Re: [wpmac] Inserting an additional row into an existing table

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
      As far as I know, the answer to your question is No. However, a
      single press of the down arrow key to move to the next table row
      isn't that hard, is it?

      One thing that may help is that you can add an Insert Table Row
      button to your toolbar, which is a lot easier than using the menu
      command.
      --

      Bob Stern
    • Daryl Chinn
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
        You can create a macro do to this:

        1. Create a table of any size.
        2. Place the cursor at any point above where you want
        to add a row.
        3. Under Tool/Macro/Record, name your macro (I used
        "Add Row Below")
        4. Assign key strokes to your macro (I chose
        Option-B, but you can obviously choose anything that
        isn't already chosen). You are now ready to record
        your macro.
        5. Under Table, choose Insert. The dialog will show
        up.
        6. Choose "After Selection" and they hit "OK"
        7. Under Tools/Macro, choose "Stop Recording".

        The first time I did created this macro, the program
        froze. I force quit WP and then restarted, and then
        re-created the macro. No problem anymore. I don't
        know what caused the freeze, but the macro appears to
        be working now. You can probably edit the macro or
        create others to insert rows or columns, but I haven't
        tried all the possibilities, just the problem you've
        mentioned.

        The macro, if you look at its text, has one line (no
        quotation marks):

        "Insert Row (1;After Selection)"

        where 1 is the number of rows you want to insert.

        Hope this helps. Kinda cool to be able to do this so
        easily with WP.

        Daryl
        --- "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

        > From time to time, I need to insert an additional
        > row into a table
        > that I have previously created. Table > Insert... >
        > presents, by
        > default, the insertion of one row "Before
        > Selection." Almost always,
        > I want to insert the new row "After Selection."
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
          Daryl Chinn wrote:

          >You can create a macro do to this:
          >
          >[....]
          >
          >The first time I did created this macro, the program
          >froze. I force quit WP and then restarted, and then
          >re-created the macro. No problem anymore. I don't
          >know what caused the freeze, but the macro appears to
          >be working now. You can probably edit the macro or
          >create others to insert rows or columns, but I haven't
          >tried all the possibilities, just the problem you've
          >mentioned.
          >
          >The macro, if you look at its text, has one line (no
          >quotation marks):
          >
          >"Insert Row (1;After Selection)"
          >
          >where 1 is the number of rows you want to insert.
          >
          >Hope this helps. Kinda cool to be able to do this so
          >easily with WP.

          Thank you. That works. :-)

          Not that it is a chose to invoke the macro, but I guess there is no
          way to alter WP's preferences to affect this behavior.

          --

          John
        • RBRoufberg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
            In a message dated 3/3/08 9:35:23 AM, kd4vs@... writes:

            > From time to time, I need to insert an additional row into a table
            > that I have previously created.  Table > Insert... > presents, by
            > default, the insertion of one row "Before Selection."  Almost always,
            > I want to insert the new row "After Selection."  However, I have not
            > found any way to alter the default value so that the insertion will
            > occur "After Section" as opposed to "Before Selection".
            >
            > Am I overlooking something?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
            >
            > My WP gives a choice between either before or after selection. But if you
            dn't have that option, you may be overlooking the idea of selecting the row
            BELOW the place you want your new row to be. Then, when you choose to insert
            "before selection," it will be located where you want it. If you're already at
            the bottom row, just add a temporary row, which you can delete after
            inserting your new row.

            Ruth R.

          • J.J. McVeigh
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
              RBRoufberg@... wrote:

              > > From time to time, I need to insert an additional row into a table
              >> that I have previously created. Table > Insert... > presents, by
              >> default, the insertion of one row "Before Selection." Almost always,
              >> I want to insert the new row "After Selection." However, I have not
              >> found any way to alter the default value so that the insertion will
              >> occur "After Section" as opposed to "Before Selection".
              >>
              >> Am I overlooking something? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
              >>
              >> My WP gives a choice between either before or after selection. But if you
              >don't have that option,

              I do in fact have that option, but when the dialog box opens, Before
              is pre-selected, and it is necessary to manually change the
              preselected "Before" to "After."

              > you may be overlooking the idea of selecting the row
              >BELOW the place you want your new row to be. Then, when you choose to insert
              >"before selection," it will be located where you want it. If
              >you're already at
              >the bottom row, just add a temporary row, which you can delete after
              >inserting your new row.

              Yes, I understand, but it is often more convenient to be able to
              insert the extra row after where the cursor is sitting, rather than
              to have to move the cursor. Consider, for example, wanting to add an
              extra line when you are already in the last row and in the rightmost
              column of the table.

              The macro that Daryl Chinn suggested is more convenient in that
              circumstance (which I typically the situation in which I want to add
              an extra line.)

              Thank you, anyway, for your suggestion.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                >J.J. McVeigh wrote:
                >
                >Consider, for example, wanting to add an extra line when you are
                >already in the last row and in the rightmost column of the table.

                Simply press the Tab key!
                --

                Bob Stern
              • J.J. McVeigh
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Bob Stern wrote:

                  > >Consider, for example, wanting to add an extra line when you are
                  >>already in the last row and in the rightmost column of the table.
                  >
                  >Simply press the Tab key!

                  Wow, that's great! Didn't know that! Thanks, Bob!
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                    > Bob Stern wrote:
                    >
                    > >>Consider, for example, wanting to add an extra line when you are
                    > >>already in the last row and in the rightmost column of the table.
                    > >
                    > >Simply press the Tab key!
                    >
                    > Wow, that's great! Didn't know that! Thanks, Bob!

                    That's been in "Tips & Macros" for some years now.

                    Harrumph.