Once again: installing fonts in WP under SheepShaver

  • internetherlands
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
      I'm quite happy - after having bought a new 24" iMac - to still
      be able to use WP 3.5e. I have lots of documents and teaching
      materials (I'm a teacher Dutch as a Foreign Language) that I
      want to continue to use. Most of these have Futura as font. It's
      not in the SS-package as some other fonts that I like.
      Theoretically it's a matter of copying between the folder 'fonts'
      in the System folder that I have on a hard disk connected to
      my new iMac and the same folder on the SheepShaver dmg. I
      tried this several times, but always the result is that Disk First
      Aid finds errors in the SS volume and I have to reinstall the
      package again, because very often 'repair' doesn't have effect.
      Would anyone have a suggestion how to proceed to get my
      favorite fonts into SheepShaver?
      TIA,
      Paul Meijer
    • rifetube
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "internetherlands" <paul@...>
        wrote:

        > Would anyone have a suggestion how to proceed to get my
        > favorite fonts into SheepShaver?
        > TIA,
        > Paul Meijer

        Hi Paul,

        There are a number of ways you can install a new font(s) in
        SheepShaver (SS). I've tried them all and they've all worked for me.
        Probably the easiest way is to open your SS volume disk image in
        OSX...make sure that SS is NOT running, and then simply copy your font
        or fonts to the open image. Once you've done that, close the image
        file and drag it to the trash. Then open SS. After SS has started up
        and you're looking at your classic desktop, you should see the font or
        fonts on the SS desktop. Then simply drag and drop the font(s) on top
        of the system ƒ and let the system install the font...you'll need to
        restart SS in order for the new font to be available.

        Alternatively, you can manually install the font(s) by again opening
        up the SS disk image in OSX (SS not running) and open the system ƒ and
        you should now see the fonts ƒ. Then simply copy your fonts to the
        now exposed fonts ƒ. Close everything and drag the mounted SS disk
        image to the trash. You're now ready to start up SS and the new fonts
        will be available.

        You should make every effort to use a new font or font suitcase file
        in order to avoid font corruption which can cause real problems in
        your system. You might also want to try turning off Adobe Type
        Manager (~ATM™) or better yet, move it to the Control Panels
        (disabled) folder and restart SS. I recall from my classic days that
        ATM can cause some very strange things to happen. Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Bill Cheb
      • hnd/general
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008
          Paul Meijer wrote:
          > ... Most of these have Futura as font. It's
          > not in the SS-package as some other fonts that I like.
          > Theoretically it's a matter of copying between the folder 'fonts'
          > in the System folder that I have on a hard disk connected to
          > my new iMac and the same folder on the SheepShaver dmg. I
          > tried this several times, but always the result is that Disk First
          > Aid finds errors in the SS volume and I have to reinstall the
          > package again, because very often 'repair' doesn't have effect.

          It's not clear what would cause this problem, but you could try from OSX
          copying the Futura font suitcase into the shared area (seen by SS as Unix
          volume), starting SS and copying it into the Fonts folder from there. If
          that doesn't work you could try unpacking the suitcase and copying the
          individual fonts... which version of the OS introduced suitcases? I don't
          think that could be it... More likely a problem with the dmg; I'd say rely
          on SS to look after that and don't mess with it from OSX.

          Bye

          Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
        • internetherlands
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "internetherlands" <paul@>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Would anyone have a suggestion how to proceed to get my
            > > favorite fonts into SheepShaver?
            > > TIA,
            > > Paul Meijer
            > >
            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > There are a number of ways you can install a new font(s) in
            > SheepShaver (SS). I've tried them all and they've all worked for me.
            > Probably the easiest way is to open your SS volume disk image in
            > OSX...make sure that SS is NOT running, and then simply copy your font
            > or fonts to the open image. Once you've done that, close the image
            > file and drag it to the trash. Then open SS. After SS has started up
            > and you're looking at your classic desktop, you should see the font or
            > fonts on the SS desktop. Then simply drag and drop the font(s) on top
            > of the system ƒ and let the system install the font...you'll need to
            > restart SS in order for the new font to be available.
            >
            > Alternatively, you can manually install the font(s) by again opening
            > up the SS disk image in OSX (SS not running) and open the system ƒ and
            > you should now see the fonts ƒ. Then simply copy your fonts to the
            > now exposed fonts ƒ. Close everything and drag the mounted SS disk
            > image to the trash. You're now ready to start up SS and the new fonts
            > will be available.
            >
            > You should make every effort to use a new font or font suitcase file
            > in order to avoid font corruption which can cause real problems in
            > your system. You might also want to try turning off Adobe Type
            > Manager (~ATM™) or better yet, move it to the Control Panels
            > (disabled) folder and restart SS. I recall from my classic days that
            > ATM can cause some very strange things to happen. Hope this helps.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bill Cheb

            Thank you, Bill.
            I used your first method, to a certain degree succesfully: I managed
            to get all the fonts into the system folder > fonts folder. I rebooted
            the SS, ATM is not loaded because of lack of memory, to find out
            that DFA found some errors, which could be repaired (though
            sometimes I get the message that the disk is already in use, but
            then a second time the repair is succesfull). WP can be started, I
            can open old files, change them, but as soon as I want to change
            print settings or try to print - all of SS crashes. Is it possible to give
            Adobe Type Manager more memory (how to do that again?) or
            would you have another suggestion to solve this problem?
            Paul Meijer
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hnd/general" <newtownw@...> wrote:

              > It's not clear what would cause this problem, but you could try from OSX
              > copying the Futura font suitcase into the shared area (seen by SS as Unix
              > volume), starting SS and copying it into the Fonts folder from there. If
              > that doesn't work you could try unpacking the suitcase and copying the
              > individual fonts... which version of the OS introduced suitcases? I don't
              > think that could be it... More likely a problem with the dmg; I'd say rely
              > on SS to look after that and don't mess with it from OSX.

              Are these OSX fonts? The datafont filetype is, I think, a new file type
              that the classic OS would not recognize - and which Disk First Aid
              might see as a corrupted file. If they are classic fonts, just putting them
              (as a font suitcase or individual files) in the Fonts folder in the
              System folder, should work. You can do this either in SS or in OSX.