Re: password protected documents

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, m_hendriksen_cvg no_reply@
      wrote:

      > > As a person who supported WordPerfect for the Macintosh when it was
      > > still be deveoped and sold by WordPerfect Corporation I can assure
      > > you that even if you are able to get the WP Mac 3.5x application
      > > working, unless you remember the password, you _will not_ be able to
      > > open the files. I remember the people who worked on the encryption
      > > project. They were brilliant and knew what they were doing, and they
      > > did not leave a "back door" anywhere to make it possible to open
      > > locked files. That is what made the security of locked documents so
      > > compelling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope that you
      wrote
      > > the password(s) you used down somewhere or used the same password
      > > somewhere else so you can find it.
      >
      > That fits with my memory that WPCorp. said they had no means to break
      > the encryption, unlike Claris Corp., who would open a protected
      > Filemaker database for you if you sent them the file and claimed you
      > owned it.
      >
      > > Mike Hendriksen, former I.T. Macintosh Technician for the Mac Group
      > > at WPCorp and at NOVELL
      >
      > Mike, welcome to the group. I'm especially glad to see old WP hands
      > like yourself here, since you may have knowledge that just isn't
      > available anywhere else.
      >
      > John R.

    • Kevin Lepard
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
        If the file is sufficiently valuable, there are options for cracking
        it back open, though many of them require a Windows box. The
        Wordperfect encryption was far from secure.

        Just for starters see:

        pwcrack.com
        recovery-corel-wordperfect.qarchive.org
        http://www.jjtc.com/Security/cryptanalysis.htm
        http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/2287
        http://www.1000files.com/Utilities/Security_and_Encryption/WordPerfect_Key_7592_Review.html
        http://www.lostpassword.com/wordperfect.htm
        http://www.crackpassword.com/products/detail.php?ID=86&phrase_id=5357115
        --
        Kevin O. Lepard, MD, PhD, FACEP, FAAEM

        Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.
      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
          > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
          > with a blank document. The document window had the
          > document's title, but no content.

          Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
          WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
          unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
          utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
          corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
          Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
          I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
          Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
          Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom
        • pjandlar
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
            Tom,

            It's interesting that when you used NeoOffice to open
            the password-protected WP doc, you got hash, but
            when I did I got a blank file. I wonder why? My protected
            WP file had no content other than "This is a test"
            repeated a few times. Was yours longer? Mine initially
            had .wpd as its extension. I changed it to .txt, and
            NeoOffice asked me about ASCII characters and then
            displayed a few lines of ##### preceded by WPC and
            followed by PRT and some other characters - perhaps
            the #### was a stand-in for protected text? I tried
            .doc and no extension, and NeoOffice inconsistently
            either displayed the same #### or crashed.

            Either way, the password protection seemed to have worked.

            Pam

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
            wrote:

            > > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
            > > with a blank document. The document window had the
            > > document's title, but no content.
            >
            > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
            > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
            > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
            > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
            > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
            > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
            > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
            > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
            > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

          • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
              On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:10:31PM -0600, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:
              > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
              > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
              > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
              > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
              > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
              > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
              > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
              > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
              > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

              WordPerfect used DES encryption in the U.S. versions and a weaker
              encryption algorythm in the export versions. This is becuase at
              the time it was illegal to export DES programs.

              This was also part marketing, because it made buying a copy in the
              U.S. where it was cheaper (or in some cases dongle-free) and taking
              it ouverseas a federal crime.

              If you consider that a brute force (trying every possible key) attack
              on a DES encrypted file was impossible to do in your lifetime on a 486
              PC or 68040 macintosh, you can imagine how quickly it can be done on a
              modern computer.

              I don't know if anyone has actually done it, but writing a program
              to do this would not be impossible, nor would running it.

              Geoff.

              --
              Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
              IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
                As a member of wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com who follows the
                discussion daily, I still don't understand why the people who now own
                Corel won't produce an updated version of WordPerfect for Macs. Since
                they do it for PCs, and the market share of Macs is growing, it would
                seem to make good business sense.

                Can Mike Hendriksen give us some information about this?

                Peter Derrick