SheepShaver print crash (was: Getting a ROM)

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
      > Now, if only I could get SheepShaver to stop crashing almost every
      > time I try printing!)

      Daly, don't know if your experience is like mine, but the Adobe PS
      virtual printer has become tweaky in my install (OS 8.6 on a 1.5G SS
      disk). Sometimes invoking the Print or even the Page Setup dialog makes
      SS immediately quit, other times the Print command freezes SS. Deleting
      the AdobePS Prefs (within the Printing Prefs folder inside Preferences)
      and reinstalling (using the AdobePS Installer inside the AdobePS
      Components folder) helped for a while, but the problem still reappears
      intermittently. However, I have largely switched to the LaserWriter 8
      driver (on my desktop it calls itself LW8 VP) instead of AdobePS, and
      have not had crashes or freezes. Have you had the problem with
      LaserWriter 8 too? Tom
    • Daly Jessup
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
        I wrote:

        > > Now, if only I could get SheepShaver to stop crashing almost every
        >> time I try printing!)

        Thomas answered:

        >Daly, don't know if your experience is like mine, but the Adobe PS
        >virtual printer has become tweaky in my install (OS 8.6 on a 1.5G SS
        >disk). Sometimes invoking the Print or even the Page Setup dialog makes
        >SS immediately quit, other times the Print command freezes SS. Deleting
        >the AdobePS Prefs (within the Printing Prefs folder inside Preferences)
        >and reinstalling (using the AdobePS Installer inside the AdobePS
        >Components folder) helped for a while, but the problem still reappears
        >intermittently. However, I have largely switched to the LaserWriter 8
        >driver (on my desktop it calls itself LW8 VP) instead of AdobePS, and
        >have not had crashes or freezes. Have you had the problem with
        >LaserWriter 8 too? Tom

        Yes, you are exactly describing what I have experienced. I haven't
        tried the LaserWriter driver because I don't know how to get it into
        the SheepShaver environment. All I have is the Adobe driver. Because
        of your suggestion, I have downloaded a more recent version of
        StuffIt Expander, and then an old version of the LasersWriter driver,
        but I can't mount the disk images of LaserWriter because I don't have
        Disk Copy. So I have tried three different early versions of Disk
        Copy (from OS 7.1, 7.5 and 7.6) and none of them would run under
        SheepShaver. So I tried installing TomeViewer to take a copy of Disk
        Copy from a CD but TomeViewer itself causes SheepShaver to disappear
        off the screen (crash).

        So I'm tired now and will keep working on this tomorrow. I think you
        are right. If I can figure out how to get a LaserWriter driver in
        there, it should be good.

        I have stuck with the OS 7.5 that SheepShaver installed, because I
        haven't been able to figure out how to upgrade the OS under
        SheepShaver. I'll get there, I'll get there, I'm sure.

        Daly
        ----------------------
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <daly@...> wrote:

          > Yes, you are exactly describing what I have experienced. I haven't
          > tried the LaserWriter driver because I don't know how to get it into
          > the SheepShaver environment. All I have is the Adobe driver. Because
          > of your suggestion, I have downloaded a more recent version of
          > StuffIt Expander, and then an old version of the LasersWriter driver,
          > but I can't mount the disk images of LaserWriter because I don't have
          > Disk Copy.

          The last version of the LaserWriter 8 driver, 8.7.3, is included in
          the SheepShaver install (IIRC I added it for v. 1.1). It's in the
          "Extensions (disabled)" folder of the System folder; enable it with
          Extensions Manager.

          This Laserwriter driver is also a separate download in the Files
          section here, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin".

          It should work just like the Adobe PS driver. I'll be interested if
          you find that one works better than the other.

          John R.
        • Daly Jessup
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            John wrote:

            >The last version of the LaserWriter 8 driver, 8.7.3, is included in
            >the SheepShaver install (IIRC I added it for v. 1.1). It's in the
            >"Extensions (disabled)" folder of the System folder; enable it with
            >Extensions Manager.
            >
            >This Laserwriter driver is also a separate download in the Files
            >section here, as "LaserWriter_8.6.1.smi.bin".
            >
            >It should work just like the Adobe PS driver. I'll be interested if
            >you find that one works better than the other.

