Increasing SheepShaver volume size (was: One question about,,,)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008

      > Sorry, I have trawled through the archives and I am obviously not
      > finding the the right search terms. I have upgraded to 1.1 and there
      > was a discussion some time ago about how to create a larger
      > Sheepshaver volume and then how to copy everything across from the
      > volume supplied. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

      I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
      like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
      bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You
      then have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.

      Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what
      you need from one to the other.

      Start SS again. It should boot off the old volume and mount the
      new volume too. Find the System Folder on the new volume; it
      should have a badge, like an icon, on it indicating that the OS
      recognizes it as an active System Folder.

      If there's no badge, open the folder and double-click on the Finder
      file. A dialog should say that it's system software and can't be opened.
      OK that and close the folder; you should now see the badge.

      Quit SS, and move the old volume somewhere. Start SS and it
      should boot off the new volume.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
        John

        It worked like a dream. I now have a 1.5Gb Sheepshaver volume running
        8.6. Anyone know if there is still an online updater for 8.6? Usual
        problem that the first time I launch sheepshaver it hides (and turns
        into a document) the Unix Disk, which, because I was forgetful, was
        my entire Home Documents folder. An hour or so later I had retrieved
        its contents, created a new Documents folder and was back to normal -
        Unix is now a subfolder within Documents.

        Like Daly and Tom, Adobe PS crashed Sheepshaver in 8.6. I'm trying
        Laserwriter 8.

        Thanks again

        >> Sorry, I have trawled through the archives and I am obviously not
        >> finding the the right search terms. I have upgraded to 1.1 and there
        >> was a discussion some time ago about how to create a larger
        >> Sheepshaver volume and then how to copy everything across from the
        >> volume supplied. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
        >
        >I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
        >like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
        >bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You
        >then have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.
        >
        >Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what
        >you need from one to the other.
        >
        >Start SS again. It should boot off the old volume and mount the
        >new volume too. Find the System Folder on the new volume; it
        >should have a badge, like an icon, on it indicating that the OS
        >recognizes it as an active System Folder.
        >
        >If there's no badge, open the folder and double-click on the Finder
        >file. A dialog should say that it's system software and can't be opened.
        >OK that and close the folder; you should now see the badge.
        >
        >Quit SS, and move the old volume somewhere. Start SS and it
        >should boot off the new volume.
        >
        >John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          >John Rethorst wrote:
          >
          >I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
          >like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
          >bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You then
          >have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.
          >
          >Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what you
          >need from one to the other.

          I found that merely mounting the old and new volumes in OS X and
          dragging data from the old volume to the new volume somehow created a
          problem in the old volume. Although OS X Disk Utility said both
          problems needed no repairs, OS 7 Disk First Aid said both volumes had
          a B-Tree error that it could not repair.

          I then trashed both volumes, reinstalled the volume from John's SS
          installer 1.1, created a new volume in SheepShaver GUI, launched SS,
          and copied the contents of the original volume to the new volume
          within SS OS. It was 3 times slower than copying within OS X, but it
          created no errors in Disk First Aid. After removing the old volume
          SS GUI, I successfully booted into the new volume.

          On a related topic, I confirmed that OS 7.5 cannot handle "sparse
          image" disk images. If you try to add one within SS GUI, when you
          launch SS the OS 7.5 Finder will say the disk is unreadable and will
          offer to erase and initialize it. Does anyone remember what was the
          first version of MacOS that could recognize "sparse image" disk
          images?

          Caution: I found that selecting a new Startup Disk in the OS 7.5
          Startup Disk control panel crashes SheepShaver. It may be prudent to
          remove it from the Control Panels folder.
          --

          Bob Stern