Free Word Processors (Was Re: [wpmac] new to list)

  • jpwav716
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2008
      Wordperfect is available on this site.
      Do not go to files. Instead go to links.
      Click on the folder: SheepShaver and Basilisk
      In that folder, all the way down at the bottom is a link to
      SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1

      I am told we do not post the direct link to avoid bots
      spamming the host server.

      This is assuming you have a newer mac and need to run
      WordPerfect in an older operating system. It will not run
      on OSX natively. However it does run in OS9 and below
      natively. In that case, download v 3.5e at one of the other
      links on the links page.

      I did a search for "Free Mac word processors" on Yahoo
      and this came up. http://tinyurl.com/32zhlz

      Many people are enamored of Neo Office, which is free,
      open source and multi-platform. It also opens Word files.
      A nominal donation to the developers who ported
      OpenOffice.org to the mac would be helpful.
      http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2008
        NeoOffice is great. The donation is not at all required, just want to make
        that clear to everyone.

        There's also Bean, which is lightweight, fast, and very Mac-like. -
        http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

        Then there's AbiWord, which is cross-platform. http://www.abiword.com/

        There's also the included TextEdit, which comes as a part of OS X.

        There's another one called TextWrangler, made by the people who do BBEdit,
        but it's mostly a text editor.
        http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

        ThinkFree Desktop Office is also free, and includes a word processor,
        presentation program, and spreadsheet (much like NeoOffice does.) To get
        ThinkFree Office Desktop for Mac OS X - you need to send an email asking for
        the link, as described here: http://product.thinkfree.com/products/get/

        > *ThinkFree Desktop 3 for Mac OS X(10.4 or later) * Version 3.2.0785.07 Notice:
        > Please contact support@...<../mail?view=cm&tf=0&ui=1&to=support@...>This
        > e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript
        > enabled to view it to obtain either a trial or the full version of the
        > Mac OS installation file. Also include what type of OS you are running on
        > your Mac.

        And, of course, there are the dozens of online word processors springing up
        all the time. Google Docs, Zoho, gOffice, ThinkFree (they have the download
        and the online version).

        There's no reason for anyone to be without a word processor these days.
        Heck, if you have access to the Internet, even without your own computer -
        you can have your own office suite and storage - and all for free.

        --
        - Chad Smith
        http://www.chadwsmith.com/

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008
          Ok so if you have tiger, then what else do you need to do to make wp 3.5 run?

          I've read here that you need to emulate an older operating system. Is that emulator contained in the zip files that you talk about below?

          Do I have to go to somewhere else to get the emulator?

          Thanks
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          and this came up. http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/32zhlz> com/32zhlz

          http://www.neooffic <http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php> e.org/neojava/en/index.php

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, mdcthen@... wrote:

            > Ok so if you have tiger, then what else do you need to do
            > to make wp 3.5 run?

            Please read the Description section of the WPMac Yahoo group
            home page, especially the third paragraph's reference to the
            freely downloadable PDF document that answers your question
            in detail.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

              > Wordperfect is available on this site.
              > Do not go to files. Instead go to links.
              > Click on the folder: SheepShaver and Basilisk
              > In that folder, all the way down at the bottom is a link to
              > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1

              Do this if you have an Intel Mac or are running the Leopard
              OS, or plan to do either in the near future. Otherwise, WP
              at one tenth the download size is available in Links here, at
              any of the "Download site for v. 3.5e" links.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Smith" <chad78@...> wrote:

                > NeoOffice…Bean…AbiWord…TextEdit…TextWrangler…ThinkFree
                > Desktop Office… And, of course, there are the dozens of online
                > word processors springing up all the time. Google Docs, Zoho,
                > gOffice, ThinkFree (they have the download and the online version).

                Don't forget Lotus Symphony, due for the Mac this summer.