            Well, thank you very much. I went to Extensions Manager, found
            LaserWriter 8.7.3 and activated the extension and restarted. I tried
            then to choose LaserWriter in the Chooser, but was told I had to
            start AppleTalk. When I tried to activate AppleTalk I was told that
            it required AppleTalk, and then the next message told me AppleTalk
            could not be opened.

            So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
            TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
            connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
            no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

            Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
            "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.

            So I tried again to choose LaserWriter, and couldn't because of the
            AppleTalk issue. So I closed the Chooser and started WordPerfect,
            typed a bit, and chose File/Print. I told it to print. The printer
            offered this time was not Adobe PS, but the MFC-7420 (which I have
            since learned is a Brother multifunction laser printer). I was
            allowed to choose to print, then got the dialog asking if it should
            be a PDF or print, and I chose Print, and amazingly, the job went to
            my Apple LaserWriter, and printed out a hard copy!

            I have no idea how that happened, or where AppleTalk and TCP/IP have gone.

            Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
            LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
            to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
            engine has reported an error."

            Hm, have most people upgraded the OS inside SheepShaver to something
            beyond the 7.5 that comes with it? If that's the problem, could
            someone tell me how to upgrade the OS? Maybe that's the problem with
            AppleTalk and TCP/IP? Anyway, the happy news is that as of now, it
            does seem to be printing. Thank you!

            Daly
            ----------------------
          • hnd/general
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
              Hello Daly and other friends!
              > So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
              > TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
              > connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
              > no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

              1. You need to turn on AppleTalk with the button in the Chooser window.
              (AppleTalk Active/Inactive).

              2. The AppleTalk control panel in older OS versions is called Network. It
              will offer you Built-In LocalTalk or Built-In Ethernet or possibly other
              options; experiment...

              3. You shouldn't need TCP/IP for printing since you are using AppleTalk
              protocols instead of that.

              > Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
              > "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.

              4. OK, you have the Desktop Printer extension enabled, but this is probably
              working through LW8. LW8 needs a PPD (PostScript printer definition) file
              for the specific laser printer you are using. It tries to identify the model
              the model, and in this case it has failed to do so but picked an
              alternative. Running the Desktop Printer Utility which was probably
              installed with LW8 would let you change the setup. More easily, try the
              following:

              a. select the desktop printer icon "MFC-7420". A new menu item "Printing"
              should appear on the menu bar (I'm working through this on a Mac running OS
              9 but I think OS 7 works similarly).

              b. From the Printing menu select Change Setup... . This will probably show
              that you are using a Generic PPD file. Use the Change... button. A list of
              PPDs should appear, including maybe three variants of "LaserWriter 16/600
              PS".

              c. Select the plain one (unless you have a fax version or some other
              variant) and click Select.

              d. If necessary change the Installable Options by hand or use Auto Setup;
              then click OK.

              e. Rename your desktop printer icon to something more sensible.

              5. That assumes you have the PPD file. This is usually sitting in the System
              Folder, in Extensions, and (in later OS) in a folder called Printer
              Descriptions. I have it anyway, which means it is part of the standard
              installation.

              > Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
              > LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
              > to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
              > engine has reported an error."

              6. This is a common problem with ShrinkWrap and/or Stuffit and drives me
              mad... Someone has used a more recent version of the compression engine and
              the old extractor won't work. Then I try to install a more recent version
              and it won't extract itself because it needs a more recent OS or
              something... I haven't a satisfactory answer to it, and I wish people would
              use the sea (self-extracting archive) approach a bit more considerately,
              especially those actually supporting old OSs.

              Have fun!

              Hugh Dobbs (hnd101)
            • Daly Jessup
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
                I had written:

                > > So I went to the Extensions Manager again to activate AppleTalk and
                >> TCP/IP control panels. (My LaserWriter 16/600 is connected to a hub
                >> connected to an Airport Extreme base station). I found that there IS
                > > no AppleTalk nor TCP/IP control panel in this installation of OS 7.5.

                Hugh Dobbs answered:

                >1. You need to turn on AppleTalk with the button in the Chooser window.
                >(AppleTalk Active/Inactive).

                I tried that over and over, but the AppleTalk "Active" button would
                appear momentarily, and then go back to "Inactive." Then an error
                message would say, "Please make sure you are connected to an
                AppleTalk network," I click OK then get another error message saying,
                "AppleTalk cannot be opened."

