheepShaver, available via the web
            > page associated with this group.
            >
            > You can open a WordPerfect document using either NeoOffice
            > <http://www.neooffice.org>, or or get MacLinkPlus
            > <http://www.dataviz.com>, translate the document to a WordPerfect Mac
            > file, and install WordPerfect and SheepShaver, available via the web
            > page associated with this group, or use MLP to translate the file
            > into a Pages file, and open with Pages.
            >
            > You could also use MLP to translate it into a NisusWriter file, and
            > install Nisus and open it with that program. Or get MLP and
            > MarinerWrite.

            This turned out to be a very useful post for me.

            I have an important file, which I believe to be in a version of
            WordPerfect. I think that the attached extension, AXF, was a
            personal identification rather than a file type description.
            NeoOffice opened it up with no comment or complaint. I was
            able to save the file in a number of formats including MS
            Word, and RTF. There was no option to save as a WordPerfect
            file

            I did lose paragraph numbers. Although annoying, I am
            grateful to for what I got. Is therer a way to restore these
            numbers? Remnants appear as a period with blank spaces
            surrounding them.

            I will continue trying to use ƟheepShaver so as to be able to
            run WordPerfect directly.