Re: password protected documents

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
      Tom,

      It's interesting that when you used NeoOffice to open
      the password-protected WP doc, you got hash, but
      when I did I got a blank file. I wonder why? My protected
      WP file had no content other than "This is a test"
      repeated a few times. Was yours longer? Mine initially
      had .wpd as its extension. I changed it to .txt, and
      NeoOffice asked me about ASCII characters and then
      displayed a few lines of ##### preceded by WPC and
      followed by PRT and some other characters - perhaps
      the #### was a stand-in for protected text? I tried
      .doc and no extension, and NeoOffice inconsistently
      either displayed the same #### or crashed.

      Either way, the password protection seemed to have worked.

      Pam

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
      wrote:

      > > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
      > > with a blank document. The document window had the
      > > document's title, but no content.
      >
      > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
      > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
      > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
      > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
      > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
      > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
      > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
      > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
      > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

    • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
        On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:10:31PM -0600, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:
        > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
        > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
        > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
        > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
        > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
        > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
        > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
        > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
        > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

        WordPerfect used DES encryption in the U.S. versions and a weaker
        encryption algorythm in the export versions. This is becuase at
        the time it was illegal to export DES programs.

        This was also part marketing, because it made buying a copy in the
        U.S. where it was cheaper (or in some cases dongle-free) and taking
        it ouverseas a federal crime.

        If you consider that a brute force (trying every possible key) attack
        on a DES encrypted file was impossible to do in your lifetime on a 486
        PC or 68040 macintosh, you can imagine how quickly it can be done on a
        modern computer.

        I don't know if anyone has actually done it, but writing a program
        to do this would not be impossible, nor would running it.

        Geoff.

        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
        IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
          As a member of wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com who follows the
          discussion daily, I still don't understand why the people who now own
          Corel won't produce an updated version of WordPerfect for Macs. Since
          they do it for PCs, and the market share of Macs is growing, it would
          seem to make good business sense.

          Can Mike Hendriksen give us some information about this?

          Peter Derrick