Re: [wpmac] SheepShaver print crash (was: Getting a ROM)

  • Daly Jessup
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      John wrote:

      >The last version of the LaserWriter 8 driver, 8.7.3, is included in
      >the SheepShaver install (IIRC I added it for v. 1.1). It's in the
      >"Extensions (disabled)" folder of the System folder; enable it with
      >Extensions Manager.
      >
      >This Laserwriter driver is also a separate download in the Files
      >section here, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin".
      >
      >It should work just like the Adobe PS driver. I'll be interested if
      >you find that one works better than the other.

      Well, thank you very much. I went to Extensions Manager, found
      LaserWriter 8.7.3 and activated the extension and restarted. I tried
      then to choose LaserWriter in the Chooser, but was told I had to
      start AppleTalk. When I tried to activate AppleTalk I was told that
      it required AppleTalk, and then the next message told me AppleTalk
      could not be opened.

      So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
      TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
      connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
      no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

      Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
      "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.

      So I tried again to choose LaserWriter, and couldn't because of the
      AppleTalk issue. So I closed the Chooser and started WordPerfect,
      typed a bit, and chose File/Print. I told it to print. The printer
      offered this time was not Adobe PS, but the MFC-7420 (which I have
      since learned is a Brother multifunction laser printer). I was
      allowed to choose to print, then got the dialog asking if it should
      be a PDF or print, and I chose Print, and amazingly, the job went to
      my Apple LaserWriter, and printed out a hard copy!

      I have no idea how that happened, or where AppleTalk and TCP/IP have gone.

      Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
      LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
      to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
      engine has reported an error."

      Hm, have most people upgraded the OS inside SheepShaver to something
      beyond the 7.5 that comes with it? If that's the problem, could
      someone tell me how to upgrade the OS? Maybe that's the problem with
      AppleTalk and TCP/IP? Anyway, the happy news is that as of now, it
      does seem to be printing. Thank you!

      Daly
      ----------------------
    • hnd/general
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
        Hello Daly and other friends!
        > So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
        > TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
        > connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
        > no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

        1. You need to turn on AppleTalk with the button in the Chooser window.
        (AppleTalk Active/Inactive).

        2. The AppleTalk control panel in older OS versions is called Network. It
        will offer you Built-In LocalTalk or Built-In Ethernet or possibly other
        options; experiment...

        3. You shouldn't need TCP/IP for printing since you are using AppleTalk
        protocols instead of that.

        > Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
        > "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.

        4. OK, you have the Desktop Printer extension enabled, but this is probably
        working through LW8. LW8 needs a PPD (PostScript printer definition) file
        for the specific laser printer you are using. It tries to identify the model
        the model, and in this case it has failed to do so but picked an
        alternative. Running the Desktop Printer Utility which was probably
        installed with LW8 would let you change the setup. More easily, try the
        following:

        a. select the desktop printer icon "MFC-7420". A new menu item "Printing"
        should appear on the menu bar (I'm working through this on a Mac running OS
        9 but I think OS 7 works similarly).

        b. From the Printing menu select Change Setup... . This will probably show
        that you are using a Generic PPD file. Use the Change... button. A list of
        PPDs should appear, including maybe three variants of "LaserWriter 16/600
        PS".

        c. Select the plain one (unless you have a fax version or some other
        variant) and click Select.

        d. If necessary change the Installable Options by hand or use Auto Setup;
        then click OK.

        e. Rename your desktop printer icon to something more sensible.

        5. That assumes you have the PPD file. This is usually sitting in the System
        Folder, in Extensions, and (in later OS) in a folder called Printer
        Descriptions. I have it anyway, which means it is part of the standard
        installation.

        > Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
        > LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
        > to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
        > engine has reported an error."

        6. This is a common problem with ShrinkWrap and/or Stuffit and drives me
        mad... Someone has used a more recent version of the compression engine and
        the old extractor won't work. Then I try to install a more recent version
        and it won't extract itself because it needs a more recent OS or
        something... I haven't a satisfactory answer to it, and I wish people would
        use the sea (self-extracting archive) approach a bit more considerately,
        especially those actually supporting old OSs.

        Have fun!

        Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
      • Daly Jessup
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          I had written:

          > > So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
          >> TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
          >> connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
          > > no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

          Hugh Dobbs answered:

          >1. You need to turn on AppleTalk with the button in the Chooser window.
          >(AppleTalk Active/Inactive).