                >2. The AppleTalk control panel in older OS versions is called Network. It
                >will offer you Built-In LocalTalk or Built-In Ethernet or possibly other
                >options; experiment...

                I have no AppleTalk control panel or extension, and no Network item
                in Extensions Manager or in the System folder. Also, I tried to
                search for them in the Finder, using File/Find, but I have no Find
                function. Nothing would happen when I chose File/Find or Command-F.

                I do have an AppleShare icon on the left in the Chooser. When I
                select it I get an error message that says, "AppleShare Client 3.8.3
                requires Open Transport 1.1.2 or later. Use the Network Software
                Selector to make sure that Open Transport is active, then check the
                TCP/IP and AppleTalk Control Panels to make sure that they are
                properly set up."

                As I said, though, there are no Open Transport items in the System
                folder, nor Network, nor TCP/IP, or AppleTalk.

                >3. You shouldn't need TCP/IP for printing since you are using AppleTalk
                >protocols instead of that.

                True, though the message above indicates that AppleTalk is looking
                for it. Except I have no AppleTalk. Hm.

                > > Somewhere in the middle of all that, though, a Desktop Printer called
                >> "MFC-7420" was created on my Desktop.
                >
                >4. OK, you have the Desktop Printer extension enabled, but this is probably
                >working through LW8. LW8 needs a PPD (PostScript printer definition) file
                >for the specific laser printer you are using. It tries to identify the model
                >the model, and in this case it has failed to do so but picked an
                >alternative. Running the Desktop Printer Utility which was probably
                >installed with LW8 would let you change the setup. More easily, try the
                >following:

                Just a comment, but there is no Desktop Printer Utility in my
                SheepShaver/OS 7.5 installation.

                >a. select the desktop printer icon "MFC-7420". A new menu item "Printing"
                >should appear on the menu bar (I'm working through this on a Mac running OS
                >9 but I think OS 7 works similarly).
                >
                >b. From the Printing menu select Change Setup... . This will probably show
                >that you are using a Generic PPD file. Use the Change... button. A list of
                >PPDs should appear, including maybe three variants of "LaserWriter 16/600
                >PS".

                Interesting. You are right about getting the Printing menu, but under
                "Change Setup" where it shows the contents of the printer
                descriptions folder, there is ONLY "Acrobat Distiller". Not even this
                generic MFC-7420! I looked directly in the Extensions
                folder/Printer Descriptions folder and sure enough, it contains only
                that one item!

                >5. That assumes you have the PPD file. This is usually sitting in the System
                >Folder, in Extensions, and (in later OS) in a folder called Printer
                >Descriptions. I have it anyway, which means it is part of the standard
                >installation.

                I'm gathering that there is something wrong with my installation, but
                I can't imagine how that could happen. The installer is so
                straightforward, and I have reinstalled SheepShaver from scratch at
                least five times.

                > > Anyway, to try to answer your question at the end, I downloaded
                >> LaserWriter_8.6.1 and moved it to the SheepShaver Desktop. When I try
                >> to un-bin it, I get an error message saying that "The ShrinkWrap
                >> engine has reported an error."
                >
                >6. This is a common problem with ShrinkWrap and/or Stuffit and drives me
                >mad... Someone has used a more recent version of the compression engine and
                >the old extractor won't work. Then I try to install a more recent version
                >and it won't extract itself because it needs a more recent OS or
                >something... I haven't a satisfactory answer to it, and I wish people would
                >use the sea (self-extracting archive) approach a bit more considerately,
                >especially those actually supporting old OSs.

                Yes, the LaserWriter 8.6.1 I downloaded from the Files section on the
                SheepShaver site won't open. So I opened it in OS X and read the
                readme. It will only work with OS 8.5 or higher, and my SheepShaver
                is using the original OS 7.5.

                That's why I wondered if I need to upgrade the system in SheepShaver.

                If everyone isn't completely sick of my questions, could someone
                explain how you go about installing an upgraded OS in SheepShaver? I
                have CDs for OS 8.5, 8.6, and on up.

                The one time I tried, I got a message that the hardware of this
                computer would not support that operating system, since I was trying
                to install from within SheepShaver, I assumed the installer was
                perceiving the SheepShaver environment as being some earlier hardware
                version? Or do I dream?

                Thank you very much, Hugh, for trying to help me sort this out.

                Daly