SheepShaver - Error message about hardware when playing game

  • masquerade_ivy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi, this is my first post. :)

      I downloaded and installed SheepShaver so I could play
      Monkey Island 4. However every time I run the game
      there is no picture (but there is sound) and then
      suddenly a error message comes up saying something
      like "Check to make sure you are not running an
      application that has exclusive control over the hardware
      - Could not initialize hardware"

      Can anybody tell me if there is a way in which I can fix
      this? Is it a problem with SheepShaver or my game?

      Thanks.

      *mi*
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        forum. The place to get good answers about Sheepshaver and
        games is www.emaculation.com. They've got plenty of people there
        who are experts in these things. Around here, we tend to know things
        about WordPerfect.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "masquerade_ivy" <masquerade_ivy@...> wrote:

        > I downloaded and installed SheepShaver so I could play
        > Monkey Island 4. However every time I run the game
      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          In a message dated 2008.03.01 18:34 -0500, masquerade_ivy wrote:

          > I downloaded and installed SheepShaver so I could play
          > Monkey Island 4. However every time I run the game
          > there is no picture (but there is sound) and then
          > suddenly a error message comes up saying something
          > like "Check to make sure you are not running an
          > application that has exclusive control over the hardware
          > - Could not initialize hardware"

          I don't know Monkey Island 4, but it sounds like it must bypass Mac OS
          system calls to talk directly to the hardware. An emulator can't do much
          about that.
          --
          John K.