Spotlight not indexing WP files

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
      I'm running Tiger on a Dual G-5. I've run the terminal script
      instructing Spotlight to index WP files more on more than one
      occasion, but Spotlight searches still do not turn up any WP docs.
      Since all my case documents, research, and historical files are in
      WP, this needs a solution.

      I should mention that most of these files are under kept within
      another "user's" home folder, but I have full access to all, I don't
      see why that would make a difference.

      I've thought about waiting until the week end and then reindexing the
      entire hard drive from scratch. Does anyone have some trouble
      shooting suggestions for me?

      Thanks!
      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
        Randall

        What version of Tiger? 10.4.11? Something happened in 4.11 that
        changed spotlight for WP because the old problem of temp files
        updating rather than the original file reappeared. I know that
        doesn't solve your problem, but it may indicate where it lies.

        Geoff

        >I'm running Tiger on a Dual G-5. I've run the terminal script
        >instructing Spotlight to index WP files more on more than one
        >occasion, but Spotlight searches still do not turn up any WP docs.
        >Since all my case documents, research, and historical files are in
        >WP, this needs a solution.
        >
        >I should mention that most of these files are under kept within
        >another "user's" home folder, but I have full access to all, I don't
        >see why that would make a difference.
        >
        >I've thought about waiting until the week end and then reindexing the
        >entire hard drive from scratch. Does anyone have some trouble
        >shooting suggestions for me?
        >
        >Thanks!
        >--
        >/S/ Randall
        >
        > mailto:rwilson@...
        >
        >Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

      • John Rehwinkel
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
          > I'm running Tiger on a Dual G-5. I've run the terminal script
          > instructing Spotlight to index WP files more on more than one
          > occasion, but Spotlight searches still do not turn up any WP docs.

          There are two possibilities here. One is that Spotlight doesn't
          index all directories by default. You can explicitly add directories
          by modifying its config files as shown here (you can get some
          control with Spotlight preferences, but this lets you specify
          anything you like):

          http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/
          307008223731

          The other one is that Spotlight uses "importers" to index files, and
          there are different importers for different file types (PDF, text, plists,
          whatever). I doubt there is an importer for WP files. You can find
          information on what an importer produces here:

          http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/
          MDImporters/Concepts/SchemaRef.html

          however, since I'm assuming you don't wish to write your own
          importer, you can use the techniques mentioned in the first link
          to tell Spotlight to index WP files as if they were text files.
          Imperfect, as it won't know to give special attention to titles and
          headings, but it should at least let you search by document contents.

          -- John
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

            > I doubt there is an importer for WP files.

            There most certainly is, done by Gero Herrmann of this group,
            who took enough time off from his PhD in physics not only to
            write it, but to write the most advanced document change/
            tracking utility I've ever seen. Both these are free downloads
            in the Files section here.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <shieldwolf@...> wrote:

              > I'm running Tiger on a Dual G-5. I've run the terminal script
              > instructing Spotlight to index WP files more on more than one
              > occasion, but Spotlight searches still do not turn up any WP docs.
              >
              > I should mention that most of these files are under kept within
              > another "user's" home folder, but I have full access to all, I don't
              > see why that would make a difference.

              Did Spotlight ever index the WP files in the other user's folder?

              Is the WP importer file ("WordPerfect.mdimporter") in a user
              library folder? It should be in the root library folder, i.e.
              /Library/Spotlight/.

              Could the importer file be corrupted? Try downloading a new
              copy?

              Could your Spotlight index be corrupted? I understand this
              happens, and I reindex my entire startup disk every three months
              or so as maintenance. The easiest way to do that is to go to
              the Spotlight prefpane, to Privacy, and drag your startup disk's
              icon into the Do Not Index field. Then delete it from that field.
              This will cause reindexing, which can take a while, so the
              weekend might be a good idea.

              John R.
            • Daly Jessup
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
                >--- In
                ><mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
                >John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I doubt there is an importer for WP files.
                >
                >There most certainly is, done by Gero Herrmann of this group,
                >who took enough time off from his PhD in physics not only to
                >write it, but to write the most advanced document change/
                >tracking utility I've ever seen. Both these are free downloads
                >in the Files section here.

                What is it called, and where you one access it?

                Daly
                ----------------------
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <daly@...> wrote:

                  > >--- In
                  > ><mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
                  > >John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> I doubt there is an importer for WP files.
                  > >
                  > >There most certainly is, done by Gero Herrmann of this group,
                  > >who took enough time off from his PhD in physics not only to
                  > >write it, but to write the most advanced document change/
                  > >tracking utility I've ever seen. Both these are free downloads
                  > >in the Files section here.
                  >
                  > What is it called, and where you one access it?

                  "Spotlight Plug-in (Importer) 1.0.2.dmg", free in the Files section
                  here. Also at www.apple.com.

                  John R.
                • Daly Jessup
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 18, 2008
                    >--- In
                    ><mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
                    >Daly Jessup <daly@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> >--- In
                    >> ><mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,

                    >> >There most certainly is, done by Gero Herrmann of this group,
                    >> >who took enough time off from his PhD in physics not only to
                    >> >write it, but to write the most advanced document change/
                    >> >tracking utility I've ever seen. Both these are free downloads
                    >> >in the Files section here.
                    >>
                    >> What is it called, and where you one access it?
                    >
                    >"Spotlight Plug-in (Importer) 1.0.2.dmg", free in the Files section
                    >here. Also at www.apple.com.

                    Darn. On my computer, anyway, that link is broken.

                    :-(

                    Daly

                    ----------------------
                    2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 24" screen, OS X 10.4.11,
                    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT video, wired Apple mouse and keyboard.
                    Partition: Mac OS Extend (Journaled)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <daly@...> wrote:

                      > >"Spotlight Plug-in (Importer) 1.0.2.dmg", free in the Files section
                      > >here. Also at www.apple.com.
                      >
                      > Darn. On my computer, anyway, that link is broken.

                      The link is good. If you can't access the Files section through its
                      link on the home page, you just need to join or sign in to the
                      Yahoo group.