          I tried that over and over, but the AppleTalk "Active" button would
          appear momentarily, and then go back to "Inactive." Then an error
          message would say, "Please make sure you are connected to an
          AppleTalk network," I click OK then get another error message saying,
          "AppleTalk cannot be opened."

          >2. The AppleTalk control panel in older OS versions is called Network. It
          >will offer you Built-In LocalTalk or Built-In Ethernet or possibly other
          >options; experiment...

          I have no AppleTalk control panel or extension, and no Network item
          in Extensions Manager or in the System folder. Also, I tried to
          search for them in the Finder, using File/Find, but I have no Find
          function. Nothing would happen when I chose File/Find or Command-F.

          I do have an AppleShare icon on the left in the Chooser. When I
          select it I get an error message that says, "AppleShare Client 3.8.3
          requires Open Transport 1.1.2 or later. Use the Network Software
          Selector to make sure that Open Transport is active, then check the
          TCP/IP and AppleTalk Control Panels to make sure that they are
          properly set up."

          As I said, though, there are no Open Transport items in the System
          folder, nor Network, nor TCP/IP, or AppleTalk.

          >3. You shouldn't need TCP/IP for printing since you are using AppleTalk
          >protocols instead of that.

          True, though the message above indicates that AppleTalk is looking
          for it. Except I have no AppleTalk. Hm.

          > > Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
          >> "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.
          >
          >4. OK, you have the Desktop Printer extension enabled, but this is probably
          >working through LW8. LW8 needs a PPD (PostScript printer definition) file
          >for the specific laser printer you are using. It tries to identify the model
          >the model, and in this case it has failed to do so but picked an
          >alternative. Running the Desktop Printer Utility which was probably
          >installed with LW8 would let you change the setup. More easily, try the
          >following:

          Just a comment, but there is no Desktop Printer Utility in my
          SheepShaver/OS 7.5 installation.

          >a. select the desktop printer icon "MFC-7420". A new menu item "Printing"
          >should appear on the menu bar (I'm working through this on a Mac running OS
          >9 but I think OS 7 works similarly).
          >
          >b. From the Printing menu select Change Setup... . This will probably show
          >that you are using a Generic PPD file. Use the Change... button. A list of
          >PPDs should appear, including maybe three variants of "LaserWriter 16/600
          >PS".

          Interesting. You are right about getting the Printing menu, but under
          "Change Setup" where it shows the contents of the printer
          descriptions folder, there is ONLY "Acrobat Distiller". Not even this
          generic MFC-7420! I looked directly in the Extensions
          folder/Printer Descriptions folder and sure enough, it contains only
          that one item!

          >5. That assumes you have the PPD file. This is usually sitting in the System
          >Folder, in Extensions, and (in later OS) in a folder called Printer
          >Descriptions. I have it anyway, which means it is part of the standard
          >installation.

          I'm gathering that there is something wrong with my installation, but
          I can't imagine how that could happen. The installer is so
          straightforward, and I have reinstalled SheepShaver from scratch at
          least five times.

          > > Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
          >> LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
          >> to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
          >> engine has reported an error."
          >
          >6. This is a common problem with ShrinkWrap and/or Stuffit and drives me
          >mad... Someone has used a more recent version of the compression engine and
          >the old extractor won't work. Then I try to install a more recent version
          >and it won't extract itself because it needs a more recent OS or
          >something... I haven't a satisfactory answer to it, and I wish people would
          >use the sea (self-extracting archive) approach a bit more considerately,
          >especially those actually supporting old OSs.

          Yes, the LaserWriter 8.6.1 I downloaded from the Files section on the
          SheepShaver site won't open. So I opened it in OS X and read the
          readme. It will only work with OS 8.5 or higher, and my SheepShaver
          is using the original OS 7.5.

          That's why I wondered if I need to upgrade the system in SheepShaver.

          If everyone isn't completely sick of my questions, could someone
          explain how you go about installing an upgraded OS in SheepShaver? I
          have CDs for OS 8.5, 8.6, and on up.

          The one time I tried, I got a message that the hardware of this
          computer would not support that operating system, since I was trying
          to install from within SheepShaver, I assumed the installer was
          perceiving the SheepShaver environment as being some earlier hardware
          version? Or do I dream?

          Thank you very much, Hugh, for trying to help me sort this out.

          Daly